Bring Back the Gunslingers

ESPN.com: San Antonio is Saints Likely Home Next Season

[b]According to Mortensen, San Antonio is a likely home for 2006 and Los Angeles is the preferred destination beyond that. The NFL could still include New Orleans as a Super Bowl site when the city is reconstructed, and expansion might even be a possibility, but that's 10 to 15 years away.

If the Saints relocate to San Antonio or elsewhere, New Orleans has only a slim chance of ever seeing another NFL team, according to a major sports consultant.
[/b]

Hopefully San Antonio will get a team before they allow LA to have a 3rd team. They gotta work on that logo though. The original Gunslinger logo looked like a 3rd grade design.

It’s wrong to leave NO under these circumstances.
Maybe SA in '06 until the Super Dome is rebuilt, but if Tom Benson leaves for good in NO’s time of need, he’ll look like a jerk, & SA will look bad for taking them, & so would LA.
What do you mean LA’s 3rd team. They have 0.

[i]Originally posted by stonecoldken[/i]@Oct 24 2005, 07:01 PM [b] What do you mean LA's 3rd team. They have 0. [/b]
Well, they had the LA Chargers in 1960 and then the LA Rams from 40-95. LA does need a football team though.
[i]Originally posted by SF4Nynah+Oct 24 2005, 07:08 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (SF4Nynah @ Oct 24 2005, 07:08 PM)
[i]Originally posted by austinniner[/i]@Oct 24 2005, 07:15 PM [b] You're not counting the LA Raiders [/b]
Oh yeah. It's been too long of a day.
[i]Originally posted by SF4Nynah+Oct 24 2005, 07:08 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (SF4Nynah @ Oct 24 2005, 07:08 PM)

I hear a lot of people comparing the whole Benson/Saints thing to the Shinn/Hornets thing we went through. It’s not the same thing at all.

Shinn was a dirtbag who just wanted what he wanted and their was going to be no two ways about it. Benson…even though the timing is difficult…is making a wise business choice. NO cannot affort to have 1 pro franchise…let alone 2.

I just love that Shinn is gonna take one in the hiney!!! Karma is a bitch!! <_<

I’m not sure how you can knock Benson for leaving New Orleans when people themselves may never return to the area, the arena is in terrible shape (and wasn’t good to begin with), and businesses may or may not come back. This is the worst disaster in history- things aren’t business as usual so this isn’t like Shinn at all.

New Orleans was already a small market, and it got even smaller.

I was counting current. LA currently has 0.

Shinn might follow Benson’s lead, & stay where he is now. They already call the team the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets. At least Benson doesn’t call his team the New Orleans/San Antonio/Baton Rouge Saints.

Well, “not so fast” says Mr. Tagliabue. It appears the NFL wants the Saints in New Orleans after all. Maybe this explains why Mr. Benson was so angry yesterday. He was probably thinking about how much money it’s going to cost him before the city returns to “normal”.

ESPN.com: Tagliabue, State Working to Keep Saints in Louisiana

This was the eye opener to me:

[b]The big question is how New Orleans could support the Saints.

New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin believes the city’s population, which was 460,000 before the hurricane, will quickly rise to 250,000 and be back above 450,000 in three years. But many returnees face major obstacles rebuilding homes and businesses.
[/b]

:o
Half the city is gone from an already under-supported franchise. Looks like another Expos situation to me.