Charlotte 49ers Starting 5 ... at least my opinion

PG Jon Davis
SG Malik Martin
SF Brandon Younger
PF Dravon Mangum
C Jailan Haslem

We are going to be real short on experience this year, mine as well throw the freshmen into the fire.

PG: Jon Davis, McGill, Robb
SG: McGill, Martin, Younger
SF: Younger, Martin
PF: Supica, Mangum
C: Haslem, Supica

Really hope we can stick to the plan and redshirt Bertram.

If i were,guessing, this is what,i,would guess too.

Any decent walk ons that might be able to contribute this year?

at this rate we may be dressing the team managers provided they have any eligibility left.

That happened one year when I was in schoolā€¦'92-'93 season if I remember correctly. Andre Davis left the team and Delano Johnson got kicked off for shoplifting. A guy named WIll was a team managerā€¦we used to play pick up ball every evening at Belk and he would be there playing some. He was VERY averageā€¦even for pick up ball in Belk. But he was a team managerā€¦and ended up dressing out for gamesā€¦and even got some pt in a few blowouts.

Davis spent five seasons with us - 1992-93 to 1996-97. Redshirted 1994-95 (link to 1994-95 Metro Conference MBB capsules).

Johnson was a Niner 1989-90 to 1993-94. While correct that he was initially dismissed following the shoplifting charge, Mullins had a change of heart and reinstated him to the team.

I knew both left the team and returned laterā€¦assumed that was why Will was suiting up. Maybe we had injuries that year too. Looks like Delano was off the team in '92-ā€˜93 but Davisā€™ hiatus was the '94-'95 season.

Andre Davis as a freshman was being billed as the next Henry at the time. Talk about putting too much pressure on a young kid too early. He was pretty amazing as a Freshmanā€¦but seemed to regress every year after that.

1 Like

I had a feeling Ronny Sanchize was going with this unit as starter. Lets hope we can get better with these freshmen as the year goes on