Cartel 5 conf's pushing NCAA to make freshmen ineligible in Football & Hoops

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/2/14/8038431/freshmen-ineligible-college-sports-nba-age-limit?_ga=1.26778621.1191442244.1424372900

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2015/2/19/8071217/big-ten-freshmen-ineligible-football-mens-basketball

I don’t think this would fix the problem. They’d what? Redshirt a year and then only play one year? They’re still one and done in terms of actually playing; and it hurts players that would actually stick around for their whole time. Lame.

In the P5’s spirit of autonomy, the G5 could decide not to implement this and then players would prefer to come to our schools where they could play their first year.

The idea is to push the one-and-done players out of the NCAA entirely, to get them to play overseas. There will still be people leaving early but the ones talented enough will start making money. I’m surprised Brandon Jennings is still the only player to give play overseas instead of in college.

The idea is to push the one-and-done players out of the NCAA entirely, to get them to play overseas. There will still be people leaving early but the ones talented enough will start making money. I’m surprised Brandon Jennings is still the only player to give play overseas instead of in college.[/quote]

Emmanuel Mudiay Will be #2- he’s going to be a badass… I think a guy the Bobcats drafted even skipped his Sr Yr in HS to play in Europe somehere, but he sucked…

The idea is to push the one-and-done players out of the NCAA entirely, to get them to play overseas. There will still be people leaving early but the ones talented enough will start making money. I’m surprised Brandon Jennings is still the only player to give play overseas instead of in college.[/quote]

Emmanuel Mudiay Will be #2- he’s going to be a badass… I think a guy the Bobcats drafted even skipped his Sr Yr in HS to play in Europe somehere, but he sucked…[/quote]He’s going to China right? I thought I had read he’ll make a few million for one season.

Emmanuel Mudiay Will be #2- he’s going to be a badass… I think a guy the Bobcats drafted even skipped his Sr Yr in HS to play in Europe somehere, but he sucked…[/quote]He’s going to China right? I thought I had read he’ll make a few million for one season.[/quote]Mudiay signed a $1.2 mil contract with the Guangdong Southern Tigers after originally committing to SMU. Season cut short by an injury and replaced by journeyman Will Bynum.

clt says CUSA should avoid this policy. Sign up the one and drones, let’s go.

This.

Watch a G5 win the title with a bunch of one and dones and you will see them back track very quickly.

The only one and done problem is the perception among the blue bloods that there is something wrong with it.

As long as there isn’t cheating and proper support for academics I could care less if a player chooses to leave after one. All students can leave after one. What’s the damn difference.

STOP TREATING ATHELETES LIKE CHILDREN THAT CANNOT MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS!!!

This.[/quote]

^^^^ Most definitely.

Jeremy Tyler also skipped college to go overseas.

Would these big 5 whatever lose out on increased exposure, pub, money, championships, etc ? For example, the ACC is in favor of it where Duke doesn’t have Okafor or sec doesn’t want Kentucky’s one and dones? Seems the big 5 would be anti this new thing and the small teams like us would be for it.

Don’t see it happening unless every conference goes that route. Would create recruiting disadvantages otherwise. Never see the SEC agreeing to this.

This could work - if the bigger conferences want to push this we can agree - for a price. Keep access open to all schools.

This.

Watch a G5 win the title with a bunch of one and dones and you will see them back track very quickly.

The only one and done problem is the perception among the blue bloods that there is something wrong with it.

As long as there isn’t cheating and proper support for academics I could care less if a player chooses to leave after one. All students can leave after one. What’s the damn difference.

STOP TREATING ATHELETES LIKE CHILDREN THAT CANNOT MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS!!![/quote]

Students can make their own decisions anytime they want. I see accepting a college scholarship as a type of contract. I think once it is given it shouldn’t be able to be taken away by the school, but I also think the athlete agrees to the terms of the contract, which I think should include they stay on campus through their junior year. That is the price of thescholarship. Don’t like it? Don’t go to college. It irks me that people act like these kids are forced into going to college. They have choices just like everyone else. Awww poor you the school is making money off me. Guess what? You are making money off the school. You have access to all the facilities, the coaches plus your tuition. Don’t like it? Go over seas, stay home - whatever.

This.

STOP TREATING ATHELETES LIKE CHILDREN THAT CANNOT MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS!!![/quote]

Students can make their own decisions anytime they want. I see accepting a college scholarship as a type of contract. I think once it is given it shouldn’t be able to be taken away by the school, but I also think the athlete agrees to the terms of the contract, which I think should include they stay on campus through their junior year. That is the price of thescholarship. Don’t like it? Don’t go to college. It irks me that people act like these kids are forced into going to college. They have choices just like everyone else. Awww poor you the school is making money off me. Guess what? You are making money off the school. You have access to all the facilities, the coaches plus your tuition. Don’t like it? Go over seas, stay home - whatever.[/quote]

More money than ever is flowing through college sports. I think it’s fair to say that over time the value of a college scholarship has not kept up with the increases seen in TV contracts or endorsement deals.

The issue isn’t simply that the school is making money off the athlete. It’s that ONLY the school/NCAA is allowed to make money off the athlete. Allow players to independently cash in on their likeness, and you’d hear a lot of complaining go away. The catch is that the NCAA knows it can’t get a piece of that action - so it rigidly asserts that allowing players to accept money for autographs, appearances, endorsements could potentially lead to institutional impropriety.

“HOW DARE YOU TRADE THAT TROPHY FOR A TATTOO YOUNG MAN! NO BOWL GAME FOR YOUR TEAM NEXT YEAR! Oh wait you graduated? STILL NO BOWL GAME!”

The system is so absurd that it’s hard to respect. I am neither surprised or offended to hear some athletes complain about the status quo.

This.

Students can make their own decisions anytime they want. I see accepting a college scholarship as a type of contract. I think once it is given it shouldn’t be able to be taken away by the school, but I also think the athlete agrees to the terms of the contract, which I think should include they stay on campus through their junior year. That is the price of thescholarship. Don’t like it? Don’t go to college. It irks me that people act like these kids are forced into going to college. They have choices just like everyone else. Awww poor you the school is making money off me. Guess what? You are making money off the school. You have access to all the facilities, the coaches plus your tuition. Don’t like it? Go over seas, stay home - whatever.[/quote]

More money than ever is flowing through college sports. I think it’s fair to say that over time the value of a college scholarship has not kept up with the increases seen in TV contracts or endorsement deals.

The issue isn’t simply that the school is making money off the athlete. It’s that ONLY the school/NCAA is allowed to make money off the athlete. Allow players to independently cash in on their likeness, and you’d hear a lot of complaining go away. The catch is that the NCAA knows it can’t get a piece of that action - so it rigidly asserts that allowing players to accept money for autographs, appearances, endorsements could potentially lead to institutional impropriety.

“HOW DARE YOU TRADE THAT TROPHY FOR A TATTOO YOUNG MAN! NO BOWL GAME FOR YOUR TEAM NEXT YEAR! Oh wait you graduated? STILL NO BOWL GAME!”

The system is so absurd that it’s hard to respect. I am neither surprised or offended to hear some athletes complain about the status quo.[/quote]

Again if you don’t like it - don’t go to college. It isn’t like they get to college and then say ohhhh this is how this works? I do think the kids should be able to generate some income on their own, but that is difficult to create without granting recruiting advantages. I would say the value of the scholarship is directly tied to where you are going. In most instances the kids are probably making out quite well while the cream of the crop perhaps aren’t getting quite an even deal. Even then though those are the kids that use the school to launch their careers.

It isn’t an easy situation for either side. My biggest thing though is no one is forcing these kids to do this. If they don’t like it, don’t go to college to playball.

The problem with all this “the value of a scholarship hasn’t kept up with the amount of money being brought in by college athletics” is that it opens a whole new can of worms due to the fact that not all programs make the same amount of money and not all players are equal in what they bring to the table. If you’re treating this like a business, why would you pay Jalil Okafor and Gaby Gnoundjo the same amount of money?

I understand that college athletics are more lucrative than ever, but let’s not pretend that it’s as simple as that.

[quote=“Ben H, post:18, topic:29420”]The problem with all this “the value of a scholarship hasn’t kept up with the amount of money being brought in by college athletics” is that it opens a whole new can of worms due to the fact that not all programs make the same amount of money and not all players are equal in what they bring to the table. If you’re treating this like a business, why would you pay Jalil Okafor and Gaby Gnoundjo the same amount of money?

I understand that college athletics are more lucrative than ever, but let’s not pretend that it’s as simple as that.[/quote]

No need to run down Gaby we haven’t had anyone here in a decade that I would pay equal to Jalil Okafor aside from maybe David Booker.

This.

The system is so absurd that it’s hard to respect. I am neither surprised or offended to hear some athletes complain about the status quo.[/quote]

Again if you don’t like it - don’t go to college. It isn’t like they get to college and then say ohhhh this is how this works? I do think the kids should be able to generate some income on their own, but that is difficult to create without granting recruiting advantages. I would say the value of the scholarship is directly tied to where you are going. In most instances the kids are probably making out quite well while the cream of the crop perhaps aren’t getting quite an even deal. Even then though those are the kids that use the school to launch their careers.

It isn’t an easy situation for either side. My biggest thing though is no one is forcing these kids to do this. If they don’t like it, don’t go to college to playball.[/quote]

I agree with that 100%. I just don’t like the way the NCAA has all this language about “allowing the players to adjust to college with that extra year of not playing”. It’s bullshit. There are thousands of students out there that have to work their asses off first year and no one is bending over backwards to help them. It just seems so disingenuous. Is player welfare the reason behind this change or is it them trying to regain some measure of control over the one and dones?