Cars

So I was wondering today, what kinda of car do your drive or prefer and why?

Ex. I like honda because their reliable

Damn, I didnt add Mitsubishi, Fiat, Suzuki-Maruti

clt has a zeppelin b/c of its handling.

I have so been waiting for this… I love cars! Chevy all the way! (In case you couldn’t tell by the screen name)

I worked really hard and my wife agreed to the purchase of my dream car as a graduation gift to myself. It is a 1998 Chevy Camaro Z28. 5.7L V8 (LS1) with a t-56 six speed transmission. She pumps over 300 horse power to the wheels and even more torque. Flat out she is fast than the Z06 the year it was made.

I do all of my own auto work! Thanks Gill!

Woot, I just added a poll.

Stock LS1 Z (with typical flowmaster) pulls only 275HP on a dyno, but torque 290. 290! Thats more then more pick up trucks! But I am kinda hestitant about that 275, only because I got it off a enthusiast site. It could be biased.

Is your car stock?

^ I don’t know about that. Ive owned a 97, a 98, and known MANY people to own 98+ LS1s, and Ive never seen an LS1 put down less than 300 at the wheels on a dyno. My 97 just had an intake and exhaust and put down 274 and 308 at the wheels.

Seems more like an enthusiast thread… if that’s the case, I’ve always liked BMW…

But from a more practical standpoint, Toyota is the best car company in the world. Most of the auto execs would agree with that. They have a superb product line at a (very small) premium price point.

I think the new Ford CEO recently stated that the LS430 is the best car in the world. (props to him for recognizing Ford’s shortcomings).

Yep, he did:

[QUOTE]The newly named chief executive officer of Ford Motor Co. drives a Lexus LS 430, the flagship luxury sedan from Toyota Motor Corp. that he unabashedly says he purchased because “it’s the finest car in the world.”
[/QUOTE]

Where is MG on the list? I feel left out!

If we are talking cars, no American product should be listed in my opinion. Now I don’t know much about cars. Your horsepower and torque and all the other bs you guys are talking is over my head. I just replaced my Acura TL with another. And when I’m ready for a new car I can’t see me getting anything different.

I know people who have had horrible experiences with Volvo and BMW. Saturn’s are the worst cars known to man and the drivers of those usually can’t drive worth a flip.

there have been rumors of GM and Ford merging…for many in this country that would be like UNC and Duke combining into one school and bball team…heads would explode. Its been speculated on though, I think they need to do that to buy out the unions so they can compete with Toyota…eventually

I like Maserati’s and Aston Martins…saw one of the 2 door coupe bentley’s the other day, awesome.

there have been rumors of GM and Ford merging.......for many in this country that would be like UNC and Duke combining into one school and bball team.....heads would explode. Its been speculated on though, I think they need to do that to buy out the unions so they can compete with Toyota.....eventually

I like Maserati’s and Aston Martins…saw one of the 2 door coupe bentley’s the other day, awesome.

Actually, the talks are of GM and Ford merging not with each other but with Renault. At least, that’s what I heard. GM turned them down, and they are looking at Ford now.

I doubt GM and Ford would merge. That would combine two money-losing companies together into one large money-losing company.

The problem at GM is that they have too many brands. Drop a few. There is no reaon to have the same car sold under 2 or 3 different badges. Ford has too many, also.

An even larger problem is the production capabilities. Japanese and German companies have flexible assembly lines that can be easily converted from one car to another. Ford and GM have specific lines for specific cars. The Japanese and German companies can quickly switch a line from a car that is not selling to one they can’t produce enough of. If American companies adopted this, they would lose money for a few years, but would eventually catch up and start being profitable again.

I am sure there are many other problems, but those are two. I don’t own cars made by either company, so I can’ speak to reliability issues.

I can’t wait to see if VW brings the new GTI here. They are making it available with BOTH a turbocharger and a supercharger. Can you imagine that? Tons of low end and high end on the same engine. A car that size with all that and 400 hp? Holy crap.

Damn, I didnt add Mitsubishi, Fiat, Suzuki-Maruti
Its alright Gill. [U]No one[/U] should prefer any of those.
Its alright Gill. [U]No one[/U] should prefer any of those.

Well, Fiat owns Ferrari.

[QUOTE=Noreaster;191939]Actually, the talks are of GM and Ford merging not with each other but with Renault. At least, that’s what I heard. GM turned them down, and they are looking at Ford now.

I doubt GM and Ford would merge. That would combine two money-losing companies together into one large money-losing company.

[/QUOTE]

I doubt they will too, but there were stories not to long ago about of GM-Ford merger…also stories of the Renault merger rumor as you mentioned…, several analyst later came out and said it was a long shot and mentioned an alliance was more probable.

can’t find it, but recently the WSJ had some interesting articles about GM and Ford…

I’ll be interesting to see how Toyota is received by Nascar

Well, Fiat owns Ferrari.
Ah yes, I certainly would like a Ferrari. I was thinking more about Mitsubishi and Suzuki when I made that statement.
Ah yes, I certainly would like a Ferrari. I was thinking more about Mitsubishi and Suzuki when I made that statement.

Dude, the Samurai is the coolest vehicle ever built!

My favorite vehicle:

[ATTACH]672[/ATTACH]

Dude, the Samurai is the coolest vehicle ever built!
Good one!:lol:

Im just not a big fan of the GM/Ford idea of making cars. Example Ford, they have ford fusion and mercury something or another. Now I wont pay top dollar for a supposedly luxury car, that can be mistaken for an entry level sedan. Sam goes with GM. Its like 1 car, but as a pontiac it supposed to be performance, and as buick its supposed to be luxury, and chevy… well is chevy.

Newer japanese and german cars have followed this trend to a degree.

GM has actually had some good success with Cadillac recently, made a good comeback with that brand…the others suck though.