C-USA players - some coming, some going

Some interesting stuff around C-USA on players who are transferring out and those coming in.

While Rick Pitino picked up a gem in Dave Padgett, he also lost G Nate Daniels, who transferred to NAIA power Mountain State (W.Va.) for his senior season. The Louisville Courier-Journal had this to say:

[b]Daniels’ departure likely brings an end to the junior-college experiment for Pitino, who yesterday told The Courier-Journal that he no longer would recruit junior-college players.

Daniels was the fourth junior-college player to play for Pitino at U of L. Two others, Prileu Davis and Nouha Diakite, quit the team before exhausting their eligibility. Another, Kendall Dartez, played two seasons, and Donta Smith, who signed last spring, unexpectedly declared himself eligible for the National Basketball Association draft before coming to campus.[/b]

Link: Sharpshooting Daniels to leave U of L

Also a good piece about Cardinals assistant Reggie Theus: Theus stars in recruiting role

Marquette has lost another player - F Carlton Christian. Doesn’t seem like Tom Crean is too sad to see him go.

[b]“My greatest disappointment is that Carlton never officially informed us of his intentions,” Crean said. "His recent comments are indicative of what Carlton struggled with the entire season. He never bought into the concepts of dedication, hard work and family all the way across the board with his teammates and his coaches. Those have been and always will be the foundation of this program.

“Frankly, I wish things could have been different for Carlton, but he had trouble grasping that you earn minutes through consistency and work ethic, that you have to interact with your teammates and basically understand the concept of team.”[/b]

Link: Christian through with MU

On the postive side, Crean did pick up a transfer from Tulane: MU adds 6-9 forward

Also looks like Dave Leitao is working on damage control at DePaul if he does lose prize recruit Dorrell Wright to the NBA.

Link: DePaul signs 6-8 forward Nichols

Anyway, looks like we are in “good company” in C-USA. I like our chances in 2004-05 - Iti or not!

GO NINERS!

Here’s a look at where some players have transferred to since the end of the 2003-04 college basketball season:

David Padgett, had a solid freshman campaign at Kansas, has left Lawrence and is headed to Rick Pitino and the Louisville Cardinals.

Former Illinois State power forward Marcus Arnold head east on Interstate 74 and will now be suiting up for the Fightin’ Illini of Illinois.

6-8 power forward Angelo Smith has left Xavier and is headed back to his hometown of Indianapolis, IN to play for IUPUI.

De’Angelo Alexander was a big time contributor for Kelvin Sampson’s offense at Oklahoma the past two seasons, but that has all changed as he will now be suiting up for the Charlotte 49ers.

Ryan Appleby played in 23 games as a freshmen last season with the Florida Gators, now he’s headed back to his home state to play for Lorenzo Romar and the Washington Huskies.

Dan Fitzgerald is headed back to the midwest after spending a year at Tulane. The 6-9 power forward will be attending Marquette next season.

Nate Daniels has transfered from Louisville to last year’s NAIA National Champion Mountain State.

Lenny Miles played basketball last season at New Mexico, however the 6-2 Miles is headed back to his home state of Colorado to play football for the Buffalos.

Corey Herring, a 6-4 swingman from Buffalo, N.Y., informed Baylor head coach Scott Drew last month that he has decided to transfer to a school closer to his home.

Former Western Kentucky power forward Ryan Lambert has found a new home in the Atlantic 10 with Duquesne.

Todd Hendley played in 16 games for Wake Forest a freshman, next season the 6-9 center will be suiting up for UNC-Wilmington.

After spending his freshman season at Iowa, 6-7 wing forward Ben Rand is heading back to his home state of Illinois to play at Northern Illinois.

Marco Killingsworth has withdrawn his name from the 2004 NBA Draft, and the rising senior has requested and received his release from Auburn University.

Tyler Relph has transferred to St. Bonaventure from West Virginia.

T. J. Waldon has left Old Dominion and is headed to Division II Clayton State in Morrow, GA.

Trent Wurtz, a 6-8 power forward, has elected to transfer from George Mason to Indiana State.

Kevin Field, a transfer from Oregon State, has accepted a scholarship offer and will join the University of Portland men’s basketball program.

Melvin Buckley, a 6-7 wing forward, has transferred from the Big Ten and Purdue down south to South Florida.

6-5 wing guard Tim Henry has transferred to Idaho State from Wyoming. Henry’s older brother Scott, who was a two-time MVP for the Bengals, graduated last season.

6-9 freshman center Dwayne Curtis, transferred from Auburn to Mississippi.

A.J. Jackson, a 6-6 230-pound power forward, has transferred from East Tennessee State to Robert Morris.

6-4 wing guard Kendrick Davis played his first two seasons with the Arkansas Razorbacks, however he will now finish up his career at North Texas with the Mean Green.

Players Still Looking for a New Home:
(Note: some of these players may have already signed with a new school)

Wing forward Derrick Byars, transfer from Virginia.
Freshman wing guard Omar Wilkes, transfer from Kansas.
Sophomore power forward Bernard Cote, transfer from Kentucky.
Sophomore guard Armondo Surratt, transfer from Miami (FL).
Guard Elijah Ingram, transfer from St. John’s.
Center Aaron Spears, transfer from Illinois.
6-9 sophomore point guard Jonathan Burnett, transfer from Lamar
Junior point guard Gil Goodrich, transfer from Lamar.
6-1 wing guard Hayes Grooms, transfer from Lamar.
6-7 sophomore power forward Ola Matti, transfer from Lamar.
Point guard Calvin Wooten, transfer from Rutgers.
Freshman wing forward Karron Clarke, transfer from Miami (FL).
Sophomore wing forward Johnnie Jackson, transfer from Boston College.
Freshman wing forward Devon Evertsen, transfer from Boston College.
Sophomore wing forward Justin Holt, transfer from Virginia Tech.
7-0 redshirt sophomore center Alex Graham, transfer from Long Beach State.
Center Deonte Smith, transfer from VCU.
6-4 sophomore guard Trevor Meier, transfer from Tulsa.
Forward Jermaine Miller, tranfer from Drexel.
6-1 sophomore point guard Belton Rivers, transfer from East Carolina.
Sophomore guard Terrance Whiters, transfer from Loyola-Illinois.
6-6 wing forward Oumar Sylla, transfer from Valparaiso.

Having posted that, I will now say that I wonder if we’ll get involved late with any of those guys. Benard Cote (Kentucky) was a pretty big name coming out of HS.

Seems like I’ve heard of Aaron Spears (Illinois) too.

Run, as another new niner board is starting from sctatch, I extend you my sincerest thanks for all the effort you put into digging up these gems that I would otherwise never know about.

But what does Crean REALLY think about Carlton Christian?

GO NINERS!!!