Brett Jensen on WFNZ about C49 Football

[QUOTE=HP49er;419407]Kidd Brewer Stadium will officially seat 22,000. They averaged 24,219 in 2007.[/QUOTE]

Yep, their new upgrades put them to 22,000

[QUOTE=ShaGGy;419365]So, I cautiously listened to the [I]wondeful [/I]WFNZ today trying to hear if there was news on Peppers signing anything (of course he didnā€™t), but what I did hear was something pretty awesome!

Brett Jensen was covering for someone today in the middle of the day show and in the 2pm hour started talking about Charlotte Football. Well, of course I turned the radio up.

He went on to say how much of a great idea football is and how much he supports it. (along with Mark Yaraborough)

Then he made a few interesting statementsā€¦

1. He said (like everyone) that as much as he loves the idea, itā€™s the worst timingā€¦ He wishes it wouldā€™ve happened 5-10 years ago.
  2. He made a good point about the first year or 2 being really tough, but once you get things rolling you can go to Clemson, South Carolina, Wake, VaTech and get paid $250,000 to come and play with ALL expenses paid! Including travel and whatnot. So, we would get a big game for the season AND get the cash to pay for all of our ā€œnon revenueā€ producing sports for the year, within ONE SATURDAYā€¦
  3. Also made a great point that if we joined SoCon for football there is NO WAY we couldnā€™t sell out at least Memorial Stadium when App St or even Western come to town.
  4. The other thing that caught my ear was probably one of the greatest statements that Iā€™ve heard come from any local media regarding C49 Football. Iā€™ll try to quote as best as possibleā€¦
    "ā€¦ Judy Rose, if youā€™re listening, PLEASE, whatever you do, DO NOT join the Big South for football! Youā€™ve already ruined your basketball program by joining the A10, the last thing you need is to destroy football before it even starts by joining the Big South. If you do that, you might as well join the A10ā€™s football conference too, cause itā€™ll be the same thingā€¦"
  5. The last thing I can remember actually came from a caller who made the exact point that all of us having been pushing with this program. Convenience. He said he had season tickets to the Panthers, Bobcats, Niners BBall, and i think Knights and he figured he better get tickets to 49ers Football, too. He said HE IS NOT AN ALUM but would much rather come to see the 49ers play 15 minutes up the road than drive 2 hours north or south on his day off.

Anyway, I just heard this and thought it was nice to have at least a couple media allies on the Radioā€¦

Thank you, Mr Jensen.[/QUOTE]

We continue to hear people complain about us joining the A-10 but I have yet to hear what the better option was.

[QUOTE=ninermike;419411]We continue to hear people complain about us joining the A-10 but I have yet to hear what the better option was.[/QUOTE]

That.

We continue to hear people complain about us joining the A-10 but I have yet to hear what the better option was.

Start football 10 years ago.

And the A10 was our best option for bball.

Doesnā€™t mean it doesnā€™t suck from a casual fanā€™s standpoint.

Put it this way, the A-10 is probably one of the main reasons that we are starting a football team. If the conference shake up didnā€™t leave us out in the cold, then powers that be probably wouldnā€™t be as open to looking at football.

i still like the Big south idea. Easier to win, closer teams than CAA, and smaller conference for more out of conference games.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;419380]Playing in the Colonial for football and playing App, Western, Elon/Furman every year would be about the same thing. But the SoCon and a 20,000 seat renovated Memorial stadium funded by the city definitely sounds like the ideal situation the first 5 years.[/QUOTE]

Iā€™m not sure Memorial Stadium is a viable option for the city or the university.

I read a report recently from a Civil Engineering firm that there are SERIOUS problems with one entire end of the stadium due to a creek that runs under the facility and the degradation of the conduit system. The city of Charlotte would need to spend some serious $$$$ just to get the facility back to acceptable conditions and then spend $$$ for upgrades.

I think itā€™s better to limp along on a renovated Belk stadium until the new on-campus stadium with the light rail GREEN line is completed.

Playing in the Colonial for football and playing App, Western, Elon/Furman every year would be about the same thing. But the SoCon and a 20,000 seat renovated Memorial stadium funded by the city definitely sounds like the ideal situation the first 5 years.

Maybe with Johnny Harris being more vocal about his support, that may help encourage city leaders to do a renovation to Memorial Stadium.

[QUOTE=ninerID;419419]i still like the Big south idea. Easier to win, closer teams than CAA, and smaller conference for more out of conference games.[/QUOTE]

nobody gives a damn about Big South football. At least the CAA has quality teams with more fans.

The recent deterioration/cave in at Memorial Stadium could actually be a good thing for us since it will force the city/county to spend money there. I have no problems with playing a few years at Memorialā€¦ it makes more sense to save our money for a new facility on campus than using that money on something temporary like the track plan.

Plus it will allow room for the general public to come to the games.

nobody gives a damn about Big South football. At least the CAA has quality teams with more fans.
not in disagreement with that.

I just like the fact that you would have something like only 5 conference games so you would be able to be open to more games where we get paid to get our butts handed to us and other local games.

Away games at Gardner Webb, Charleston and Myrtle Beach would be easy, versus Deleware, Richmond, RI, UMASS.

The recent deterioration/cave in at Memorial Stadium could actually be a good thing for us since it will force the city/county to spend money there. I have no problems with playing a few years at Memorial... it makes more sense to save our money for a new facility on campus than using that money on something temporary like the track plan.
Could we form a group to petition the city/county?

[QUOTE=UofC9er;419424]The recent deterioration/cave in at Memorial Stadium could actually be a good thing for us since it will force the city/county to spend money there. I have no problems with playing a few years at Memorialā€¦ it makes more sense to save our money for a new facility on campus than using that money on something temporary like the track plan.[/QUOTE]

If the City/County is footing most of the bill to make Memorial Stadium safe for humans, I could support this as a temp. venue. My main concern is they will look for us to take the financial lead on the repairs. No doubt we should contribute something, but the City/County should be bearing the brunt of the cost. Afterall, it is their structure.

Until I see otherwise, I will continue to assume that the City/County does not have the money to raise the stadiumā€™s status past trash dumpster level.

The city is going to potentially be in even worse budget problems in the coming months. NC is thinking of doing away with the city business tax which will cause the city to lose something like 16 million dollars. This will almost certainly raise property taxes next year if it goes through. Iā€™d imagine Memorial would need 10 million plus in upgrades. ODU spent 28 million renovating their stadium which is roughly the same age. They did however add luxury suites, so Iā€™m sure that was a large chunk of the cost.

The only thing that Memorial has going for it, is that it is still used for a number of events. (i.e. hs football, fireworks, oktoberfest)

[QUOTE=Niner National;419441] Iā€™d imagine Memorial would need 10 million plus in upgrades. [/QUOTE]

Based on what I know, that is probably a reasonable guess.

If the school is expected to spend $10 million dollars, Iā€™d rather see the Track be upgraded as a temporary stadium. Thats a ****load of money to spend in hope of some goodwill from the city towards the school.

I have a lot of issues with school footing the entire bill. The question remainsā€¦how much $$$ can the city/county afford to invest?

[QUOTE=bleedsgreenandgold;419444]The only thing that Memorial has going for it, is that it is still used for a number of events. (i.e. hs football, fireworks, oktoberfest)[/QUOTE]

HS football? yeah, if you are connected to the schools who are playing there. I doubt many Ardrey Kell football fans will skip their home game to watch Butler and East Meck.

Fireworks? Iā€™ve seen 'em on TV once or twice, but have to actually meet someone who watched the Mem. Stadium fireworks in person.

oktoberfest? at mem. stadium? did not know that.

donā€™t see any of these as real mainstream events.

[QUOTE=JoeSixPack;419447}]
donā€™t see any of these as real mainstream events.[/QUOTE]

Yea, that was my point. If those are the only things happening at the stadium, no use to pour money into to it. Just expand Belk so we can at least start the tradition tailgating on campus. Although, if we played in Memorial we could call the collapsed part ā€œThe Mine Shaftā€. HA!

[QUOTE=JoeSixPack;419447]
oktoberfest? at mem. stadium? did not know that.
.[/QUOTE]

This year I believe they are having it at the NC Music Factory. Could be wrong, though. Their most successful years have been at Memorial for sure.