Car Maintenance to Last

[QUOTE=Powerbait;436917] I only get things done when I know the car needs it, most cars will let you know when there is something wrong. [/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, that kinda sucks when you’re on Interstate 85 near downtown. AAA sent me a letter saying they wouldn’t come get me anymore when I was in college. I couldn’t help but laugh.

[QUOTE=VA49er;436936]Unfortunately, that kinda sucks when you’re on Interstate 85 near downtown. AAA sent me a letter saying they wouldn’t come get me anymore when I was in college. I couldn’t help but laugh.[/QUOTE]

Well, hopefully you recognize the signs before that…

[QUOTE=mineshaft;436601]I am wondering what are the MUSTS when it comes to maintenance.

I always change the oil every 3,000 miles and rotate the tires regularly. I always try to get selled the transmission flush, fuel system flush, etc.

I want to know which services I should really get and which ones are the mechanic’s way of making an extra buck off of me.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

With the newer cars it’s probably not a big deal…but I have always found that using Mobile 1 oil and filter are a great investment.

So when I take my '06 Acura TL to get the oil and filter changed, I say “Change the oil, thanks”.

Do they put in the appropriate quality oil for my car type? or should i be asking for upgraded oil?

And about flushes and stuff… I’ve always wanted to tell them I wanted to watch, because for non-car buffs, how the heck to we really know if they did it?

Well most garages put in some generic 5w30. It is great for most engines but not optimal. 5w is how well the oil does in the cold. The lower the number the thiner the oil and the better it flows. The second number is how well it performs in the heat. Essentially a multi grade oil just has an additive in it that lets it start of as a (example 15w30) 5w when its cold but when it gets hot it wont get thinner then a 30w would.

A 5w40 is a great oil. High revver like yours could benefit greatly from a oil that can take the heat. The 5 means its thin which is good for you, and the 40 means when it goes hot it wont break down as easy. If your really into performance driving you could go with a 0w40 if your really tuned with a 9k rev engine or something LoL. During the winter months, I usually switch to a 10w40 for those cold mornings. I use Mobile 1 :slight_smile: Sometimes as hot as it gets here I think I should dig up a 5w50. But 5w40 is easier to find.

Honestly cibi, the rate they will charge you for a better oil will cost you $. You outta just do it yourself. Its not hard and you’ll save a ton! Buy a few bottles of 5w40 Mobile 1 and a good oil filter. It usually only takes 15 minutes once you get used to doing it. Good filter and oil will run you 20-30$ which is considerably better then the 55$ most garages charge.

The best way to check if they’ve done a radiator flush is to check the color of the fluid before and after. You can ask them to notify you when their flushing so you can walk by the bay and see whats going on. If your doing it at a dealer they will gladly show you what they are doing. Beware though alot of ‘flushes’ are just drain and fills. Ask the garage what is involved with a flush and what they are exactly doing before dropping your cash!

[QUOTE=Gill2003;437320]Well most garages put in some generic 5w30. It is great for most engines but not optimal. 5w is how well the oil does in the cold. The lower the number the thiner the oil and the better it flows. The second number is how well it performs in the heat. Essentially a multi grade oil just has an additive in it that lets it start of as a (example 15w30) 5w when its cold but when it gets hot it wont get thinner then a 30w would.

A 5w40 is a great oil. High revver like yours could benefit greatly from a oil that can take the heat. The 5 means its thin which is good for you, and the 40 means when it goes hot it wont break down as easy. If your really into performance driving you could go with a 0w40 if your really tuned with a 9k rev engine or something LoL. During the winter months, I usually switch to a 10w40 for those cold mornings. I use Mobile 1 :slight_smile: Sometimes as hot as it gets here I think I should dig up a 5w50. But 5w40 is easier to find.

[/QUOTE]
thanks for the quality info Gill. You could be my mechanic. Sad thing is, I HAD NO IDEA what 10w40 really meant.

One question… you said, 1) “5w is how well the oil does in the cold. The lower the number the thiner the oil and the better it flows.” and then 2) "During the winter months, I usually switch to a 10w40 for those cold mornings. "

I’m confused, for the Cold Winter months, shouldn’t you use 5w instead of 10w?

I always put 10w40 in my old car that had an oil leak. So 10w30 is average and anything <10w and > 30 is the premium stuff?

Err sorry, your right, it should be I switch to 5w40 in the winter. I like to be at 10w40 in the summer. This summer I stuck to 5w40 the whole summer, since I didnt drive my jetta unless it was to shred tires.

But like I said, you would be good with 5w40 all year round really.

And yeah, feel free to post up questions. Theres a few shade tree mechanics on here!