Brooks Barden vs Matt Johnson

This will inevitably come up more in the summer/fall, but itā€™s been on my mind lately. Is there any information floating around that suggests how we plan to use these guys moving forward? Is Matt a 4 year starting QB, or is Brooks expected to come in take the job when we move to CUSA? Iā€™m suspecting that Barden will be RS this season, but after that Iā€™m not clear on what the plan is. I genuinely like and appreciate Matt Johnson for electing to come to Charlotte, and it wouldnā€™t bother me to see him play QB all 4 years, but part of me is inclined to believe an open competition will take place a year or so from now.

Thoughts?

Everything I read on Barden was that he was a steal with some BCS schools coming calling late in the recruiting game. Also, from what I have read is that Barden has a better arm and accuracy and is listed as a pocket passer type QB and does not have Johnsonā€™s mobility. Iā€™m guessing it will come down to a competition with a large part being the style Lambert wants to play.

clt says Barden will be our qb in 2015.

Barden will RS this year (likely), and then the following year youā€™d have a RS-Fr vs a RS-Jr for competition. Donā€™t know until we get to that if thereā€™s much to discuss.

Spring practice, I think, starts right after Spring Break. Until the QBs actually get on the field, I donā€™t see any logical way to tell.

With that said, I believe the goal/expectation is for Barden to redshirt this season.

Once practice startsā€¦if there is a huge difference between Barden and Johnson then ā€œYesā€, the dialogue could get interesting.

As far as my own opinion, Johnson is fine as a QB. He is not great, but he is not terrible. But I am very much looking forward to seeing what Barden brings to the field.

I think this early on the goal is to redshirt as many as we can. Lambert said it best mentioning ā€œputting distance between themā€.

Iā€™m really interested to see what Johnson does this season. I think he could wind up being the most improved player on the team next season.