Calvin Brock ...

… fights tonight. Sorensen wrote about it this week, but it caused nary a ripple on the board.

http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/341862.html

Brock’s gonna knock you out…

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;265737]… but it caused nary a ripple on the board.[/QUOTE]
It’s now basketball season, we’re interested now in collegiate sports.

[QUOTE=HP49er;265744]It’s now basketball season, we’re interested now in collegiate sports.[/QUOTE]

Excuses, excuses.

In all fairness Mike, he is an alumnus of UNC Charlotte, wasn’t on an athletic team. That in itself is a factor for us here. We could say, why not do more stories on CEOs that are graduates? Why not do a story on Scott Padgett, who will be the fall guy should Bruton Smith move?

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;265753]Excuses, excuses.[/QUOTE]
I’m sure a new excuse book from Ophrah’s best seller list is waiting to be used in the sports department.

Excuses, excuses.
Here's a good one: I didn't read it because I don't subscribe to the Observer, partly because of snarky threads like this one. Businesses instigating their customers usually deters my patronage. As for missing it online, if it wasn't in the collegiate sports section, I ain't gonna see it. I don't care about the Panthers, I don't care about the Bobcats, and I don't care about Nascar.

Just thought people would be interested, given the load of grief I was given about him last time. So we did a story, and I"m not sure anyone read it, or cared, on the same board that crucified me for not taking care of your guy.

Mike, the answer is simple. If it involves the hometown, ie: [B]The [SIZE=3]CHARLOTTE[/SIZE] Observer[/B], it should be covered.

[QUOTE=NLP;265757]Here’s a good one: I didn’t read it because I don’t subscribe to the Observer, partly because of snarky threads like this one. Businesses instigating their customers usually deters my patronage. [/QUOTE]

Couldnt have said it better.

Excuses, excuses.
Please, please fry away. Please?

Brock loses split decision.

http://www.charlotte.com/other_sports/story/347382.html

Speaking of 49er boxers, anyone heard how Kelvin Price is doing??

is Brock now out of shape, or did he put on 17 pounds of muscle?

Unfortunately, this loss pretty much takes away what little credibility Brock had. He’ll be lucky to ever put himself back in position to get a title fight. And if he does, he’ll be too far past his prime to win. I hope he rebounds from this but personally, I just never thought he was a legit contender. He beat up on a bunch of no-names and then lost his only two legitimate bouts. He needs to either take some time off or call it quits. Then again, the heavyweight division has become such a joke over the years, he could still possibly contend but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

I read both stories. It’s obvious he’s not a legit threat to be HW champ so it’s lost the buzz. Still should be covered by hometown paper when his fights are meaningful.

Cal needs to pack it in while he still has an intact brain stem. I’m DEADLY serious. It’s over, young man. Get back to work at BofA (unless you were among the 5000 who got pink slips last week.)

but back to the subject-----
the Big O Coverage…

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;265737]… fights tonight. Sorensen wrote about it this week, but it caused nary a ripple on the board.

http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/341862.html[/QUOTE]
Mike, many of us are being serious when we say we no longer read your paper (and yes, you are to blame). We may check to see if there is a Niner article before or after our games, but other than that, I personally see no reason to read about your idol Roy Williams every day.

I even had a free subscription offered to me 2 weeks ago but turned it down because I didn’t want it littering my driveway when I’m not home. And yes, the reason I gave was your department’s attitude toward the Niners.

What 49er1 said. Boxing is about trying to concuss your opponent, and in the process your opponent tryies to do the same thing to you. Unless you’re at the absolute top, or in a position to imminently be so, get out.

I’m proud of what Brock has done, he’s gotten some good pub and some good cash for it. But put that wonderful UNC Charlotte degree back to work. :slight_smile: