C-USA preseason hoops prospecti

Several of our C-USA mates have already published a prospectus for 2004-05.

Conference USA

Cincinnati

Houston

Marquette

Memphis

Saint Louis

From the C-USA Prospectus

[b]The last time the 49ers returned a first-team All-C-USA player, he went on to become the league's Player of the Year (DeMarco Johnson, [b]1988[/b]).[/b]

Nice job editing staff. :rolleyes:

The editing issue aside, I like Withers’s chances for C-USA POY. He’ll have some competition, that’s for sure.

Run’s 2004-05 C-USA Men’s Hoops Player of the Year Candidates

Curtis Withers, Charlotte
Jason Maxiell, Cincinnati
Andre Owens, Houston
Francisco Garcia, Louisville
Ellis Myles, Louisville
Travis Diener, Marquette
Sean Banks, Memphis
Reggie Bryant, Saint Louis
Corey Santee, TCU
Terrence Leather, USF

I think it comes down to Withers, Maxiell and Banks. Maxiell I think starts with the edge because he’s better known.

Would love for Curt to get POY.

Add Rod Carney from Memphis, and possibly Darius Washington, due more to hype than ability.

That said, IMO it’ll come down to Garcia, Myles, Withers or Banks, with Max a distant 5th.

NA, I thought of Carney, as well as Rashaad Carruth of Southern Miss. Darius Washington is probably the favorite for Freshman of the Year, especially with the loss of Sebastian Telfair and Dorrell Wright to the NBA.

I do like your top 5 for POY. I’d love nothing else than for Charlotte to exit C-USA with the POY, COY, regular season title, and tourney championship. Oh yeah!!! :smiley:

GO NINERS!!!

Gregg Doyel puts in his 2 cents on Marquette…

Sportsline.com: Marquette oozes confidence with mystery recruits, seasoned vets

GD says Diener has added 15 pounds since last season, while Novak is up 30 pounds from his freshman year. Both played this summer on an NIT All-Star squad that toured China, with the former averaging 14.5 ppg and the latter about 10 ppg.

Andy Katz tosses his pennies Memphis way…

[b]Calipari excited about C-USA schedule in 2005-06

Monday, Aug. 23: Memphis coach John Calipari was thrilled with last week’s Conference USA decision to play 14 conference games in the 2005-06 season when the league is re-formed. The reason? That’s at least 14 non-conference games to schedule into the NCAA Tournament. Calipari sees Memphis turning into the UMass program he had in the early '90s. The Tigers should dominate, perhaps with UAB, in Conference USA once Cincinnati, Louisville, DePaul, Marquette, South Florida, Charlotte, Saint Louis and TCU depart and are replaced by SMU, Tulsa, Rice, UTEP, Marshall and Central Florida. If the 12-team league had decided to schedule 16- or 18-league games, then the RPI would likely have fallen. If teams schedule correctly, then they can offset any poor conference RPI with a stellar non-conference schedule. Memphis decided to play in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic this November. But the consequence is that if the 2-in-4 exempt rule remains, then Calipari said he’ll count the three games in the 2006 Maui Invitational against his maximum 28 regular-season games. The Tigers play in the Preseason NIT in 2005, meaning they would have used their two exemptions in '04 and '05.[/b]

ESPN.com: Daily Word with Andy Katz

[b]But the consequence is that if the 2-in-4 exempt rule remains, then Calipari said he'll count the three games in the 2006 Maui Invitational against his maximum 28 regular-season games. [/b]

With our scheduling woes as we shift conferences, you begin to wonder why we aren’t doing this instead of playing in something like the cable car classic?

We could use the exposure early in the season.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Aug 24 2004, 01:13 PM [b] With our scheduling woes as we shift conferences, you begin to wonder why we aren't doing this instead of playing in something like the cable car classic? [/b]
Exactly.

This is a really sore subject with me. I have yet to find anyone that can tell me why we aren’t in Coaches vs Cancer, Maui etc. instead of this garbage tourney. :cuss: :cuss: