Brett Jensen on WFNZ about C49 Football

So, I cautiously listened to the [I]wondeful [/I]WFNZ today trying to hear if there was news on Peppers signing anything (of course he didnā€™t), but what I did hear was something pretty awesome!

Brett Jensen was covering for someone today in the middle of the day show and in the 2pm hour started talking about Charlotte Football. Well, of course I turned the radio up.

He went on to say how much of a great idea football is and how much he supports it. (along with Mark Yaraborough)

Then he made a few interesting statementsā€¦

1. He said (like everyone) that as much as he loves the idea, itā€™s the worst timingā€¦ He wishes it wouldā€™ve happened 5-10 years ago.
  2. He made a good point about the first year or 2 being really tough, but once you get things rolling you can go to Clemson, South Carolina, Wake, VaTech and get paid $250,000 to come and play with ALL expenses paid! Including travel and whatnot. So, we would get a big game for the season AND get the cash to pay for all of our ā€œnon revenueā€ producing sports for the year, within ONE SATURDAYā€¦
  3. Also made a great point that if we joined SoCon for football there is NO WAY we couldnā€™t sell out at least Memorial Stadium when App St or even Western come to town.
  4. The other thing that caught my ear was probably one of the greatest statements that Iā€™ve heard come from any local media regarding C49 Football. Iā€™ll try to quote as best as possibleā€¦
    "ā€¦ Judy Rose, if youā€™re listening, PLEASE, whatever you do, DO NOT join the Big South for football! Youā€™ve already ruined your basketball program by joining the A10, the last thing you need is to destroy football before it even starts by joining the Big South. If you do that, you might as well join the A10ā€™s football conference too, cause itā€™ll be the same thingā€¦"
  5. The last thing I can remember actually came from a caller who made the exact point that all of us having been pushing with this program. Convenience. He said he had season tickets to the Panthers, Bobcats, Niners BBall, and i think Knights and he figured he better get tickets to 49ers Football, too. He said HE IS NOT AN ALUM but would much rather come to see the 49ers play 15 minutes up the road than drive 2 hours north or south on his day off.

Anyway, I just heard this and thought it was nice to have at least a couple media allies on the Radioā€¦

Thank you, Mr Jensen.

[QUOTE=ShaGGy;419365]So, I cautiously listened to the [I]wondeful [/I]WFNZ today trying to hear if there was news on Peppers signing anything (of course he didnā€™t), but what I did hear was something pretty awesome!

Brett Jensen was covering for someone today in the middle of the day show and in the 2pm hour started talking about Charlotte Football. Well, of course I turned the radio up.

He went on to say how much of a great idea football is and how much he supports it. (along with Mark Yaraborough)

Then he made a few interesting statementsā€¦

1. He said (like everyone) that as much as he loves the idea, itā€™s the worst timingā€¦ He wishes it wouldā€™ve happened 5-10 years ago.
  2. He made a good point about the first year or 2 being really tough, but once you get things rolling you can go to Clemson, South Carolina, Wake, VaTech and get paid $250,000 to come and play with ALL expenses paid! Including travel and whatnot. So, we would get a big game for the season AND get the cash to pay for all of our ā€œnon revenueā€ producing sports for the year, within ONE SATURDAYā€¦
  3. Also made a great point that if we joined SoCon for football there is NO WAY we couldnā€™t sell out at least Memorial Stadium when App St or even Western come to town.
  4. The other thing that caught my ear was probably one of the greatest statements that Iā€™ve heard come from any local media regarding C49 Football. Iā€™ll try to quote as best as possibleā€¦
    "ā€¦ Judy Rose, if youā€™re listening, PLEASE, whatever you do, DO NOT join the Big South for football! Youā€™ve already ruined your basketball program by joining the A10, the last thing you need is to destroy football before it even starts by joining the Big South. If you do that, you might as well join the A10ā€™s football conference too, cause itā€™ll be the same thingā€¦"
  5. The last thing I can remember actually came from a caller who made the exact point that all of us having been pushing with this program. Convenience. He said he had season tickets to the Panthers, Bobcats, Niners BBall, and i think Knights and he figured he better get tickets to 49ers Football, too. He said HE IS NOT AN ALUM but would much rather come to see the 49ers play 15 minutes up the road than drive 2 hours north or south on his day off.

Anyway, I just heard this and thought it was nice to have at least a couple media allies on the Radioā€¦

Thank you, Mr Jensen.[/QUOTE]

Except the A-10ā€™s football program which is the Colonial is a powerhouse.

Except the A-10's football program which is the Colonial is a powerhouse.
And the A10 was our best option for bball.
.......there is NO WAY we couldn't sell out at least Memorial Stadium when App St or even Western come to town.
Funny you should mention Memorial Stadium and App. I just got off the phone with a golfing/drinking buddy of mine I went to school with who lives in the Triad.

He thinks we need to play all games in Memorial Stadium and thinks a game there against App will sell out. Like other alums I have spoken to, he is not interested in FSLs but definitely wants to go to some games.

And the A10 was our best option for bball.
Yes indeed. It was then, and it is now.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;419375]Yes indeed. It was then, and it is now.[/QUOTE]

Truth. We wouldnā€™t have many issues with the A10 if we havenā€™t played so terrible. The blame lays on us, not the league.

Truth. We wouldn't have many issues with the A10 if we haven't played so terrible. The blame lays on us, not the league.
FTW..... We can't blame it on the league if we can't beat the other teams in that league.
FTW..... We can't blame it on the league if we can't beat the other teams in that league.
I.. think you can. See, as we all know, the Niners are good against good teams and horrible against bad teams. And since the league is chalk full of bad teams, we are suffering. If we were in a league with a lot of good teams, we'd be amazing.
I.. think you can. See, as we all know, the Niners are good against good teams and horrible against bad teams. And since the league is chalk full of bad teams, we are suffering. If we were in a league with a lot of good teams, we'd be amazing.
I can't tell if you're being serious or not, because I'm sure some people really believe that.

Playing in the Colonial for football and playing App, Western, Elon/Furman every year would be about the same thing. But the SoCon and a 20,000 seat renovated Memorial stadium funded by the city definitely sounds like the ideal situation the first 5 years.

SoCon would have a much better draw around here than Colonial wouldā€¦

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, because I'm sure some people really believe that.
Blah. I really wish there was a way to insinuate you are joking without just saying jk or something. I'm joking a lot but I guess people don't see it because I hate giving tells like that cause I feel like it kills a joke. O well.

[QUOTE=49or bust;419382]Blah. I really wish there was a way to insinuate you are joking without just saying jk or something. Iā€™m joking a lot but I guess people donā€™t see it because I hate giving tells like that cause I feel like it kills a joke. O well.[/QUOTE]

You think too muchā€¦

Playing in the Colonial for football and playing App, Western, Elon/Furman every year would be about the same thing. But the SoCon and a 20,000 seat renovated Memorial stadium funded by the city definitely sounds like the ideal situation the first 5 years.
That's fine as long as we don't have to fall backward to the SoCon in basketball. Those that think the A10 is bad (the 7th rated conference) will **** in the SoCon (the 21th rated league most years).
Funny you should mention Memorial Stadium and App. I just got off the phone with a golfing/drinking buddy of mine I went to school with who lives in the Triad.

He thinks we need to play all games in Memorial Stadium and thinks a game there against App will sell out. Like other alums I have spoken to, he is not interested in FSLs but definitely wants to go to some games.

[SIZE=4] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]We build it he will comeā€¦can he at least send a few $$$$ā€¦[/SIZE]

Anyone know the seating capacity of:

1. Memorial Stadium
  2. Belk
  3. Proposed upgraded Belk
Anyone know the seating capacity of:
  1. Memorial Stadium
  2. Belk
  3. Proposed upgraded Belk
  1. 24,000
  2. 5,000
  3. 10-12,000

Some comparisonsā€¦
Elon: 8,250
Central: 11,500
WCU: 12,000
App St: 16,650
A&T: 22, 000
Wake: 31,500
Puke: 31,941
ECU: 43,000
State: 57,082
Tarholes: 60,000

[B][SIZE=4]We build it he will come...can he at least send a few $$$$....[/SIZE][/B]
He's been far too removed from the school for a long time. He's not in the 49er Club and he's never had season basketball tickets. He just suggested Memorial Stadium because he read the article about the cost of our stadium and he understands the recession's negative impact on us, especially since he's been directly affected by the poor economy.
1. 24,000 2. 5,000 3. 10-12,000

Some comparisonsā€¦
Elon: 8,250
Central: 11,500
WCU: 12,000
CHARLOTTE 49ERS 15,000
App St: More than 16,650
A&T: 22, 000
Wake: 31,500
Puke: 31,941
ECU: 43,000
State: 57,082
Tarholes: 60,000

Fixed. Appā€™s stadium is now much larger.

Kidd Brewer Stadium will officially seat 22,000. They averaged 24,219 in 2007.