Charlotte Football hires former Texas Co-OC Herb Hand

I donā€™t blame Healy at allā€¦I just wished we hadnā€™t hired someone of his type.

He is a typical college football snake oil salesman. He just wraps it all into a self-deprecating, look at me I look 15yrs old schtick that the media adoresā€¦and he knows itā€¦and is parlaying it into job offers even when he hasnā€™t proven anything as a coach.

I was excited at the timeā€¦as well as with all of the other young-buck type coaches. But itā€™s easy to see that they donā€™t fit what we need to build and sustain success.

We need re-treads. Late 40ā€™s to 50+yr old coaches that have had their SEC taste/run and are ready to settle in and build a legacy somewhere long term.

If Iā€™m recruiting against Healy right now, I take every newspaper article that mentions his name and him interviewing for other jobs and I tell the recruits why would you want to follow a guy to a school heā€™s been trying to leave ever since he stepped on campus.

Weā€™re never going to win anything hiring coaches that only want to be here just long enough to put it on a resume. A coaching revolving door will only guarantee we continue to spin our wheels in the middle of a sucky ass conference. We need stability to move onward and upward.

To do soā€¦we need to target a completely different demographic in our coaching searches IMO.

1 Like

I really think that whole take is off the mark. His agent is of course going to promote him. Calling him a snake oil salesman seems a bit harsh though. He needs to continue upgradiing our talent and bring in the best coordinators he can get. We finally have what looks like a normal QB room. If we can solidly our line play, we may have something this coming season.

1 Like

I have to agree with @Mr_Bojangles, letā€™s win one conference championship and deal with whatever happens next. So far our strategy of losing and firing coaches isnā€™t the answer.

I would love to be a Charlotte coach recruiting a kid and have an opposing coach say, ā€œyou know, the SEC is after WIll Healy big time, and there is no way he will be there for your four years.ā€ My response would be, ā€œHey, the SEC knows what we are building here, come join us. You sure donā€™t want to play for a coach that isnā€™t getting any attention!ā€

Please show me ANY confirmations (not random speculation) about WHERE he has interviewed. I am not naive and I am quite sure that ā€œhis peopleā€ have spoken to some schools within the last 1.5 years. However, I donā€™t think (and certainly donā€™t know) he is out there pushing for the fastest way out of here either ā€”which seems to be what you are implying, as fact.

1 Like

I think snake oil salesman is a bit harsh as well. He is selling the sizzle and not the steak.

I have said it before, Will Healy is very good at promoting Will Healy. He is making a good damn living off of 2017. He is 14-27 absent that year and 14-16 since. The aw shucks, I am just here for the kids tends to sell well.

I agree about the coordinators but he needs to keep said coordinators as well. He deferred his $100k bonus into a pool for assistants. How many of those guys are still here? My concern about coordinators leaving is they may see firsthand what TRL has said above and decided to leave.

1 Like

Whether he has interviewed or not (and Iā€™ve not seen where he has) he has certainly signaled (through the media and his agent) that if youā€™re looking then I am looking. That is pretty clear.

Itā€™s far better to have a coach people want and that gets talked about (Will) than a coach that no one wants (Ron).

The reality is we are a stepping stone job at best. I know some of yall donā€™t like that, but its reality. If we have a coach that wins here, they will likely leave. Just like Melvin did. Thatā€™s life for schools like us. Bobby would have bolted for Tenn if they had offered. The fact that no one hired away Judy was part of our problem. The reality is there are only a handful of destination jobs and we arent one of them - for any sport and will likely never be one. If you think differently you green tinted glasses are too dark.

With that said I have been told Will had committed to being here for 5 years. He obviously isnā€™t driven solely by money as he turned down more money for himself for money for his staff. Only an idiot wouldnā€™t interview for jobs if offered, but if I recall the only job we got any intel on that he MAY have interviewed was Mizzou. Ive interviewed for jobs I had no intention of taking just because the opportunity presented itself.

Football staffs are always moving and adjusting and that is ok - sure it makes back filling tough but our budget is not going to allow us to match offers when bigger schools come calling (atkins). Will will being doing this dance as long as he is here.

1 Like

Speaking of matching offers, can anyone think of an example when the buyout clause for a G5 coach kept them from leaving? I am sure it must have happened, but it canā€™t be often. Sure it brings the G5 school some cash, and maybe a P5 game (if they donā€™t just buy it out), but I think we probably focus too hard on trying to keep coaches, and not enough on being the best stepping stone out there.

1 Like

Get me a CUSA title and Iā€™ll wish you all the best at your next stop. Clark has won multiple and stayed, Kiffin won two before he took the Ole Miss job. Brohm won it at WKU before taking the Purdue job.

Edit: This type of staff turnover doesnā€™t feel out of the norm for a G5 team, Iā€™d rather have a staff with people that are in demand than those that are not.

1 Like

clt says heals can pull a few lines from this vid if someone brings up him leaving here

It feels like youā€™re describing Kiffin to a T and he didnā€™t stay long enough at FAU to build a legacy. I agree with others we should be happy when we hire coaches that get promoted to better programs than ours. We talk a lot about our potential but we are a long ways from being a top tier program that someone would turn down $EC offers from.

Itā€™s hard though, look at Butch Davis vs Kiffin. Both have elevated their programs but Iā€™d rather have Kiffins success and hope I can replicate it with the next hire than Davisā€™s longer tenure. That being said both worked out well for F() U.

If your goal is to find a guy who will stay here if he winsā€¦well good luck. That strategy hadnā€™t really worked out for us.

Iā€™m okay with us going after up and comers, much better than hiring dudes who are ā€œhappy to be hereā€. Canā€™t really believe the sentiment that we donā€™t want the kinda coaches who are sought after. Feels like the ugly dude who is worried about his hot new girlfriend cheating on him.

You wanna create the culture where the best of the best are here.

1 Like

I remember during one of the mens basketball coaching searches LeVelle Moton name being brought up and some people not liking his website of himself. Itā€™s just business and money fellas. It is interesting Moton is still there though. He had a decent year/s and thought he would have capitalized.

What I heard is there are issues with Moton that is a roadblock on the academic side and no president or chancellor would sign off on hiring him.

I agree we will have a hard time keeping a winning coach long term but I donā€™t think itā€™s impossible to keep one 5 years or more. The idea that the interest in Healy is to be expected is ridiculous to me. Very few if any other coach would be getting interest from SEC schools with Healyā€™s record. It just doesnā€™t happen without the hype that he gets from social media & his agent. I will be more than happy to have a coach who finishes at or near the top of CUSA for consecutive years leave for greener pastures. That hasnā€™t happened here & the uncertainty that has come the last 2 years has to affect recruiting & our ability to retain assistant coaches. I have no problem with Healy & think he is doing a good job hyping the program but the idea that we are better off because we go thru part of November & December wondering if he will be our coach next season is just crazy to me. Not arguing with anyone. Thatā€™s just my opinion.

We got one thread bitching about having a coach nobody wants, and here we have bitching about having a coach everybody might want?

4 Likes

Both have recruited well on paper. One has a 22-31 record the other has a 33-45 record. Funny how they have very similar results but one is in high demand while the other is not. Their buyouts have something to do with that but the big difference is the verdict is still out on Healy & we may not have seen the best of him. Year 3 will tell us a lot. Weā€™re almost thru year 3 of Sanchez & itā€™s looking more & more like we may have seen his best.

And herb goes to UCF.

lol that was quick. Jesus. Source: UCF hires Herb Hand as offensive line coach