Can we still make the tourney????!!!

[QUOTE=BobandEd49er;146406]I donā€™t think so. The fact that they played for the Tarheels got them more attention from scouts, but scouts ultimately look at talent, not the team. If you are a mediocre pro prospect but you play for the Tarheels, you will get looked at more often than a mediocre pro prospect from say Butler, but I donā€™t think playing for the Tarheels makes someone a first round pick, or is ā€œa big factorā€.[/QUOTE]

You must not know anything about marketingā€¦

Why did the Bobcats go for so many Tarheelsā€¦There a brand nameā€¦
Why didnā€™t Eddie get drafted after being CUSA player of the year and defensive player of the yearā€¦while other potential POY did get draftedā€¦

I keep thinking about how we made the Tournament (somehow) in 01-02, when we lost during our non-conference schedule to Miami, Valpo at home, and squeaked out a two point win at home against Appalachian. In conference we lost once to Marquette, lost at Louisville (an NIT team that year), and got blasted twice by Cincinnati (and a third time in the conf tournament). And we got in. We need a big conference run, and I mean a BIG one, but I guess anything is possible.

If we play with the intensity and composure I witnessed on Thursday, we will be a Tourney team. However, it will be tough to sustain that level of play.

We have a ton of new parts and it is taking time for the way this team needs to play to win. They started to get it versus Indiana until they lost their composure and tried to match 3s. Against Rutgers they held their composure when faced with adversity and held on for the win.

I know we bash Lutz on here often about his style of play, but obviously he is a smart guy. I think he is finally getting through to the players how THIS team needs to play. The next week or two will show if it has really sunk in or Thursday night was just about revenge from last season.

This is the most important quote for the season:

[URL=http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/mp3s.cgi?Old_School=composure.mp3]http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/mp3s.cgi?Old_School=composure.mp3[/URL]

[QUOTE=jbpfeen;146362]Seriously, I am doubtful, but what do you guys think? It looks as though weā€™ll have to only suffer 2-4 (at most) more losses this year and/or win the A-10 Tourney. I, like many, keep waiting to see this team finally hit on all cylinders.

To dance or not to dance???[/QUOTE]

The answer to this is simply ā€œnoā€. I donā€™t have to bash the teamā€™s head in to convey that they wonā€™t make the dance.

[QUOTE=niner007;146408]mostly in the last 2 successful years weā€™ve picked up a lot of half ass fansā€¦Seems most of them are showing there colors now. I never really get into it on this muchā€¦but damn itā€¦iā€™m sick of some of you guys. [/QUOTE]

Donā€™t you dare call me a half ass fan simply because Iā€™m a realist and not a ā€œGreen Tintedā€ blind homer. Iā€™ve had season tix for the last 10yrs and have missed maybe 5 home games in that stretch. I am a REAL fan.

What makes me sick? People like you that want to ignore ALL of the facts and blindly say that we can miraculously become a great team half way into the season. I admire your loyaltyā€¦but your blind optimism borders on insanity.

Againā€¦the only fact you have provided to support your ā€œturn aroundā€ fantasy is by comparing our team to a Natā€™l Championship team that had 6-7 McDā€™s AAā€™s and 4 first round NBA draft picksā€¦YOU STILL DONā€™T SEE HOW RIDICULOUS THAT IS?!

[QUOTE=niner007;146408]My point in the previous post is that we have talent, We have a good coach, and we have a good program.[/QUOTE]
I agree. But againā€¦it means nothing. We SHOULD be betterā€¦but weā€™re notā€¦and itā€™s too late to make a miraculous turnaround. Good talent (which may be a stretch), a good coach and a good program, coupled with $1.50 might get you a large Coke at the right gas station.

[QUOTE=niner007;146408] All teams experience the troubles that we areā€¦as in the case of the tarheel example. It doesnā€™t really matter if we have national championship talent or how fā€™n many 1st round draft picks we may or may not have. The point is we have the talent to do much bettter than we are.[/QUOTE]

Againā€¦I agree. We SHOULD be better than we areā€¦but after 11 gamesā€¦donā€™t expect us to become world beaters overnightā€¦which is what it would take to make the Dance. And yesā€¦other teams struggle tooā€¦but the donā€™t go 6-5 with a SOS of 125ā€¦and if they doā€¦they donā€™t make the Dance either. If I rememebr correctlyā€¦the year you spoke about UNC-Chā€¦they didnā€™t make the Dance eitherā€¦MY POINT.

Think of it this way:

If youā€™re Flunking Accounting halfway into the semester, you would need to make all Aā€™s on the remaining tests and possibly an A or B on the final JUST to pull out a decent grade Ā©. Is it realistic to expect you to all of a sudden ā€œget itā€ and ACE the rest of the semester after Flunking the first half?

Thatā€™s the kind of turnaround our team would have to make. Itā€™s not realistic.

Again, if you think my realistic point of view is being an assā€¦then I can lie to youā€¦I just thought you wanted honest feedback and opinionsā€¦which is what I gave.

But letā€™s get this straightā€¦my honesty does not cloud my support for the program. I am a TRUEā€¦but honest/realistā€¦Niner fan.

Donā€™t call me a half ass fan again.

[QUOTE=KTown49er;146435]If youā€™re Flunking Accounting halfway into the semester, you would need to make all Aā€™s on the remaining tests and possibly an A or B on the final JUST to pull out a decent grade Ā©. Is it realistic to expect you to all of a sudden ā€œget itā€ and ACE the rest of the semester after Flunking the first half?
[/QUOTE]

Which is exactly what I did in cost accounting many years ago.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;146437]Which is exactly what I did in cost accounting many years ago.[/QUOTE]
Boy, now I have faith the 49ers will get to the seconc round of the Dance! If Over40 can achieve greatness so can the teamā€¦:silly:

[QUOTE=KTown49er;146435]

Donā€™t call me a half ass fan again.[/QUOTE]

Half ass!! Sorry KTown, couldnā€™t resist. :biggrin: Anyways, nothing wrong with being realist but I prefer to hope things will turn around. Not saying it will, but Iā€™m hoping nonetheless.

[QUOTE=HP49er;146439]Boy, now I have faith the 49ers will get to the seconc round of the Dance! If Over40 can achieve greatness so can the teamā€¦:silly:[/QUOTE]

Over40 has achieved greatness in many other (& better) ways since then.

:smile:

[QUOTE=VA49er;146441]Half ass!! Sorry KTown, couldnā€™t resist. :biggrin: Anyways, nothing wrong with being realist but I prefer to hope things will turn around. Not saying it will, but Iā€™m hoping nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

I hope it does tooā€¦I just canā€™t realistically see it happen at all.

Itā€™s like being a parent at your kidā€™s talent show when your kid just isnā€™t as good as the rest. Iā€™m there, Iā€™m cheering, Iā€™m being supportive and I hope my kid wins but realistically I know thereā€™s no chance for it. Iā€™m still a supportive parent in the end. Right?

Then there are the ā€œotherā€ parents. The ones that still think their kid is Mariah Carey when she canā€™t carry a tune in a wheelbarrow. They start screaming conspiracy and blaming othersā€¦when the fact isā€¦their kid jut isnā€™t that good. Those parents are annoying and in their own little world.

Thatā€™s what a lot of our fans remind me of.

You can still be supportive and objective. It is possible to be a fan and yet be a realist. Is there anything wrong with that?

Our RPI SOS will only go up from here on out. According to the Pomerory ratings, our SOS is 69th. And our Non-Conf SOS is 72nd.

The teams we have lost to are bad, but they are better than a lot of other BAD teams out there, and their RPI will only increase.

But none of that matters if we donā€™t do our part and win.

Letā€™s beat Asheville and URI and then weā€™ll talk about Dayton.

[QUOTE=KTown49er;146445]
Itā€™s like being a parent at your kidā€™s talent show when your kid just isnā€™t as good as the rest.
[/QUOTE]

There is one major difference. A talent show is based on INDIVIDUAL performances. We are talking about a TEAM sport. Less talented teams often beat more talented teams; but I also think we may have more talent than many of our upcoming opponents.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;146449]There is one major difference. A talent show is based on INDIVIDUAL performances. We are talking about a TEAM sport. Less talented teams often beat more talented teams; but I also think we may have more talent than many of our upcoming opponents.[/QUOTE]

Over40, Can I nominate you as my official spokesman?

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;146449] but I also think we may have more talent than many of our upcoming opponents.[/QUOTE]

Alot of good thatā€™s done us lately. :unhappy:

[QUOTE=KTown49er;146445]Itā€™s like being a parent at your kidā€™s talent show when your kid just isnā€™t as good as the rest. [/QUOTE]

Sounds like the voice of experienceā€¦perhaps thats why your so pessimistic

[QUOTE=niner007;146462]Sounds like the voice of experienceā€¦perhaps thats why your so pessimistic[/QUOTE]

Oh boyā€¦

[QUOTE=VA49er;146463]Oh boyā€¦[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no kidding. That was pretty low. This thread will either be locked or shuffled off to the smack forum now.

We are toast as far as an at large bid. Is it possible? Yes, if and only if we win about 25 games. Are we gonna win 19 more games with 18 regular season games left. Thats for you to decide, but if I was a betting man iā€™d put my money on the NIT. With the rediculous losses we have right we arent getting an at large bid. Its A10 tourney champs or bust for us. Thats why the wins and losses really dont matter anymore. We just have to try and save some face and improve from here out. I think this team definetly has the talent to make a run at the A10 tourney though. If not I think we will scrap out enough wins to make the NIT. I personally agree with Ktown on alot of what he said too. He is making some pretty good points, but some people want to live in a dream world I guess.

[QUOTE=4t9er;146468]We are toast as far as an at large bid. Is it possible? Yes, if and only if we win about 25 games. Are we gonna win 19 more games with 18 regular season games left. Thats for you to decide, but if I was a betting man iā€™d put my money on the NIT. With the rediculous losses we have right we arent getting an at large bid. Its A10 tourney champs or bust for us. Thats why the wins and losses really dont matter anymore. We just have to try and save some face and improve from here out. I think this team definetly has the talent to make a run at the A10 tourney though. If not I think we will scrap out enough wins to make the NIT. I personally agree with Ktown on alot of what he said too. He is making some pretty good points, but some people want to live in a dream world I guess.[/QUOTE]

4t9erā€¦you made my pointā€¦not seeing how you could be disagreeing with my post in favor of Ktown. If you go backā€¦my first post in this thread said we are pretty much out of an at large bid. Then I said it doesnā€™t matter really how many we win or lose from here out, its going to really come from the conference tourny. And we do have enough talent and time to get it together to show up for that.

The reason to be optimistic is that we have A) Talent. and B) Time before the A10 Tourny.

And yes some of do like living in a dream worldā€¦Its a very pleasant one.