Chapel Hill Phil vs Chancellor Philip Dubois

Since this question has already been askedā€¦ NO, HE WILL STILL BE CHP FOR THE SHORT TERM.

There are lots of problems to address on the campus, the least of which is the name change and branding issues.

no chp here. but weā€™ve argued that before.

no chp here. but we've argued that before.

Just an observation:

I think itā€™s interesting that probably 95% of the ā€œno chpā€ crowd are young students, 22 or so and younger. The alumni and older crowd (mid 20ā€™s and older), pretty much agree that he is still CHPā€¦

[QUOTE=Chisox17;343937]Just an observation:

I think itā€™s interesting that probably 95% of the ā€œno chpā€ crowd are young students, 22 or so and younger. The alumni and older crowd (mid 20ā€™s and older), pretty much agree that he is still CHPā€¦[/QUOTE]

yeah - i see that - important to point out though that Iā€™ve never been in favor of the CHP name, and in some thread somewhere I argued it. I know Iā€™m in the minority but thats fine. Either way weā€™re all united under the charlotte banner so its all good :49ers:

Alright ladies and gentlemen the time has come to make a decision. CHP has made his long awaited recommendation to the BOT in favor of football. He is the one and only chancellor in our schools history to get us within striking distance of football. So with that my question to Niner Nation is: Chapel Hill Phil vs Chancellor Philip Dubois. If the BOT votes yes in Nov and we raise the 5 million to finalize his recommendation, has he earned enough respect for us to drop CHP and give him a more respectful name?

Your thoughts and name suggestions here.

I kinda like Football Phil

I actually never use the CHP name. But at this point, I also donā€™t discourage others from using it either, so itā€™s kind of like using it. With that in mind, I donā€™t think heā€™s lost it yet. He did do a huge first step. But one thing I think youā€™ve overlooked is that he did set a stipulation that we have to buy 5,000 FSLs. So in a way he can still kill the football initiative.

The reason this is important is because unlike some of the proffessional teams PSLs, Charlotteā€™s FSLs probably arenā€™t a good investment. The FSL # will only increase for a long time before their is a demand to be able to resell them. So essentially we are paying $5 million towards building a stadium. I know most PSLs are also used to raise money, but there is also the possibilty of selling your PSL for a good value, because the demand for them is there and those other teams arenā€™t increasing the availabilty of new PSLs.

No. [U][B]WE[/B][/U] got us within striking distance of football. Phil just did his job.

Get us a name change and medschool and/or law school and then we will talk.

Until then the man in the blue tie is CHP.

Iā€™m here as well.

Personally I think he ultimately had no choice. Thereā€™s a real chance had he said no the trustees would have overruled him, but I may be wrong about that. In any case what did he do? He gave a ginormous amount of money as a requirement, a 6 month timeframe to raise 5 million through FSLā€™s. Bascially he said sure you can have football if you raise the money. Thatā€™s fair enough.

But he still is the same guy who bent over and said ā€œThank you sir, may I have anotherā€ when Chapel Hole stuck an extension of itā€™s med school in our city. The same guy who refuses to embrace a name change that is so badly needed and the same guy who still hasnā€™t shown any sign of FIGHTING for the funding we rightly deserve. Until I see those things, heā€™s CHP all the way.

Phil is better than Woodward, but that was not hard to beat. I hope he is gone in a few years and we have a new chancellor to usher in the football years.

no chp here. but we've argued that before.

I agree. Chapel Hill Phil doesnā€™t work. I know we still have far to go and things to do, but heā€™s only one person and he canā€™t do everything at once. I think we should be thankful that he gave us what we asked for with a football team.

[QUOTE=kissmekait20;343970]I agree. Chapel Hill Phil doesnā€™t work. I know we still have far to go and things to do, but heā€™s only one person and he canā€™t do everything at once. I think we should be thankful that he gave us what we asked for with a football team.[/QUOTE]

metro and over40 are going to destroy you.

[QUOTE=jfickett;343972]metro and over40 are going to destroy you.[/QUOTE]

Definitely, Kait is going to have to hideout for a few daysā€¦ especially with that avatarā€¦:lmao:

I agree. Chapel Hill Phil doesn't work. I know we still have far to go and things to do, but he's only one person and he can't do everything at once. I think we should be thankful that he gave us what we asked for with a football team.

I think it is unfair that we call him CHP, primarily because he has only been here 3 years. UNCC has about 6 or so huge problems:

1. football
  2. name change
  3. community connection
  4. crime/pedestrian comfort
  5. Branding
  6. UNC system funding problem

(just what I could think of off the top of my head)

Phil has address 1/6 of UNCCā€™s main problems already, within 4 yearsā€¦ thats not bad.
But, football can easily improve 2 or 3 of our other problems as well.

But to get back to it, Phil will always be CHP to me, until #6 gets addressed. And I think the name change should go with it hand in hand.

[QUOTE=kissmekait20;343970]I agree. Chapel Hill Phil doesnā€™t work. I know we still have far to go and things to do, but heā€™s only one person and he canā€™t do everything at once. [B]I think we should be thankful that he gave us what we asked for with a football team[/B].[/QUOTE]

sorry, kait. but i gotta kill you on this one.

thats the same attitude that if taken to the BOG we will never get adequate funding, never get our name changed, and never earn the respect of our peers. we should never be content. this university has a lot bigger problems than football, name change being the biggest one. medical school/law school being another. we still have a long ways to go.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;343863]Iā€™d love a med or law school, but to me the name change is now the most pressing matter. Until he shows serious interest in changing the name he will remain CHP.

Oh, and GET A GREEN TIE DAMNIT!!![/QUOTE]

He wore a green tie for the rally speech. So did Mac. Every admin and coach should have a green tie for every day of the week.

I agree. Chapel Hill Phil doesn't work. I know we still have far to go and things to do, but he's only one person and he can't do everything at once. I think we should be thankful that he gave us what we asked for with a football team.

:lmao:

i wanted to read a blow up, metro.

very disappointed.

i wanted to read a blow up, metro.

very disappointed.

the poor girl is so lostā€¦not worth itā€¦lot to do today

eventually a clue brick will land on her

So hereā€™s my .02, and thatā€™s all itā€™s really worth. Take it, put it in the bank, and maybe after a few hundred years of accruing interest, itā€™ll be worth more.

Chancellor Dubois didnā€™t ā€œjust do his job.ā€ If he was that dead set against it, he still would have said ā€œyes.ā€ He would have said ā€œyes, letā€™s play football. Letā€™s follow the FFC to a tee, lets get a great new $80 million stadium on our campus, and letā€™s go Big East or bust.ā€ He would have said all these things, and we would have loved him for it, until the Board of Governorā€™s said ā€œhold on a minute.ā€ We all know the BOG wasnā€™t going to lift the cap on student athletic fees for us, Dubois did too. So what does he do? He says ā€œyes, but lets do it like this: cut out that FBS part, cut that stadium down to $45 mil, and keep that student fee increase below $200.ā€ This way, the BOG would have no grounds to say no to football. In essence, he [I]defied[/I] the UNC Board of Governors to undermine his authority to lead our University. Now, why would a man named ā€œChapel Hill Phillā€ take away their only chance of crushing this movement?

Does he have a lot of work to do? Hell yes, he does. Do I like him? Not really. Heā€™s arrogant, condescending, andā€¦ wellā€¦ a politician. But as far as this moniker of his, say it if you wish, but Iā€™m going to give him a break on it for the time being.

Also, if youā€™ve posted that ā€œHeā€™s still CHPā€ in this thread, go ahead and remove any posts you may have put in the ā€œCaptionary Timeā€ thread.

So here's my .02, and that's all it's really worth. Take it, put it in the bank, and maybe after a few hundred years of accruing interest, it'll be worth more.

Chancellor Dubois didnā€™t ā€œjust do his job.ā€ If he was that dead set against it, he still would have said ā€œyes.ā€ He would have said ā€œyes, letā€™s play football. Letā€™s follow the FFC to a tee, lets get a great new $80 million stadium on our campus, and letā€™s go Big East or bust.ā€ He would have said all these things, and we would have loved him for it, until the Board of Governorā€™s said ā€œhold on a minute.ā€ We all know the BOG wasnā€™t going to lift the cap on student athletic fees for us, Dubois did too. So what does he do? He says ā€œyes, but lets do it like this: cut out that FBS part, cut that stadium down to $45 mil, and keep that student fee increase below $200.ā€ This way, the BOG would have no grounds to say no to football. In essence, he defied the UNC Board of Governors to undermine his authority to lead our University. Now, why would a man named ā€œChapel Hill Phillā€ take away their only chance of crushing this movement?

Does he have a lot of work to do? Hell yes, he does. Do I like him? Not really. Heā€™s arrogant, condescending, andā€¦ wellā€¦ a politician. But as far as this moniker of his, say it if you wish, but Iā€™m going to give him a break on it for the time being.

Also, if youā€™ve posted that ā€œHeā€™s still CHPā€ in this thread, go ahead and remove any posts you may have put in the ā€œCaptionary Timeā€ thread.

Building on what lew said, metro didnā€™t you say in a different thread that Phil was against football until Friday and Spangler told us we couldnā€™t have it. Maybe Iā€™m wrong but I thought I read that recently.

sorry, kait. but i gotta kill you on this one.

thats the same attitude that if taken to the BOG we will never get adequate funding, never get our name changed, and never earn the respect of our peers. we should never be content. this university has a lot bigger problems than football, name change being the biggest one. medical school/law school being another. we still have a long ways to go.

wrong. you need to show him that weā€™re thankful for giving us what we want. heā€™s not going to listen to us if he thinks weā€™re ungrateful. he works with us when we work with him. you guys all rag on him and call him CHP all the time (knowing that people in the administration read this message board) and you wonder why he replies to you with smartass emails. hm, I wonderā€¦

maybe try being courteous once in a while. kindness will get you far.

wrong. you need to show him that we're thankful for giving us what we want. he's not going to listen to us if he thinks we're ungrateful. he works with us when we work with him. [B]you guys all rag on him and call him CHP all the time (knowing that people in the administration read this message board) and you wonder why he replies to you with smartass emails. hm, I wonder...[/B]
I'm sorry, but you have your timeframe backwards. And some of the things he's said to alumni are in my opinion unfathomable.

Edit: And for all we know he might like being called CHP.