Bruno out!!!

Effective on June 30, 2008.

Atlantic10.org: A-10 Commissioner Linda Bruno Announces Resignation

cool

Judy Rose for new A10 Commissioner

Doug Elgin, Commissioner

Doug Elgin enters his 20th year with the Missouri Valley Conference leading an experienced staff that has blazed a trail of excellence over the past two decades for the second-oldest conference in NCAA Division I athletics.

[B]Since being named the Valley’s ninth commissioner on May 17, 1988, Elgin has been a catalyst in helping the St. Louis-based conference regain a position of prominence in college athletics.

A solid work ethic and a bold, innovative approach to marketing and administering the Valley’s various sports programs and properties have been the keys to success for the league during his tenure as commissioner.[/B]

The MVC celebrated its Centennial year in 2006-07, and Elgin and his staff can reflect upon a remarkable list of accomplishments and contributions they have made over the past two decades that have added to the long, rich athletic tradition of the conference.

Elgin oversaw the realignment and the stabilization of the Missouri Valley membership during the decade of the ‘90s as the league expanded to admit Missouri State, Northern Iowa and Evansville as new members, and also brought women’s sports programs under the conference’s administrative umbrella in July of 1992.

The league staff also paved the way to establish St. Louis as a long-term neutral site for the men’s basketball tournament beginning in 1991, one of the most significant developments in the modern era of the Valley. In 2008, the State Farm MVC Tournament will celebrate its 18th year in St. Louis, the second-longest continuous run at a neutral site for any NCAA Division I men’s conference basketball championship.

The tremendous success in creating a showcase for the men’s basketball tournament has led to other successful endeavors for the MVC and the City of St. Louis. In 1993, the Valley hosted its first NCAA Tournament – a men’s regional – at venerable St. Louis Arena. During the period from 1998 through 2007, the MVC and its local partners hosted a remarkable seven more NCAA events, including four men’s regionals, the 2001 Women’s Final Four and the 2005 Men’s Final Four. The Valley will also serve as host for the 2009 Women’s Final Four and the 2010 Men’s Midwest Regional, helping to make St. Louis one of the most frequent stops in the nation for NCAA basketball tournament events.

Under Elgin’s direction, the Valley has emerged as a national leader in the marketing and promotion of its programs, with an in-house conference television operation that serves as the centerpiece of the league’s efforts. In 2007-08, the MVC Television Network will feature a package that will include at least 34 Valley events on Fox Sports Networks in six championship sports, a minimum of 28 national appearances on ESPN’s family of networks, and the men’s basketball championship on CBS.

In the past two seasons, the Missouri Valley has enjoyed stunning success in men’s basketball, with six teams in the NCAA Tournament and four more in the NIT. A record four Valley teams advanced to the NCAA Tournament in 2006, and three league teams have played in the NCAA Sweet 16 during the past two seasons to underscore the rise of the conference.

Elgin completed a four-year term on the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Committee in 2002 and was the first Valley representative ever to serve as a member of that prestigious group.

In his career spanning more than 30 years in intercollegiate athletic administration, Elgin has served in a variety of capacities at four schools and in two conference offices. His career path included stints as sports information director at Frostburg State University (1975-76), Miami-Dade Community College South (1976-77), Lafayette College (1977-80) and the University of Virginia (1980-83). In 1983, he left Virginia to begin a long stint in conference work, moving to Tampa to serve under Vic Bubas on the Sun Belt Conference staff.

The 56-year-old native of Hagerstown, Md., is a 1973 graduate of Lafayette College. He earned a master’s degree in sports administration from Ohio University in 1975. Doug and his wife Melaine have six daughters: Lisa, Jessica, Julie, Anna, Emma and Mary.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Message to Phil Dubois and your 13 fellow presidents/chancellors of the A-10 – call Doug Elgin now at this number in St. Louis: 314-421-0339!!!

I almost want to call…

The short list should include Elgin and Thomas Yeager of the Colonial if the A-10 CEOs are serious about the conference’s future.

Why would he leave the MVC to come to the A-10? The MVC is a superior conference AT THIS time, not to say that won’t change, but right now the MVC has the A-10 by the you know whats. SIU makes it to the S16 and takes KU to the brink last year. When was the last time an A-10 ten made it to a S16? 2003 both St. Joe’s and XU made it to the E8, since then no team has made it out of the first weekend.

I would say that the move from MVC to A-10 would be a downgrade or a lateral at best.

Ironically, the newly named Prez and GM of the Philadelphia 76ers – Ed Stefanski – was an Atlantic 10 color analyst for ESPN for 11 seasons prior to joining the NJ Nets organization in the 1990s.

NBA.com: Ed Stefanski Bio

It’s long overdue. Many A10 “CEOs” sadly seem disinterested in proactively improving athletics. Otherwise, Bruno would have been fired long ago.

Judy Rose for new A10 Commissioner

Why not? It’s not an unwise move. I’m willing to bet that if someone threw her name in the ring, it would be widely endorsed by the Xaviers and the Daytons and all the schools that appreciated Judy’s heading the committee on raising the standards of the A10.

The short list should include Elgin and Thomas Yeager of the Colonial if the A-10 CEOs are serious about the conference's future.

Elgin is the best choice for the conference - but would the MVC let it happen without a fight to keep him? MVC leadership >>>>>>>> Atlantic 10 leadership and I think they know it. If the MVC loses its strong sense of direction, it goes back to being a run-of-the-mill mid-major conference.

It could also mean losing Saint Louis. Someone who spends 13 years as a ‘homer’ for the Missouri Valley may not discourage a move by Saint Louis to their former employer.

I don’t want someone that echos Bruno’s minor-league-conference way of thinking - so no lazy mid-major applicants or snobblish, uppity BCS applicants. I’d want someone that has high-reaching goals and believes in improving the conference.

From the Fordham board…

Dear A-10 Fans,

Merry Christmas to all!

Sincerely,

God

:tongue:

Why would he leave the MVC to come to the A-10? The MVC is a superior conference AT THIS time, not to say that won't change, but right now the MVC has the A-10 by the you know whats. SIU makes it to the S16 and takes KU to the brink last year. When was the last time an A-10 ten made it to a S16? 2003 both St. Joe's and XU made it to the E8, since then no team has made it out of the first weekend.

Your stellar analysis is based on SIU going to a sweet 16 and taking KU to the brink. Brilliant. Cause as well all know the world revolves around the Gayhawks.

I would say that the move from MVC to A-10 would be a downgrade or a lateral at best.

You’d be wrong. The A-10 has 50 times the tradition that the MVC does. It’s hit a rough patch over the past few years and the MVC has been flavor of the month for a few years, but that doesn’t make them a better conference. And one or two teams doing well in the tourney doesn’t change that. Creighton and SIU have carried that conference since 2000.

The A-10 has negotiated deals with CSTV and ESPN. They have more noteriety of schools and better all around programs. There’s more to conferences than just basketball but if you think the likes of SIU, Creighton, Wichita State, Bradley and Evansville get you more than names like Temple, Xavier, GW, St. Joes, Dayton and UMASS you’re drunk.

If you look at the all around the A-10 is much better than the MVC. I don’t expect you to understand that.

Here’s how its going down. Judy Rose takes Bruno’s spot… Then we hire a football AD at Charlotte, who then moves us out of the A10! SUCCESS!

It really doesnt matter which direction the step is (though its not a step down), it’s gonna come down to $$$ if we want someone like that.

MK, with all due respect, the Valley has surpassed the A-10. That doesn’t mean the A-10 can’t recapture some of its lost glory, though. Also doesn’t prevent some schools from possibly looking at creating something totally new as well, as far as I’m concerned.

Also have to agree with NA – the A-10 will need to pull out the ol’ wallet and show the Benjamins! :tongue:

MK, with all due respect, the Valley has surpassed the A-10. That doesn't mean the A-10 can't recapture some of its lost glory, though. Also doesn't prevent some schools from possibly looking at creating something totally new as well, as far as I'm concerned.

Also have to agree with NA – the A-10 will need to pull out the ol’ wallet and show the Benjamins! :tongue:

Depends on your standard run. If your standard is strictly mens basketball then yes, they have. If all you care about is basketball then maybe. It could easily be argued that the A-10 has better long term potential than the MVC. It has more tradition, more recognized names, better markets. As Hubbie would say, it has tremendous upside.

But a league commissioner has more on their plate than just basketball. The A-10 is rich in tradition, and the MVC has yet to touch that.

They’re a better mens basketball conference. That doesn’t make them a better conference on the whole.

Why would he leave the MVC to come to the A-10? The MVC is a superior conference AT THIS time, not to say that won't change, but right now the MVC has the A-10 by the you know whats. SIU makes it to the S16 and takes KU to the brink last year. When was the last time an A-10 ten made it to a S16?

wrong and wrong. MK already torched you though so I will leave it alone

since then no team has made it out of the first weekend.

Wrong again. Why do you post here again?

In all seriousness, what other sports in the A-10 are good?

I’m with MK, definitely. A recent post on the A10 messageboards said,

Musketeer Madness posted the bracket for the 1998 NCAA Tournament…I noticed something that I thought was very interesting: 8 of the 14 teams currently comprising the A-10 were in the field: Xavier, GW, URI (Elite 8), UMass and Temple were joined by Charlotte and SLU from C-USA and Richmond from the CAA.

Hard to believe that ten years later we would basically be pumped to get a total of 3 bids.

Fans of, say, Temple who have seen five Elite Eights under Chaney can’t be satisfied with the current state. Like MK keeps saying - there’s a lot of tradition and a desire to return to the success that was once tasted among alum.

The MVC has been phenomenal - the heights they have taken their conference composed of schools from the states of Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana (competing against schools … well, like Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana) is almost unreal. While the MVC has indeed surpassed the larger-market A10…is it sustainable?

a league commissioner has more on their plate than just basketball.

This is another point worth mentioning. The current state of affairs for sports like baseball is awful in the Atlantic 10. Could a strong-armed commish make any headway? Could new blood bring back A10 football?