Can 4 people really eat on $120/wk?

Don’t want to politically charge this, but does anyone else think Sally Squires is trying to politically charge her health column by saying she could feed four people healthily for $120 a week?

[URL=http://<a href=][URL=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/15/AR2007061502222_2.html?hpid=smartliving]www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/15/AR2007061502222_2.html?hpid=smartliving[/URL][/URL]

Her shopping list included:

Dried Beans
Canned Salmon
Eggs and Tofu
Bread
Apple Vinegar and Olive Oil (for salad dressing)
Frozen Vegetables
Watermelon

This is the list to feed a family of four “heathily” for a week. Couple of, I don’t know, stupid questions for her:

(1) OK, you have salad dressing, where’s the fu$#ing salad for the dressing?
(2) Is watermelon, which makes 12 servings, really going to meet the fruit requirement for four people for seven days? Three servings per person per week. Genius!
(3) You have bread to make sandwiches, but what do you put between the slices of bread?
(4) The beans, when cooked, can be put into “tacos, bean dip, soups, chili, salads and more.” Again, where the fu$# are these items?

From that list, I guess I can make watermelon omelettes or beans and salmon or a salad dressing sandwich…YUM!!

When you buy in bulk instead of buying per meal at a fast food place, the avg. probably isn’t much.

I think it can be done…if people are economical. My wife, daughter, and myself spend about 120-130 dollars a week at the store and we are VERY FAR from economical. That 120 includes diapers, beer (the good ****) and toiletries…stuff not covered by food stamps. If we wanted to…I’m sure we could trim 50 or 60 dollars off of that bill a week.

It can be done…you just have to be smart and plan your week/meals in a very economical way.

It should be noted that my wifes “hair care” products would reduce my monthly bill by around 100 dollars by themselves!

Do note that she said that was a sampling of what she found. not THE list. Just general ideas of types of items she bought.

[QUOTE=cakewalk5;244017]Don’t want to politically charge this, but does anyone else think Sally Squires is trying to politically charge her health column by saying she could feed four people healthily for $120 a week?

[URL=http://<a href=][URL=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/15/AR2007061502222_2.html?hpid=smartliving]www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/15/AR2007061502222_2.html?hpid=smartliving[/URL][/URL]

Her shopping list included:

Dried Beans
Canned Salmon
Eggs and Tofu
Bread
Apple Vinegar and Olive Oil (for salad dressing)
Frozen Vegetables
Watermelon

This is the list to feed a family of four “heathily” for a week. Couple of, I don’t know, stupid questions for her:

(1) OK, you have salad dressing, where’s the fu$#ing salad for the dressing?
(2) Is watermelon, which makes 12 servings, really going to meet the fruit requirement for four people for seven days? Three servings per person per week. Genius!
(3) You have bread to make sandwiches, but what do you put between the slices of bread?
(4) The beans, when cooked, can be put into “tacos, bean dip, soups, chili, salads and more.” Again, where the fu$# are these items?

From that list, I guess I can make watermelon omelettes or beans and salmon or a salad dressing sandwich…YUM!![/QUOTE]

I dont really understand the whole premise of the article…Foodstamps are meant to act only as a supplement to your spending…not to replace the entire bill. In NC, a familiy of 4’s max allotment is 518 dollars. That should be plenty to supplement your own spending habits for a month!

Dude you can eat on 2.10 cents per person per week. Just buy ramen in bulk.

Foodstamps are meant to act only as a supplement to your spending...not to replace the entire bill.

Yeah, tell that to all the sorry ass people who use nothing but food stamps for food and then blow what little cash they have on cigarettes, cheap booze and lottery tickets.

Yeah, tell that to all the sorry ass people who use nothing but food stamps for food and then blow what little cash they have on cigarettes, cheap booze and lottery tickets.

Why you gotta talk about me when I’m not lookin?

As Mr. Colbert says, the ticket is only a dollar, but if they win, their rich and can buy all of the food they want.

Or at least a Bentley…then some SoCo.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;244048]Yeah, tell that to all the sorry ass people who use nothing but food stamps for food and then blow what little cash they have on cigarettes, cheap booze and lottery tickets.[/QUOTE]

I used to work at the teeter on Mallard creek, I don’t know how many times I would check people out on food stamps who were buying steaks, crab legs, shrimp, then they would buy beer with the wad of 20’s they had in the pocket. One time this lady was telling the guy she was with that they were going to “smoke up” before they had their crab legs, I guess they knew they would be hungry…

I think that food stamps are needed for some people, you know people with disabilities and such. However there are many people that rob this nation blind.

I think that food stamps should be limited to generic items only though. heck i eat the Harris Teeter pasta, they can too.

As Mr. Colbert says, the ticket is only a dollar, but if they win, their rich and can buy all of the food they want.

Yea but most who play, get paid weekly and then blow $5-$20 on lottery tickets while never winning a damn thing. Of course, those same people tend to be uneducated and don’t realize they’d be better off putting that $20-$80 each month in a high yield Money Market account. Or at least pay additional principal on their single-wide, assuming they’re not renting it.

i lived off of 100 dollars for a month once. not exactly fun. but i learned how to bargain shop. which is probably the lesson i was supposed to learn.

[QUOTE=Gill2003;244042]Dude you can eat on 2.10 cents per person per week. Just buy ramen in bulk.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean 210 cents or 2.1 dollars? No one can eat on 2.1 cents per week.

2 dolla and 10 sense.