Campus Construction Update

[quote=“NinerAlum18, post:1260, topic:24325”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:1257, topic:24325”]Pretty nice 49er Football graphics on the side of the new light rail cars.
[size=1em]

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bfqllw1hXqL/
[/size]

More UNC Charlotte graphics:

[/quote]
Love that they put graphics on the trains, was afraid they wouldn’t or worse but other schools graphics on there. Good to see, excited to see how it changes the area![/quote]they’re just temporary.

[quote=“Niner National, post:1261, topic:24325”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:1260, topic:24325”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:1257, topic:24325”]Pretty nice 49er Football graphics on the side of the new light rail cars.
[size=1em]

[/size]

[/quote]
Love that they put graphics on the trains, was afraid they wouldn’t or worse but other schools graphics on there. Good to see, excited to see how it changes the area![/quote]they’re just temporary.[/quote]
Figures, I should’ve known better that the school would never do something to proactively advertise their name.

[quote=“NinerAlum18, post:1262, topic:24325”][quote=“Niner National, post:1261, topic:24325”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:1260, topic:24325”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:1257, topic:24325”]Pretty nice 49er Football graphics on the side of the new light rail cars.
[size=1em]

[/size]

[/quote]
Love that they put graphics on the trains, was afraid they wouldn’t or worse but other schools graphics on there. Good to see, excited to see how it changes the area![/quote]they’re just temporary.[/quote]
Figures, I should’ve known better that the school would never do something to proactively advertise their name.[/quote]

The ads are temporary, but hopefully we have a long term agreement to continue purchasing ads on the cars.

[quote=“NinerAlum18, post:1262, topic:24325”][quote=“Niner National, post:1261, topic:24325”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:1260, topic:24325”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:1257, topic:24325”]Pretty nice 49er Football graphics on the side of the new light rail cars.
[size=1em]

[/size]

[/quote]
Figures, I should’ve known better that the school would never do something to proactively advertise their name.[/quote]they paid for advertising space on light rail cars as we are heading towards the beginning to service on campus. What more do you want them do with? To me, this is an instance where the school is doing marketing well.

Haven’t been by CRI entrance in awhile, but with the light-rail opening in a few weeks…is there any progress on the new entrance and landscaping? I know the plans have been out for a long time but didn’t know the time frame for completion. I know they buried the power lines and planted some trees along the sidewalk, but that seems about it. Just figured it would be nice to have the new entrance done by the time the light-rail opened.

[quote=“Niner National, post:1264, topic:24325”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:1262, topic:24325”][quote=“Niner National, post:1261, topic:24325”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:1260, topic:24325”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:1257, topic:24325”]Pretty nice 49er Football graphics on the side of the new light rail cars.
[size=1em]

[/size]

[/quote]
Figures, I should’ve known better that the school would never do something to proactively advertise their name.[/quote]they paid for advertising space on light rail cars as we are heading towards the beginning to service on campus. What more do you want them do with? To me, this is an instance where the school is doing marketing well.[/quote]

I agree CATS wasn’t going to let them place it on there for free and why would the school pay for an extensive long term advertising. In this case kudos to them for being on the trains when the service starts.

That project has been cursed. The first designer was fired for failure to perform, and then somebody didn’t bury the utilities at the proper depth so they had to put the mall on a generator to lower the lines on both sides of Tryon. Right now looking like construction going to be from June til October 2018.

That project has been cursed. The first designer was fired for failure to perform, and then somebody didn’t bury the utilities at the proper depth so they had to put the mall on a generator to lower the lines on both sides of Tryon. Right now looking like construction going to be from June til October 2018.[/quote]

Thanks! I didn’t realize they ran into that many issues, but that would explain the delay lol. Hopefully nearly complete for football season! I just think with the addition of the light rail and (hopefully) all the new visitors to campus, that it is crucial that we brand that entrance in a classy way like the main entrance. Let alone that wtharris/tryon intersection is one of the busiest intersections in Charlotte and we have no signage for our campus at the CRI entrance.

That project has been cursed. The first designer was fired for failure to perform, and then somebody didn’t bury the utilities at the proper depth so they had to put the mall on a generator to lower the lines on both sides of Tryon. Right now looking like construction going to be from June til October 2018.[/quote]

Thanks! I didn’t realize they ran into that many issues, but that would explain the delay lol. Hopefully nearly complete for football season! I just think with the addition of the light rail and (hopefully) all the new visitors to campus, that it is crucial that we brand that entrance in a classy way like the main entrance. Let alone that wtharris/tryon intersection is one of the busiest intersections in Charlotte and we have no signage for our campus at the CRI entrance.[/quote]
IIRC it’s going to be like U City Blvd but with just 3 pillars.

EDIT: I remember leaving the Chinese place across Tryon one day and overhearing a lady ask her friend if those buildings (CRI) were a doctor’s office.

Phil did an interview on WFAE today and mentioned building a 400 room full service hotel on campus. He threw out the name Marriott so I’m assuming it is already in the works. That would make campus an attractive spot for academic conferences and sporting events.

They have been talking about this for 2-3 years. I think we are finally getting close on it.

Construction cam for new Admissions and Visitor Center

They have been talking about this for 2-3 years. I think we are finally getting close on it.[/quote]

I believe the University Foundation is going to own this. Does that sound right? Last week I had about 20 people in town for meetings and they stayed in the University Hilton (the CIAA Tournament had Uptown booked) and everyone said it was old, tired, and kind of dirty. A new hotel on campus would probably stayed booked solid.

They have been talking about this for 2-3 years. I think we are finally getting close on it.[/quote]

I believe the University Foundation is going to own this. Does that sound right? Last week I had about 20 people in town for meetings and they stayed in the University Hilton (the CIAA Tournament had Uptown booked) and everyone said it was old, tired, and kind of dirty. A new hotel on campus would probably stayed booked solid.[/quote]
Correct. The land for the hotel by JW Clay station is owned by the Foundation.

Renderings of new CRI entrance.

That is correct. It will be a terrific amenity for the school.

Could the hotel end up being a profit center for the foundation? Sounds like a revenue stream to me.

Yes. I am not all that knowledgeable, but I believe we would get a hotel management firm to run it and they would basically pay to rent the hotel, and we would get a percentage of the profits.

Looks great. However, I wonder why it says “UNC Chapel Hill” on the slide presentation if you look at the top where it say what slide # you are on. Look to left and you’ll see it. It’s a hideaway banner so it disappears and then reappears as you scroll through the slides.

2 Likes

Speaking of construction, I heard Mike Hill is starting to BUILD something today. Hey-O!