Bobby Very Positive at Triad Event

The Triaad Alumni Event was successful again. Conratulations are in order to Nick & Co for setting this up again. Representation from this board was good. Besides myself, board posters included HP49er, JimmyHat, 49erAl, Alumnus, Neo, & probably some I don’t know about. Future judge Richard Durham, who at least reads the board, was there as well.

Bobby was very positive about our team this year. He did express disappointment over Mitch’s new injury. Pigford’s return is still uncertain. He talked about scheduling & said there are only a handful of teams he would consider scheduling for a 2 for 1. Duke was one of them. Wake is not. Talks were in the works to play Cincy after the conference split, but that won’t happen anytime soon because of previous Cincy committments. Forget Louisville (no surprise there). A series with Marquette won’t happen. The names of Gonzaga, UNLV, Tennessee, & some others were also mentioned but nothing has developed & nothing is in the works. He did imply that a lot of teams are afraid of us.

As we all know, we are gonna be deep this year. He said it is our deepest team since the year we had Rodney. He had high praises for many of our players, but mostly stuff we’ve already heard.

He also stated that CUSA is viewed with much more respect in the midwest than it is here in NC (I think many of us already knew that) and said many teams & fans in some other areas of the country think at least as highly of Charlotte (& sometimes more so) than they do of certain other teams in our state. I’ll stop with this issue now, because it will lead to my local-media bashing again.

HP & Richard both discussed with me the possibility of taking major road trips in the future since conference away games will soon be a little easier to get to. Sounds like fun to me.

GO NINERS!!!

B) B) B)

Thanks for the recap.

I agree with Bobby that Wake shouldn’t warrant a 2 for 1. Not sure any ACC school other than Duke (at this point) should, in my opinion. Gonzaga would be a fun series for sure.

Thanks for the summary, Over. Hate to hear that about Louisville & Marquette but I think we all knew it was coming. I REALLY hope we are able to continue a series with Cincy, they are just so much fun to hate. :smiley:

I’d love to see a 2 for 1 with Duke but they probably wouldn’t even go for the 1. Heck, I’d just love to see how we would doe in Cameron. I wouldn’t give Wake a 2 for 1 unless we got to play them this year. If Chris Paul returns I think I’d say go for it, but doubt he’ll come back.

Glad C-USA is getting respect somewhere, to bad it’s too late.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Oct 20 2004, 08:40 PM [b] Thanks for the recap.

I agree with Bobby that Wake shouldn’t warrant a 2 for 1. Not sure any ACC school other than Duke (at this point) should, in my opinion. Gonzaga would be a fun series for sure. [/b]

He went into detail explaining how too many 2-for-1s can make it tough to schedule the number of necessary home games in future years because all the additioinal away games catch up with you.

[i]Originally posted by Over40NINER[/i]@Oct 20 2004, 08:51 PM [b] He went into detail explaining how too many 2-for-1s can make it tough to schedule the number of necessary home games in future years because all the additioinal away games catch up with you. [/b]
I agree with that and it's likely the primary argument against it, but the element of respect has to play a part as well, even if it's a small one. Probably me being a bit jaded, but we've proved ourselves enough to warrant only 1-for-1's with most teams around the country.

Glad several posters here made it to the event. Good to see Bobby talking to our fans up I-85.

[i]Originally posted by forDniner[/i]@Oct 20 2004, 08:47 PM [b] ....I REALLY hope we are able to continue a series with Cincy, they are just so much fun to hate. :D....

I’d love to see a 2 for 1 with Duke but they probably wouldn’t even go for the 1. Heck, I’d just love to see how we would doe in Cameron…

[/b]

He stated Cincy is at least 2 years away after the conference split, if it happens at all.

I was at our game against Duke in Cameron about 14 or 15 years ago. We gave them a fit & came very close to winning. Their fans knew all about our coach & had a great deal of respect for him… of course the coach was Mullins. :slight_smile: I thought their fans were very civilized in that game. They did the cheers-in-unison stuff but were very hospitable & not one bit rude.

While I would like to see us play Wake, I know they are indeed scared to play us. I grew up in Winston and personally like Wake Forest. I even like their coach Skip Prosser. However, he has made it clear that he won’t play us at all because he believes he has nothing to gain and everything to lose. Terrible excuse in my opinion and one reason why my love for Wake isn’t what it was.

The coach also cleared up the Bennet question for us as well. He said he will play next year and that will be his only year of eligibilty, one and done. He did say it is the worst thing he has ever seen the NCAA do to a kid and if it was his kid he would have hired a lawyer.

Said he would probably do 2 for 1 with Carolina and mentioned Odom refuses to play us as well. He didn’t really see a reason to continue play ECU, but would play that one by ear(think it all depends on Clay Aiken).

He said the move to Atlantic 10 has had some effect on recruiting and I got the impression that is why we lost Neal.

His biggest concern is defense, especially our on the ball defense. We will probably still be very perimeter oriented, but will continue to try and develope our inside game.

He did say Dee Toliver was leaving the program, not sure if that had been mentioned on the board yet.

Over 40…you must have forgotten the Duke fans calling Rodney Odom “scrotum” when he went to shoot free throws and don’t forget the old Duke freak behind me who thought it was inappropriate for me to stand up when the Niners scored.

Good event last night, wish there had been a few more locals there, the place was packed when I left with people viewing baseball.

Most everything has been mentioned already but in personally talking with Bobby you can tell he’s excited with the prospects of this team.

BTW, someone had asked earlier about the Georgia State series. It is a 2 for 1, with the hopes of recruiting more in Georgia. He thinks it could be a good series, with the Panthers moving in 2006 to the CAA. Georgia and Ga Tech had no interest (imagine that) in scheduling the 49ers.

Ironic to the recruiting trail, to the best of my knowledge, Jerrell Jamison will be the first 49er player from the state of South Carolina.

Interesting on the scheduling front:

Too bad about Lous. and Cinci, looks like little or no chance we will be playing them much in the future, especially Lou. we had some great games with them thru the years, and we always liked shooting in Freedom Hall.

It seems to me that scheduling SEC schools is as valuable to us as ACC schools these days, just my opinion, hope we can keep SEC schools on our schedule. We have not matched up very well against the SEC but they are good games for the region and our RPI.

Suprised to hear we will not be trying to schedule ECU, that is a good one to have.

In terms of ACC interest level it seems that WF, Carolina and Clemson are the best to have for the region. Duke and State would seem to be a lower priority.

Good news. Any word on where Dee Tolliver is going?

I like the thought of the Georgia State series. I hate that Tech/UGA will not schedule us, but not surprised. Georgia State has a decent program and it’s good for us down in Georgia to get to see the Niners.

[i]Originally posted by amnesiac[/i]@Oct 21 2004, 10:00 AM [b] Suprised to hear we will not be trying to schedule ECU, that is a good one to have. [/b]
Bobby said ECU's RPI right now isn't good enough to help and likely will drop more in a revamped C-USA. We could replace a UNCA type team with them maybe...

Scheduling is far more complicated than most of us realize, you must balance a lot; home/away first in the series, 2-for-1 games, budget/travel constraints, recruiting in an area, etc. He told me Gregg Marshall at Winthrop was not interested in a game with us, even for $40000. It would be a nice local contest. He had a game with Clemson and felt they had a better shot at defeating them than the 49ers. :rolleyes:

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Oct 21 2004, 08:02 AM [b] Ironic to the recruiting trail, to the best of my knowledge, Jerrell Jamison will be the first 49er player from the state of South Carolina. [/b]
Nope. We had a SC player in the '70s. He was the SC HS All Star game MVP I think. Henry was his first name, last name escapes me.

You are correct, Henry Caldwell was from Columbia and on the NIT and Final Four squads.

[i]Originally posted by ATL_Niner[/i]@Oct 21 2004, 10:20 AM [b] Good news. Any word on where Dee Tolliver is going?

I like the thought of the Georgia State series. I hate that Tech/UGA will not schedule us, but not surprised. Georgia State has a decent program and it’s good for us down in Georgia to get to see the Niners. [/b]

I think he is going to work for Nike and is driving to Portland right now. Apparently college coaching just wasn’t for him.

[i]Originally posted by ninermike[/i]@Oct 21 2004, 06:57 AM [b] Over 40...you must have forgotten the Duke fans calling Rodney Odom "scrotum" when he went to shoot free throws and don't forget the old Duke freak behind me who thought it was inappropriate for me to stand up when the Niners scored. [/b]
The Duke fans I sat with were very polite. I think the politeness was aimed at Coach Mullins more so than the 49er program. I had one of the worst spectator experiences I've ever had in the dean dome but that's a different story.

GO NINERS!!!

I remember the fans were pretty cool with us until we made that run late to turn a 14 point lead to 6 with 2 or 3 to go. When me and my boys stood up and started hollering from the excitement the student body of about 2,000 started chanting SIT DOWN SIT DOWN SIT DOWN. It was amazing. Individually they aren’t very scary but 2,000 of them are pretty intimidating.