Charlotte Baseball Thread - Week of March 3

OK, the trolls have their own thread to keep the middle school banter up. Discuss this weeks games here:

[quote=“49erAlumnus, post:1, topic:28667”][font=verdana]New week, new opportunity. One mid-week game and then our first C-USA series.[/font]

[font=verdana]Charlotte 2-6-1 [/font]
[font=verdana]RPI 154[/font]
[font=verdana]SOS 52[/font]
[font=verdana]C-USA RPI 12[/font]

[font=verdana]Wednesday @ 3 pm vs UNCA (1-7)[/font]
[font=verdana]Friday @ 4 pm vs FIU (10-1)[/font]
[font=verdana]Saturday @ 2 pm vs FIU [/font]
[font=verdana]Sunday @ 1 pm[/font]

[font=verdana]It looks like the weather will be warm again by the weekend![/font][/quote]

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:2, topic:28667”][font=verdana]FIU is ranked and getting votes in several polls.[/font]

[font=verdana]http://www.fiusports.com/Sports/MensSports/Baseball/Article/tabid/416/article/20893/-FIUBaseball-Ranked-21st-in-Latest-Collegiate-Baseball-Poll.aspx[/font][/quote]

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:6, topic:28667”][font=verdana]Just some random thoughts:[/font]

[font=verdana]We only have 2 stolen bases this year. I am sure that is contributing to our inability to manufacture runs.[/font]

[font=verdana]We have played Elwood, Creech, and Gallello at short this year and all have struggled defensively. Maybe it is time to give Mikal Hill a look there?[/font]

[font=verdana]Brett Lang has started all but 1 game behind the plate this year. Last year we had a rotation between Lang, Daddio, and Raley. Lang would DH on his “day off.” He got hurt last year down the stretch and I am worried we may be wearing him out.[/font]

[font=verdana]Elwood showed why he needs to be in the OF this weekend when he threw out the potential go ahead run at the plate on Sunday. He is probably our strongest and most accurate arm out there.[/font][/quote]

Who do you think will get the start against Asheville? Shive?

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was Shive he got off to a slow start in his first start but settled down and threw the ball really well after the first inning.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was Shive he got off to a slow start in his first start but settled down and threw the ball really well after the first inning.[/quote]

Probably Shive. I didn’t know what to expect going in to his first start since 2010, but I was pleasantly surprised. He pitched well enough to beat a good CofC line-up.

I am kind of surprised that we haven’t seen Matt Davis at all this year. He started one game of the Fall WS and did well. He must be either hurt or planning on red shirting, maybe both.

Mr B- where is UNCA game? Home or Asheville?

Home. This game was added to make up for games lost with the snow storm.

OT but C-USA has 5 teams projected for post season including FIU.

http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2014/03/04/2014-ncaa-regional-projections-march-4th/

1. Florida Atlantic
  2. Rice
  3. East Carolina
  4. Tulane
  5. Florida International

Our OOC schedule has 3 projected teams:

1. College of Charleston *
  2. VCU *
  3. Canisius *

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:7, topic:28668”]OT but C-USA has 5 teams projected for post season including FIU.

http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2014/03/04/2014-ncaa-regional-projections-march-4th/

1. Florida Atlantic
  2. Rice
  3. East Carolina
  4. Tulane
  5. Florida International

Our OOC schedule has 3 projected teams:

1. College of Charleston *
  2. VCU *
  3. Canisius *[/quote]

How long has it been since we played 8 teams projected to go to post season? At this moment, we are 2-2 against those teams.

I am very surprise that our rpi is so high. Canisus, Creighton, is the favorite to win their conference and college of Charleston and citadel are one of the top two favorites in their conference. The High Point loss hurt and we need to beat Winthrop, unc-Ashville and the other mid-majors lower rung teams.

Home. This game was added to make up for games lost with the snow storm.[/quote]
Darn- was hoping it was in Asheville, I was gonna try to catch it. If you go let me know how a kid named Phillip Treadway does for UNCA. He’s a family friend and a great kid.

Thx

Home. This game was added to make up for games lost with the snow storm.[/quote]
Darn- was hoping it was in Asheville, I was gonna try to catch it. If you go let me know how a kid named Phillip Treadway does for UNCA. He’s a family friend and a great kid.

Thx[/quote]
True story. Every coach we had got ejected at unca. We played…with no coaches. Has to be an NCAA first. There’s a huge hill in CF, entire staff sat up on it.

Thx[/quote]
True story. Every coach we had got ejected at unca. We played…with no coaches. Has to be an NCAA first. There’s a huge hill in CF, entire staff sat up on it.[/quote]
That’s funny as hell. A guy that we know is coaching UNCA and having a rough time. Doubthe makes it long. Former coach at TC Roberson, won state there a couple of times and got this gig. Doesn’t appear to be working too well but I can’t imagine UNCA is a very good DI job…

Unca pays significantly more than UNCC.

You sure about that?

SMITH, THOMAS A: UNC-ASHEVILLE $42,000

Eh, I don’t know for 100% but I do know for a fact Basketball HC Eddie Beidenbach left and got a pay hike to be an asst at UNCW and his assts were making less than 50K per a year (pretty sure).

I know that’s for basketball but I can’t see baseball paying well. Beidenbach was only making a little better than 100K as a pretty successful HC for a small time program.

Error. Wrong mtn School. App st is 90k, 20k more than Hibbs. Had them confused

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/02/24/1011452/university-employee-salaries.html?appSession=553440616217747

You sure about that?

SMITH, THOMAS A: UNC-ASHEVILLE $42,000
[/quote]

Yeah Hot Dog (AKA Tommy Smith- good friend with my brothers in law) can’t be making much

[quote=“metro, post:16, topic:28668”]Error. Wrong mtn School. App st is 90k, 20k more than Hibbs.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/02/24/1011452/university-employee-salaries.html?appSession=553440616217747[/quote]

gotcha, that seems plausible

Hibbs only makes 70K? wow, I know it’s not like football or basketball but hardly seems worth it (to Hibbs I mean)

UNC Fox