Charlotte Baseball - Week of 2/24

Went 2-2 last week. Now 2-2 overall. Five games scheduled this week:

@ College of Charleston (6-1) - Tuesday 4 pm
@ The Citadel (2-5) - Wednesday 5 pm
Creighton (2-4) - Friday 4 pm
Creighton - Saturday 2 pm
Creighton - Sunday 1 pm

College of Charleston should probably be ranked after taking their opening series from unc-ch and sweeping URI this past week.

Corbin Shive will get his 1st start on the mound since 2010 today. Coming off of TJ surgery, I didn’t expect to see him starting this year.

Here is a preview of CofC from Baseball America:

College of Charleston, which over the past four years has averaged 38 wins and made two NCAA Tournament appearances, should be an immediate contender in its first year as a CAA member. Eight of the Cougars’ nine positional starters are back off last year’s 31-26 squad. Junior shortstop Gunnar Heidt (.349, 54 RBI’s) tops that group along with first baseman Carl Wise (.321, 10 HR), second baseman Blake Butler (.321, 21 RBI’s) and outfielder Brandon Murray (.306, 54 RBI’s). Butler and Murray made the All-Southern Conference second team last season and Wise a member of the NCBWA Freshman All-America team. CofC’s top returning pitcher is sophomore Nathan Helvey, who went 5-3 with a 3.12 ERA in 2013.

Looks like there is a video feed from C of C: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/charleston-sports-network---cofcsports-com

[quote=“49erAlumnus, post:3, topic:28645”]Looks like there is a video feed from C of C: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/charleston-sports-network—cofcsports-com[/quote]You had better hope it works better than the feed they had for basketball.

True enough.

I hope that we don’t choke like we did in basketball.

Harder to choke when expectations are lower.

Who has lower expectations?

I would expect us to win if we have a 7 run lead in the 9th inning, just as I expected us to win when we had a 7 point lead with 39 seconds left.

I would expect us to win if we have a 7 run lead in the 9th inning, just as I expected us to win when we had a 7 point lead with 39 seconds left.[/quote]I would imagine PB was referring to the programs overall expectations.

I wish I knew what to expect. I’m not too sure about Shive starting today, but hey, I’ve been wrong before (often).

I wish I knew what to expect. I’m not too sure about Shive starting today, but hey, I’ve been wrong before (often).[/quote]

You’re also a glutton for punishment. (See Charlotte 49ers Fan).

I wish I knew what to expect. I’m not too sure about Shive starting today, but hey, I’ve been wrong before (often).[/quote]

You’re also a glutton for punishment. (See Charlotte 49ers Fan).[/quote]

Guilty as charged. I’m currently serving 25 years to life.

I would expect us to win if we have a 7 run lead in the 9th inning, just as I expected us to win when we had a 7 point lead with 39 seconds left.[/quote]I would imagine PB was referring to the programs overall expectations.[/quote]

We have been to the NCAA’s 3 times in baseball since the last time we went to the NCAAs in basketball. We had some success due to the A-10 being weaker in baseball and won 5 of the 8 regular season titles while in that league. As much as we benefited from a weak A-10, it also hurt us from a national perspective and recruiting.

Now we are stepping up into a league that takes baseball seriously, and people expect us to finish in the middle of the pack in what might be a 4-5 bid league. I don’t think that is unreasonable as long as our long term expectations are finishing top 4 in the league, competing for a Conference title, and being in position for an at large berth each year. That is what I expect for basketball, and any other sport.

I would expect us to win if we have a 7 run lead in the 9th inning, just as I expected us to win when we had a 7 point lead with 39 seconds left.[/quote]I would imagine PB was referring to the programs overall expectations.[/quote]

We have been to the NCAA’s 3 times in baseball since the last time we went to the NCAAs in basketball. We had some success due to the A-10 being weaker in baseball and won 5 of the 8 regular season titles while in that league. As much as we benefited from a weak A-10, it also hurt us from a national perspective and recruiting.

Now we are stepping up into a league that takes baseball seriously, and people expect us to finish in the middle of the pack in what might be a 4-5 bid league. I don’t think that is unreasonable as long as our long term expectations are finishing top 4 in the league, competing for a Conference title, and being in position for an at large berth. That is what I expect for basketball, and any other sport.[/quote]I would say coming into this season men’s basketball had higher expectations than baseball. I was speaking for this season only.

Now we are stepping up into a league that takes baseball seriously, and people expect us to finish in the middle of the pack in what might be a 4-5 bid league. I don’t think that is unreasonable as long as our long term expectations are finishing top 4 in the league, competing for a Conference title, and being in position for an at large berth. That is what I expect for basketball, and any other sport.[/quote]I would say coming into this season men’s basketball had higher expectations than baseball. I was speaking for this season only.[/quote]

Well of course. Baseball went from a garbage 1-bid league to a really good multi-bid league. Basketball went from a good multi-bid league to a garbage 1-bid league.

[font=Verdana][size=2]Back on topic, CofC will be starting a kid from Charlotte Christian against us today.[/size][/font]

[size=2]CofC stellar freshman Bailey Ober will get his second midweek start, this time against his hometown team in UNC Charlotte. Ober is 2-0 with a 2.70 ERA in two five-inning appearances, including a relief win over North Carolina.[/size]

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:16, topic:28645”][font=verdana][size=1em]Back on topic, CofC will be starting a kid from Charlotte Christian against us today.[/size][/font]

[size=1em]CofC stellar freshman Bailey Ober will get his second midweek start, this time against his hometown team in UNC Charlotte. Ober is 2-0 with a 2.70 ERA in two five-inning appearances, including a relief win over North Carolina.[/size][/quote]

A Charlotte kid going against us? What could possibly go wrong?

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:16, topic:28645”][font=verdana][size=1em]Back on topic, CofC will be starting a kid from Charlotte Christian against us today.[/size][/font]

[size=1em]CofC stellar freshman Bailey Ober will get his second midweek start, this time against his hometown team in UNC Charlotte. Ober is 2-0 with a 2.70 ERA in two five-inning appearances, including a relief win over North Carolina.[/size][/quote]

Niners lost 5-2 at CofC.
They scored 4 unearned runs in the 3rd on back to back errors by Creech.

Offense struggled tonight but pitching did great. Shive only allowed 1 ER and the bullpen shut them out.

It’s early, but we just can’t afford to give away runs against good teams. We just don’t score enough runs.

Looks like our baseball team is like our basketball team in making errors, no offense.