Charlotte- Best in NC next year??

This discussion was started in another thread and I felt it deserved its own. If all they ACC players go pro who could, then we may end up the best team in the state.
Here is how it could look in a worst case senerio for the ACC:

Here are the potential starting line ups for next year:

Charlotte:
PG Baldwin
SG Bennett
SF Alexander
PF Withers
C Iti/Nance

Duke:
PG Paulus
SG Nelson
SF Mechionie
PF McRoberts
C Randolph

UNC
PG Thomas
SG Terry
SF Noel
PF Hansbourgh
C Sanders

Wake
PG Gray
SG Joyce
SF Strickland
PF Ellis
C Visser

NC State
PG Bethel
SG Bennerman
SF Grant
PF Brackman
C Evtimov

If that is how things shake out, I like our chances. We would be favored against all of those teams with the exception of @ State.

I’d put my money on Duke

Its a might big “if”… but with the lineups you posted, we’ld be a lock for top 3 (imo, between duke+state). Even if we were the best, if we flame out at the end of the season again, there will be hell to pay. :frowning:

No.

I still think May will come back to Chapel Hill.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Apr 14 2005, 05:39 PM [b] No. [/b]
I second the "No" and will add a "not even close."

I was actually hoping this thread was a joke…and then I read it.

Those teams replace losses with other McD’s AA’s…we will replace Plav and Basden with JUCO’s & Transfers.

We were average this year and lost 2 of our Big 3. I would expect average again with a margin of error of Above average or below average. But to even mention with ANY degree of seriousness that we could be the best team in the state next year is laughable.

Just for comparison…how many other years in our HISTORY have we had the best team in NC?

I rest my case.

[i]Originally posted by KTown49er[/i]@Apr 14 2005, 06:15 PM [b] Just for comparison...how many other years in our HISTORY have we had the best team in NC?

I rest my case. [/b]

The answer is debateable: 1 or 0. If they call goal-tending against Marquette, we find out for sure.

This is ridiculous…do you think that these other schools have just stopped recruiting??? They are loaded with McAA…especially Duke…they have some real studs on the way.

[i]Originally posted by casstommy[/i]@Apr 14 2005, 06:54 PM [b] This is ridiculous...do you think that these other schools have just stopped recruiting???? They are loaded with McAA....especially Duke....they have some real studs on the way. [/b]
Is the 5/8 rule still in place and what impact does it have on those teams??? Even if they can add some guys, there's not a whole lot of major talent still out there.

I think we could hang with those teams, especially if Alexander is as good as I’m hearing.

[i]Originally posted by KTown49er[/i]@Apr 14 2005, 06:15 PM [b] I second the "No" and will add a "not even close."

[/b]

Same here…

Wow… One loss to State in the tourney and suddenly all the “ACC” envy crew is resigned to the fact that even with depleted rosters we can’t compete. That is really sad, are you all really that defeated??? For all thoses that say they have MD’s AA to replace their loses, that was factored into my lineups. I don’t think JJ and Sheldon will leave, but they could and if they did we could lay claim to being the best or according to most of you, we’re not in their league but might have a chance to beat UNC-A, UNCG, Davidson, ECU and App St.

Sad, If this is the attitude here, next year could be very ugly… At least Lefty is with me and I’ll bet I can get PI on board.

we would beat those teams to a bloody pulp

[i]Originally posted by Chisox17[/i]@Apr 14 2005, 11:47 PM [b] we would beat those teams to a bloody pulp [/b]
That's why Chisox it the F'ing man and the rest of you are chumps....
[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner+Apr 14 2005, 09:07 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (LeftyNiner @ Apr 14 2005, 09:07 PM)
[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Apr 14 2005, 10:49 PM [b] That's why Chisox is the F'ing man and the rest of you are chumps.... [/b]
B)
[i]Originally posted by HappyCamper49[/i]@Apr 14 2005, 06:08 PM [b] I still think May will come back to Chapel Hill. [/b]
may's outcome heavily revolves around the outcomes of raymond felton and mccants if felton leaves May is definitely gone

Are you on crack? We still have a coach who can’t coach Xs and Os, recruits from the juco and transfer circuit and don’t forget that we have the most undisciplined team in the country because the coach doesn’t reign his players in.

Now, add that to playing in a weak A10 and see what you get.

Well both CP3 and Eric Williams have said they are hiring agents. McCants has at well. I think we’ll be better than Wake. D’A and Marcus can really play.

[i]Originally posted by ATL_Niner[/i]@Apr 15 2005, 09:05 AM [b] Are you on crack? We still have a coach who can't coach Xs and Os, recruits from the juco and transfer circuit and don't forget that we have the most undisciplined team in the country because the coach doesn't reign his players in.

[/b]

And yet wins 20 per season, 5 out of 7 yrs in NCAA, 3 Conf titles. Just think if he could actually coach or recruit. :unsure: Same old debate, I know. :smiley:

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Apr 14 2005, 11:43 PM [b] Wow..... One loss to State in the tourney and suddenly all the "ACC" envy crew is resigned to the fact that even with depleted rosters we can't compete. That is really sad, are you all really that defeated??? For all thoses that say they have MD's AA to replace their loses, that was factored into my lineups. I don't think JJ and Sheldon will leave, but they could and if they did we could lay claim to being the best or according to most of you, we're not in their league but might have a chance to beat UNC-A, UNCG, Davidson, ECU and App St.

Sad, If this is the attitude here, next year could be very ugly… At least Lefty is with me and I’ll bet I can get PI on board. [/b]

If you wanna talk like that you should have put this thread in the Fantacy World Forum. This main sports forum is for serious discussions about basketball.

We may be near the top level in terms of talent next year, but we still have the 6BC (best coach) in the state. He is probably tied for sixth with the UNCA guy that out coached him this year. And if the ECU coach hadnt lost his job he would be right there in the heap. I said this on another thread. When you lose to ECU and Herb Sendek, you lose all mention of being the best in state for at least three years.