Butch Davis gets a raise

Since this has NOTHING to do with Niner Athletics…

You can put me in the category of not giving a rat’s ass what he is making, as long as my taxes do not somehow wind up paying for him.

If my tax money (and yours) somehow finds its way to the tarhole payroll like they did the Dean Dome Maintenance, then it’s a different story.

Here’s another factor, one that’s talked about on here RE: Lutz: Butts in the seats.

North Carolina football attendance this year and in the past, from the NCAA website:

2007: 6 games; 344,500 total attendance; 95.69% avg capacity; 57,417 avg
2006: 7 games; 342,000 total attendance; 81.43% avg capacity; 48,857 avg
2005: 6 games; 310,000 total attendance; 86.11% avg capacity; 51,667 avg
2004: 6 games; 314,750 total attendance; 87.43% avg capacity; 52,458 avg
2003: 6 games; 282,800 total attendance; 78.56% avg capacity; 47,133 avg
2002: 6 games; 301,750 total attendance; 83.82% avg capacity; 50,292 avg
2001: 6 games; 315,500 total attendance; 87.64% avg capacity; 52,583 avg
2000: 6 games; 303,000 total attendance; 84.17% avg capacity; 50,500 avg

For those not good at math, that’s an increase of 8560 butts per game, times six games, times $40 per ticket, or $2,054,000 in ticket revenue based on excitment created by Butch Davis. I’d say a tenth of that isn’t an unfair investment to keep him around.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I’m really surprised that hasn’t been worth 4 or 5 front page stories.

Doesn’t State average more fans at home games than chapel hill in football?

Larger percentage of capacity, smaller raw number. Here’s the link to 2007 numbers, dated today:

[media]http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/Internet/attendance/IA_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf[/media]

North Carolina 2007: 57,417

N.C. State 2007: 56,356

They rank 35th and 36th nationally.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;271161]They rank 35th and 36th nationally.[/QUOTE]
Of course, 35th and 36th is really nothing to brag about when you consider we’re about the 10th most populous state.

Except both were over 96 percent of stadium capacity.

Hard to match the Michigans and Tennessee’s of the world with smaller stadiums.

Chapel Hill about to expand to 70,000, closing in the East end zone. With private funds.

Here's another factor, one that's talked about on here RE: Lutz: Butts in the seats.

North Carolina football attendance this year and in the past, from the NCAA website:

2007: 6 games; 344,500 total attendance; 95.69% avg capacity; 57,417 avg
2006: 7 games; 342,000 total attendance; 81.43% avg capacity; 48,857 avg
2005: 6 games; 310,000 total attendance; 86.11% avg capacity; 51,667 avg
2004: 6 games; 314,750 total attendance; 87.43% avg capacity; 52,458 avg
2003: 6 games; 282,800 total attendance; 78.56% avg capacity; 47,133 avg
2002: 6 games; 301,750 total attendance; 83.82% avg capacity; 50,292 avg
2001: 6 games; 315,500 total attendance; 87.64% avg capacity; 52,583 avg
2000: 6 games; 303,000 total attendance; 84.17% avg capacity; 50,500 avg

For those not good at math, that’s an increase of 8560 butts per game, times six games, times $40 per ticket, or $2,054,000 in ticket revenue based on excitment created by Butch Davis. I’d say a tenth of that isn’t an unfair investment to keep him around.

I can’t wait to read what your brother Ed Williams has to say about this. :biggrin:

[QUOTE=metro;271192]I can’t wait to read what your brother Ed Williams has to say about this. :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

Nah, it’ll be Mary Schulken. And she’ll hate it.

Nah, it'll be Mary Schulken. And she'll hate it.

well then I am 110% behind Butch Davis. Mary Schulken is the anti Christ in my book.

[QUOTE=ninerID;271147]I’m not saying he can’t get talent to come in, I just think it is a little dumb to reward the season he had. Like HP said, it will effect coaching contracts on a lot of levels.[/QUOTE]

See below. Should they wait until he does have the great season when all of the big cheese programs and the NFL come calling again with their pocket books open?

[QUOTE=Jimmyhat49er;271148]I think you are looking at this all wrong by looking at his record. This raise is totally based on what Butch’s value is out on the open market. Carolina finally has a big time coach who can turn them into a bigtime football program, why let that get away?? They learned from letting Mac go, what happens when you don’t have a big time coach to lead your program and like them or not UNC is a top 10 school athletically and there is no reason they can’t be great in football if they put the resources behind it. They are alot of bigtime jobs that are open and that will be open and Butch would have been very high on a lot of AD’s wish lists.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. The extension will be cheaper now than it will be after the next two seasons.

See below. Should they wait until he does have the great season when all of the big cheese programs and the NFL come calling again with their pocket books open?

Bingo. The extension will be cheaper now than it will be after the next two seasons.

so if he goes 2-10, with a loss to Maryland and Duke, is he worth an extension because he is Butch Davis? 1-11, say he loses to Miami as well and only beats James Madison, he’s worth a raise and an extension?

he’s now the 9th highest paid coach in the nation, i don’t know how the word “cheap” can come up when Rich Rodrigez (sp) makes about $750,000 less than him a year, and he is about to play in a national championship.

Are those attendance figures ACTUAL butts in the seats or tickets sold – a la NBA? Just curious…

I think all they’re required to report is tickets sold, but since the season was sold out and that number is less than the stadium’s capacity in Chapel Hill, I assume it’s an attempt at butts in the seats. This was also the first season of electronic ticket scanning in Chapel Hill, so I would assume they could get a better number this year than in the past.

[QUOTE=ninerID;271219]so if he goes 2-10, with a loss to Maryland and Duke, is he worth an extension because he is Butch Davis? 1-11, say he loses to Miami as well and only beats James Madison, he’s worth a raise and an extension?
[/QUOTE]

He probably wouldn’t have gotten the extension with those results. The FACT is though that he beat those teams and all but two of the losses were close games. This with only 5 seniors (i.e. the rest of the team will be back). He has almost all underclassmen that will return next year. Davis had the #17 recruiting class last year, and that was with less than half a year to put it together. He got two late hour coups in Little and Austin. As said in my previous post, his class this year probably won’t be rated that high because he only has 5 senior starters to replace and only 8 total on their entire depth chart.

[QUOTE]he’s now the 9th highest paid coach in the nation, i don’t know how the word “cheap” can come up when Rich Rodrigez (sp) makes about $750,000 less than him a year, and he is about to play in a national championship.[/QUOTE]

West Virginia supporters better be prepared to open up their pocket books, again. Rodriguez’s contract was extended to 2013 before this season, and the buyout is currently $4,000,000. You think Michigan or LSU won’t pay that to get him? The only way to change the buyout amount in a coach’s contract is to extend it. That’s what UNC-CH just did, and what WVU better be prepared to do. Lucky for WVU that Rodriguez is an alum. He’ll be more enticed to stay for that reason and may not shake all of the money out of the booster’s pockets. FYI, Davis’ buyout is currently at a $2,000,000 max. If he has an 8-10 win season next year he will be getting suitors from other programs for sure.

clt could care less about unc ch. this thread should be deleted.

Looks like Houston Nutt will be fired from Arkansas.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3128404

Damn, they must want Butchie badddddd to fire Nutt after he beats LSU. Butch won’t be at Chapel Hill next season mark that down. Either Nebraska or Arkansas will have him on the sidelines.

My bet is that Arkansas will be the one since he is a former Razorback player. They already have a $3.5 million buyout on Nutt’s contract, but Arkansas doesn’t have money problems. They can easily pay him more than what UNC-CH could offer.

Looks like Houston Nutt will be fired from Arkansas.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3128404

Damn, they must want Butchie badddddd to fire Nutt after he beats LSU. Butch won’t be at Chapel Hill next season mark that down. Either Nebraska or Arkansas will have him on the sidelines.

My bet is that Arkansas will be the one since he is a former Razorback player. They already have a $3.5 million buyout on Nutt’s contract, but Arkansas doesn’t have money problems. They can easily pay him more than what UNC-CH could offer.

My project manager is a HUGE arkansas fan/alumni. Houston Nutt was done well before the LSU win, heck he’s been cooking for the last 3 years it seems. He could wind up at Ole Miss.

He doesn’t think they go after butch, especially since the latest contract, his opinion “He’s got the greatest job in the world. Make 2 million, if you go 8-4, youre a hero.”

He could wind up at Ole Miss.

Nutt to Ole Miss:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3129559&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Bye bye, Butch Davis. Unless you don’t really think Huggins is really going to leave KSU for West Virginia.

Overall this makes sense if you’re a UNC fan. There’s been a lot of talk of him going to Arkansas.