Charlotte development thread

I can tell a huge difforence between our companies that have employees in the office and the ones at home. I’m sure there is a messurable loss in productivity from a customer service perspective.

I disagree, I know plenty of people working just as hard remotely as they would be sitting in a cubicle in an office building. They just don’t have the wasted time and added stress of commuting. Getting occasional quality time with your co-workers is more beneficial than warming a chair every day in an office.

2 Likes

I’ve worked at home 20 years and my numbers have been as good or better than co-workers in an office. Lots of wasted time in offices. Long lunches, chatting for 15 minutes with co-workers a few times a day, etc.

Hell, I work a lot more than if I were in an office environment, even on weekends when the weather isn’t good

2 Likes

I’ve only been doing it since Covid started, but I am having the exact same experience as Hootie.

1 Like

I think the challenge is the cliche some bad apples spoil the whole bunch. Most can work just as effectively or even more WFH, but those that dont ruin it for others.

Same. I used to leave the office at 5:00 to get home by 6:00. Now i have an extra hour to work til 6:00 if desired. I used to leave home around 8:00 to get to the office by 8:30. Now without the morning commute and being more casual not having to get office dressed, I start working around 7:45. i used to almost always take full hour for lunch, away from my desk. Now, I eat lunch at my desk, while working, most days. So that’s 2-3 hours extra work for most days.

2 Likes

Which is better from your experience?

I have had the same experience as Hootie as well since coming home from COVID.

Productivity for my team is way up compared to before.

As far as bad apples, we don’t have any but if we did they would be managed up or managed out.

Charlotte Mecklenburg Library University Branch is moving closer to University Lake.

https://twitter.com/JoeBrunoWSOC9/status/1578166499420016641?s=20&t=844KJoqLC8d4GhFs0qEBsQ

Library Shut Up GIF by The Kid LAROI.

clt says libraries are fun.

https://ui.charlotte.edu/story/here-and-gone-when-major-buildings-dont-even-make-it-middle-age

Data obtained by WBTV shows that the level of safety and security incidents on CATS buses ranks among the highest in the country. The figures seem to contradict a claim by CATS CEO John Lewis in July, when he said CATS had “operated several million miles without incident.” Between April and August, CATS’ private security firm logged 50 reports of assault, 10 assaults with a weapon and dozens of reports involving drugs, theft, larceny and robbery attempts. One bus driver told the station: “You have drugs, prostitution. On any given day, honestly, for any drug users in Charlotte, come to the transit center. You can get all the dope you want.”

Pennsylvania-based High Associates is seeking to rezone a 12.4-acre office park near University City.

The commercial real estate firm filed a petition with the city of Charlotte last week to rezone 10130 Mallard Creek Road, converting it into a mixed-use development. High Associates purchased the property in 2008 for $25.6 million, according to Mecklenburg County real estate records. It’s currently home to Prosperity Place, a suburban Class-A office park.

2 Likes

The question was, why has Austin in recent years had an explosion of high rises while CLT in the last couple has not changed much?

In CLT, I have noticed that high rises seem to be built in waves. The same may be true for Austin, and it sounds like Austin has experienced one of those waves. But CLT is about to enter into a new high growth wave. I have lost track of all the new high rises coming in the next few year or so. But I am sure it must be in the 10-15 range.

Someone mentioned that Austin is a tech center, and this is correct. But CLT fir the last 10-15 years has ranked among the top 5 cities for millineals to relocate to.

Also, I am pretty sure, with the high millennial growth and the surge of the 5-6 bar districts in town, CLT has outgrown its reputation as a family only town. Singles are moving to CLT from all over the country. In fact, CLT keeping 5-6 bar districts busy is a testament to the idea that CLT is now more than a family city.

I used to travel to ATL frequently in the 1980s and 1990s. In 1990, ATL was the same size as CLT today a metro population slightly smaller than 3 million. But ATL only had one bar district then - Buckhead. But they had bars spread all over the region because back then urban sprawl was flourishing.

ATL has always had the reputation as a party town. But CLT today has a nightlife that is as vibrant or maybe more vibrant than ATL in the late 1980s.

1 Like

Austin used to build high-rises in waves. That hasn’t been the case for about 10+ years now. No more waves. It’s constant. They’re developing a second downtown now by the Austin FC stadium. Construction never stops. Cranes constantly and everything minimum 20 floors. Most of it 50+ floors now. Crazy.

clt is confused. Charlotte’s skyline continues to expand

Oddly enough, companies and employees seem to prefer the Texas tax structure to many other places. Who would have guessed!