C-USA 2014-15 Men's Basketball Preseason Picks

[quote=“Niner National, post:20, topic:29061”][quote=“9erken, post:19, topic:29061”][quote=“Niner National, post:7, topic:29061”]He’s right, but he’s wrong. I don’t think Major is on the hot seat at all.[/quote]Silliness about video presentations aside, you really don’t think he’s on the hot seat at all? I could see saying he’s not necessarily NCAA or bust (though that’s the way it should be by now), but I think a repeat of last year or worse he is extremely likely to be let go. A slightly better season may not be enough. And any issues with further transfers of contributors might also be enough, unless it’s coupled with a high level of success. I think Major probably lost a little leeway with the collapse last season.

I hope the team makes this moot with an NCAA run. I’m ready for a surprisingly good season, as opposed to the surprisingly bad season that’s become really common.[/quote]With fans? Absolutely.

With Judy? No, I really don’t think he is unless he has a losing record this year. If we have a losing record due to injuries, I think excuses will be made and his seat will be as comfortable as a heated car seat on a cold winter morning.[/quote]

I have a feeling that if left up to Judy he is very safe and has a few more years. The important thing is though that ultimately it’s not up to Judy. Phil will make the final call and my gut says he is ready to put up or shut up. I would imagine most of her staff is too.

^^^^^My gut feeling is that Phil likes an ass kisser, too, and is way less concerned with winning than she is.

I think he is less worried about winning but more worried about $$$

I think he is less worried about winning but more worried about $$$[/quote] That would make sense.

I think he is less worried about winning but more worried about $$$[/quote] That would make sense.[/quote]

The only reason I say this is it was Phil not Judy who at the cusa announcement stated how important the ncaas were to make the budget work. He looked right at Major and said getting back to the ncaas was necessary to keep the budget in good order.

Unlike Judy I think Phil is very aware of the AD funding model and is sensitive to student costs.

fixed

The Niners are predicted to finish this season as the 161st best team and 6th best team in C-USA according to SI’s statistical projections.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:27, topic:29061”]The Niners are predicted to finish this season as the 161st best team and 6th best team in C-USA according to SI’s statistical projections.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/10/30/college-basketball-preview-teams-ranked[/quote] Obviously, this had better be way wrong ( and I don’t mean we better we way worse than that)

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:27, topic:29061”]The Niners are predicted to finish this season as the 161st best team and 6th best team in C-USA according to SI’s statistical projections.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/10/30/college-basketball-preview-teams-ranked[/quote]

If we’re that bad, fire everybody.

Anyone want to place a bet on whether or not SJ uses that stat in one of his diatribes on csnbbs?

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:29, topic:29061”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:27, topic:29061”]The Niners are predicted to finish this season as the 161st best team and 6th best team in C-USA according to SI’s statistical projections.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/10/30/college-basketball-preview-teams-ranked[/quote]

If we’re that bad, fire everybody.[/quote]Yep.

I agree. No excuse for that.

[quote=“Niner National, post:31, topic:29061”][quote=“CharSFNiners, post:29, topic:29061”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:27, topic:29061”]The Niners are predicted to finish this season as the 161st best team and 6th best team in C-USA according to SI’s statistical projections.

If we’re that bad, fire everybody.[/quote]Yep.[/quote]

Yep.

[quote=“NewNiner, post:33, topic:29061”][quote=“Niner National, post:31, topic:29061”][quote=“CharSFNiners, post:29, topic:29061”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:27, topic:29061”]The Niners are predicted to finish this season as the 161st best team and 6th best team in C-USA according to SI’s statistical projections.

Yep.[/quote]

[quote=“NewNiner, post:33, topic:29061”][quote=“Niner National, post:31, topic:29061”][quote=“CharSFNiners, post:29, topic:29061”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:27, topic:29061”]The Niners are predicted to finish this season as the 161st best team and 6th best team in C-USA according to SI’s statistical projections.

Yep.[/quote]

Yep.

First AP poll is out and among the ORV category are LA Tech and UTEP. (FWIW, same two in same category in Coaches Poll as well.)

CBSSports.com: AP Top 25 - 10/31/2014

[quote=“Run49er, post:36, topic:29061”]First AP poll is out and among the ORV category are LA Tech and UTEP. (FWIW, same two in same category in Coaches Poll as well.)

CBSSports.com: AP Top 25 - 10/31/2014[/quote]

Remember the good ole days when we often anxiously awaited these pre-season polls to see if we at least received votes?

Athlon’s C-USA preview. Obviously before Lester left the team.

http://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/college-basketball-preview-conference-usa-0#.VFoQsoWe0Fs.twitter

PREDICTED ORDER OF FINISH:

1. Louisiana Tech,
  2. UTEP,
    3. CHARLOTTE
  3. Western Kentucky,
  4. Old Dominion,
  5. Middle Tennessee,
  6. UAB.
  7. FAU,
  8. Southern Miss,
  9. FIU,
  10. North Texas,
  11. UTSA,
  12. Marshall,
  13. Rice

CHARLOTTE: Last season’s 17-14 overall campaign and 7-9 mark in Conference USA play was a strong start for the 49ers, who returned to the conference after spending the previous years as a member of the Atlantic 10. Coach Alan Major should be excited about the upcoming season, since he has his four top scorers back in a well-rounded lineup that is led by senior guard Pierria Henry. Henry led the team last season with a 12.3 ppg average and 5.8 apg, also adding in a 5.2 rpg mark. Guard Shawn Lester and forward Willie Clayton (both juniors) were ranked numbers two and three in scoring on the 49ers roster last season, with Lester netting 11.9 ppg and Clayton checking in at 10.8 ppg (also bringing down a team-best 8.9 rpg). Guard Terrence Williams (10.5 ppg, 4.9 rpg) and center Mike Thorne Jr. (9.1 ppg, 6.7 rpg) are both back as well, giving Major a very experienced roster, with plenty of depth on the bench. The top end of Conference USA will be highly contentious, but Charlotte figures into the top tier of programs that should have a fighting chance for the league’s title, considering how well the team performed in its first year back.

That’s an interesting comment on our first season back into CUSA.

The comment seemed to insinuate we moved up instead of down when we moved back to CUSA.