Campus Construction Update

Anybody been by to see the finished product? Take some pics?

Not even close to being finished, gonna be at least 2 months

List of long term capital projects https://ninertimes.com/2019/01/unc-charlottes-list-of-potential-capital-projects/

Computing and Informatics Building

This new building will cost an estimated $48.5 million. It was designed because “a preliminary study has shown that the college will need 120,000 square feet of space for offices, teaching, research, student advising and engagement and other essential functions.”

Engineering Innovation Hall

This new building will cost an estimated $46.8 million.

Looks like two, maybe three (depending if they move the early college away from CRI) new buildings at CRI in addition to the hotel, plus a north entrance.

1 Like

Early college is supposed to be moved between EPIC and Grigg.

About time they schedule renovations for the business school. Our b school is about the same size as catawba college b school. And to mention its old as dirt when comparing to any other reasonable university.

The word “pedestrian” doesn’t appear anywhere in that project summary.

3 Likes

Closing the Back Creek Church Road rail crossing should have already happened but better late than never. Will definitely help auto traffic flow that gets ridiculous at rush hour with the nearby NC 49 / I-485 interchange.

And emf is right to ask that question. I can remember a time when I would a go for a run starting at Belk Gym then heading off campus through College Downs over across Old Concord to John Russell, then Back Creek Church to UC Blvd. Those days long gone but thankfully there’s the greenway system, imperfect as it is.

WHAT’S GOING ON

Mary Alexander will be closed between Craver Road and Cab Lane

WHEN

Monday, May 13, 2019 beginning at 6:00 AM through Friday, August 02, 2019 at 6:00 PM

WHAT TO EXPECT

• Barricades blocking vehicle access
  • No bus pick up along the closed portion
  • Sidewalks will be open except for intermittent closures as the work crosses them

NOTICE ABOUT PARATRANSIT:
Drop off and pick up will be at Sycamore from May 13-31
Drop off and pick up at Hickory will resume on June 1

WHY

To connect new underground utilities with existing utilities as part of the Science Project.

New Veterans Park.

4 Likes

This will be a great addition to campus. Hopefully it is completed by the last home football tailgate or Veterans Day. It’s right next ot the blue lot.

Agreed, nice addition, but boy, $250K doesn’t buy much any more.

We paid that for brick seating wall / planter / golf cart parking thing behind Kennedy. I couldn’t figure out how that cost the price of a house.

2 Likes

Government work is good when you can get it.

2 Likes

49er1

I was in Moore the night we beat ncsu in the ‘76 NIT. That was a hell of a special night of celebration on campus. Probably the first time campus had ever experienced anything like that. I’m sure it was. NINER history right there, mates!

1 Like

Freshman and sophomore memories…streaking and generally raising hell. Class of '75. Kind of sad.

84-87 in Moore. First Halloween party in the whole building was a welcome to college moment.

78-81 Moore, best part of college

I had the good fortune of being in the Garden that night!

2 Likes