Can Butler beat Indy?

I didn’t know the correct forum to place this, if there’s a better one, please highjack.

Article today, brings up the talent at Butler high. And is this the year they can beat Independence? They almost had them beat last year. And they are stacked again this year. Of course, Indy brought in a strong running back from another school that should bolster their running game. So, I think this will be a good game.

Interestingly, Indy could lose before they even get there. They play out of state, I think Ohio or somewhere, against another powerhouse program. So Butler may not get the chance to break Indy’s streak.

nope

Actually, I believe the game in Ohio is preseason. I graduated from the Big I and worked for the football team my junior and senior years of HS. I knew Chris Leak and I was at the last game they lost. BTW, the ref made a horrible call in that game that gave Crest the win eventually. If we had won, you could add 4 games to the current streak. Since Charlotte doesn’t have football I have enjoyed following high school football. I typically do a better job of picking weekly winners than local sports analysts. Anyways, as for the Butler game… You have to realize the rivalry. I was in the first class of freshman split in half for Independence and Butler. The rivalry is so intense it has made national game of the week the last several yers during it’s occurance. It really doesn’t matter how good either team is. It is always a really heart felt game and about the best rivalry I have ever seen. Butler has a chance, but the only guarantee is that it will sell out quick as usual and be a great game.

Butler lost one of their big time DB’s to a season ending injury. If something goes wrong early in the game, Butler falls apart because those kids just don’t feel they can win (Against Indy). They had a big lead last year and blew it. It has to be the mental attitude. I do think this will be the year that Indy’s streak will end. I don’t think it will be to Butler though. It could come in the playoffs. All this being said, Indy couldn’t beat Gaffney, SC in my opinion. I saw them scrimmage Crest last Saturday and they made Crest look like a JV team. (Size and speed wise)

I hope Indy’s streak continues because it is good for NC high school football across the country. They have put the level of high school football talent we have on the map.

[QUOTE=Ruckus42;253669]I hope Indy’s streak continues because it is good for NC high school football across the country. They have put the level of high school football talent we have on the map.[/QUOTE]
The streak has brought the attention, but other teams have harvested the opportunity. I recall Butler having a higher national rank than the Patriots a few times over the past 6 years.

[QUOTE=Ruckus42;253669]Butler lost one of their big time DB’s to a season ending injury.[/QUOTE]

Which one?

Spencer Adams is the 11th ranked safety in the country according to Rivals.

Robert Blanton is the 10th ranked safety in the country according to Rivals and has committed to Notre Dame.

Both play for Butler.

If you’re going to stop Independence’s passing attack, that’s a pretty good start.

Independence TE Mario Carter (NC State recruit) is gone for the season.

[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/sports_breaking/story/238165.html][B]Independence TE out for season[/B][/URL], Charlotte Observer

Yes.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;253695]Yes.[/QUOTE]
Is this by any chance weighted by your alma matter? :shades:

Is this by any chance weighted by your alma matter? :shades:

Nah, I went to East Meck. In fact, I hate Butler. I just think this is the year.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;253700]Nah, I went to East Meck. In fact, I hate Butler. I just think this is the year.[/QUOTE]

I think butler will get the shaft by the refs again. Just because everyone wants independence to beat the all time win record. which gives them 2 more seasons of winning before they lose i think.

I think butler will get the shaft by the refs again. Just because everyone wants independence to beat the all time win record. which gives them 2 more seasons of winning before they lose i think.

They have the record for a public school I believe… Your speaking of the private school that holds the record, who’s name escapes me at the moment.

[QUOTE=dax;253701]I think butler will get the shaft by the refs again. Just because everyone wants independence to beat the all time win record. which gives them 2 more seasons of winning before they lose i think.[/QUOTE]
Didn’t you go to Snobidence? Their only goal the last few years was to beat Independence. We see how successful they have been. I know it came close two years ago, but are you seriously calling it on the refs? There will always be calls, but Independence has a good squad. Period.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;253703]They have the record for a [U]public[/U] school I believe… Your speaking of the private school that holds the record, who’s name escapes me at the moment.[/QUOTE]
I don’t know whether it is a private or public thing. The national prep record of 151 wins, set by De La Salle High School (Concord, California) is the longest winning record in any sport, at any level (high school, collegiate, and professional) in the United States. I don’t think Independence will make it to that. I was pretty sure with the cockiness of last year’s team it might have happened then. I’m pretty sure it will happen this year, I just don’t know who it will be.

As much as I hate Butler, I have to admit, they are STACKED this year. They have some super studs. Robert Blanton is going to Notre Dame, Eddie Whitley is going to VA Tech, and Jacob Charest is being recruited by Cal, Iowa, Illinois, Louisville, and Oregon.

Even if Butler did beat Big I, that would just piss Big I off to kill them in the playoffs.
It’d be better to lose in the reg. season, & beat them in the playoffs, rather than vice versa.

I don't know whether it is a private or public thing. The national prep record of 151 wins, set by De La Salle High School (Concord, California) is the longest winning record in any sport, at any level (high school, collegiate, and professional) in the United States. I don't think Independence will make it to that. I was pretty sure with the cockiness of last year's team it might have happened then. I'm pretty sure it will happen this year, I just don't know who it will be.

I’m just quoting the news guy from the other night… that’s what he said. I went to HS in VA, but my freshman year down here was Leak’s senior year and he was all over the news, so it caught my attention. Where I’m from, nobody throws the ball all too much and to see a school run an offense like that was/is quite impressive.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;253733]I’m just quoting the news guy from the other night… that’s what he said. I went to HS in VA, but my freshman year down here was Leak’s senior year and he was all over the news, so it caught my attention. Where I’m from, nobody throws the ball all too much and to see a school run an offense like that was/is quite impressive.[/QUOTE]

If you can execute a passing offense in high school, you can dominate. Most high school defenses, from a talent and coaching perspective, are not prepared to defend a passing offense. When you take a talented passing offense with lots of weapons, look out. Most coaches do not want to run such an offense though, because a) they believe only bad things happen when you pass b ) they don’t have a QB with an arm c) there is usually more talent at RB (i.e. run the ball).

Concord, the times I have seen them play in the past, was a 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust team. Last year, they went to a 4 and 5 wide passing attack and won the 3-A Championship. They lost their first three games, then won thirteen straight. I don’t know if it was their first year running this scheme, but they beat some good teams en route to the 3-A title.

Didn't you go to Snobidence? Their only goal the last few years was to beat Independence. We see how successful they have been. I know it came close two years ago, but are you seriously calling it on the refs? There will always be calls, but Independence has a good squad. Period.

I don’t know whether it is a private or public thing. The national prep record of 151 wins, set by De La Salle High School (Concord, California) is the longest winning record in any sport, at any level (high school, collegiate, and professional) in the United States. I don’t think Independence will make it to that. I was pretty sure with the cockiness of last year’s team it might have happened then. I’m pretty sure it will happen this year, I just don’t know who it will be.

no i went to myers park.

I teach at a Cabarrus County school in a Charlotte 4A conference. We do fine against other Cabarrus schools, and then we get stomped by our conference (haven’t won a conference game since moving to 4A). It’s brutal.

Anyway, does anyone have any info about these Charlotte teams for this coming year?

Vance
Mallard Creek
WC
Hopewell
N. Meck
Waddell (non-conf)

I teach at a Cabarrus County school in a Charlotte 4A conference. We do fine against other Cabarrus schools, and then we get stomped by our conference (haven't won a conference game since moving to 4A). It's brutal.

Anyway, does anyone have any info about these Charlotte teams for this coming year?

Vance
Mallard Creek
WC
Hopewell
N. Meck
Waddell (non-conf)

waddell usually likes to run the ball because they suck at passing.
vance has a crazy short pass game they were good two years ago not to sure how good they are now.
WC has a crazy running back who i think is being scouted by a lot of D1 scouts.
Hopewell has improved but not much
North Meck has a good defense from what i’ve heard.

don’t know about mallard creek.