CAROWINDS ANNOUNCES NEW ROLLERCOASTER FOR SPRING 2009!

Hey guys. Some of you awhile back asked me if Carowinds was getting anything big. Well, I couldn’t say anything then but I knew that they were. Here is the info for you now.

[URL=http://carolinacobra.carowinds.com/][COLOR=darkgreen]http://carolinacobra.carowinds.com/[/COLOR][/URL]

It is going to be 125ft high. It has 3 inversions and you go throught the ride twice, one time forwards and the other backwards. It is taking the place of what was Flying Super Saturator which has been demolished and removed from the park. I just thought some of you might like to hear about this since you were asking.

Thanks. I know some folks who work with Cedar Fair in Ohio, so I’ve come to expect that they stay mum about upcoming enhancements.

Been told that the Cobra used to be “Head Spin” at Geauga Lake in Ohio.

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/coasters/yellowpages/coasters/headspin_glake.shtml

not sure if that is true or not? perhaps, you can confirm.

nice upgrade to the park, but for me personally, it does not have the WOW factor, I would like to see Carowinds add to their collection. It still seems Carowinds has a long way to go to catch up. If its the same ride from Geauga Lake or not, it still looks like Carowinds in back in the late 80’s-early 90’s of ride technology.

There is nothing I have found at Carowinds that comes close to even one of these rides:

Millenium Force at Cedar Point

Top Fuel Dragster at Cedar Point

Apollos Cheriot at Busch Gardens Europe

Griffin at Busch Gardens Europe

Alpengeist at Busch Gardens Europe

Perhaps, you can verify a rumor that I’ve heard. I’ve been told there are height requirement restrictions because of Carowinds’ proximety to flight patterns for Douglas Airport. Don’t know if its true, but I’ve heard it more than once.

Bottom line - At least Carowinds is getting better, but they still have a ways to go to motivate me to buy season passes again.

ETA: Until this year, I had purchased Season Passes every year for the past 5+ years, and went 3-4 times per season. This summer we did not go to Carowinds, at all. Before school restarted, I asked one of my kids if they missed Carowinds. They said “NO”. They were happier going to Cedar Point, Kings Island and Busch Gardens, albeit for shorter amounts of time.

Cool. Still havent been on the borg simulator.

I actually got to go to Cedar Point. You are quite right. That park has Carowinds by a long shot. The Carolina Cobra was fromerly “Head Spin” from Geauga Lake. The difference is that Carowinds is trying out a whole new train design. The train has never been designed like this before so that should be interesting. I will keep you guys updated as much as I can. I actually work at the park so when I can give you info I will.

[QUOTE=unccsax;339496]I he difference is that Carowinds is trying out a whole new train design. The train has never been designed like this before so that should be interesting. [/QUOTE]

Interesting point.

Know someone who rode Head Spin at Geauga, they said it was “good” but not “great”. Will have to watch feedback on train changes.

[QUOTE=49or bust;339493] borg simulator.[/QUOTE]

Borg is fun, but wait time…way too long to load and unload people takes away from the ride.

But again, it was hand me down, from Paramount’s Great America (I think) out in California.

I look forward to the day the Carowinds gets ITS OWN new coaster.

Apollos Cheriot at Busch Gardens Europe

Griffin at Busch Gardens Europe

Alpengeist at Busch Gardens Europe

Could have swore those were all in Williamsburg :tongue:

Could have swore those were all in Williamsburg :tongue:
The name changed confused the hell out of me. I really thought people were talking about a Busch Gardens in Europe.

can’t wait

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;339506]Could have swore those were all in Williamsburg :tongue:[/QUOTE]

Wise guy, eh? :tongue:

[QUOTE]Busch Gardens opened in 1975 as Busch Gardens: The Old Country. It was later renamed Busch Gardens Williamsburg and is now known as Busch Gardens Europe.[/QUOTE]

of course, with InBev buying Anheiser-Busch, it sounds like the whole Busch Entertainment unit is on the market. Who knows what it might called next year.

Maybe they should call it Sybil. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sybil_(1976_film)

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;339504]I look forward to the day the Carowinds gets ITS OWN new coaster.[/QUOTE]

I watched a program on rollercoasters and they said that all new rides were going to happen less frequently these days due to cost. They said that because parks are now owned by families of parks, the park parent company will buy a ride and then rotate it through it’s parks. This is godd because it will help one park keep getting new rides, but it is bad because if you already rode the ride in FL it is not very new to you.