Charlotte Golf Courses

[i]Originally posted by RWORKMAN09+Aug 6 2005, 10:15 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (RWORKMAN09 @ Aug 6 2005, 10:15 AM)
Originally posted by fsquid@Aug 6 2005, 12:50 AM [b]
[i]Originally posted by fsquid[/i]@Aug 7 2005, 02:27 PM [b] Also, aren't many private golf clubs losing members? I thought i was a national trend, that's why some are going semi-private. [/b]
s%^*s for the clubs but good for the golfers!!
[i]Originally posted by fsquid+Aug 7 2005, 02:27 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (fsquid @ Aug 7 2005, 02:27 PM)
Originally posted by RWORKMAN09@Aug 6 2005, 10:15 AM [b]
Originally posted by fsquid@Aug 6 2005, 12:50 AM [b]

Eastwood

ive only played a few public courses around charlotte, but i did enjoy highland creekā€¦it wasnā€™t that it stuck out a lot from any other golf course, but the two times ive played there the fairways were nice and short and the ball would roll for forever, and then the green were soft and if i was able to hit a green it would stickā€¦and im playing there tomorrow morning

but then again ive only played traditio and charles t meir (for intramurals) as far as as charlotte goes

What kinda poll is this? No Paradise Valley?

No Sunset Hills? No Paw(tucket) Creek? No Crystal Springs?

Actually, I like Skybrook and Rocky River the best. Luckily, we now have lots of good golf courses to choose from in Charlotte.

Pawtucket ripped me a new one a few weeks ago. That layout was tough for me. Bad neighborhood though, watch for the snatch and run on your clubs at the 7th green.

[i]Originally posted by Over40NINER[/i]@Aug 18 2005, 01:53 AM [b] No Sunset Hills? No Paw(tucket) Creek? No Crystal Springs?

Actually, I like Skybrook and Rocky River the best. Luckily, we now have lots of good golf courses to choose from in Charlotte. [/b]

Sunset Hills is the only course where I asked for my money back because it sucked so bad. I played about 7 holes. When I got on the next tee box I had no idea which way the next hole went. I was standing on the tee, could not distinguish a fairway and saw about 3 holes that I could drive to with my driver.

The funniest part was when I got to the pro shop. They actually had a sign on the door that said ā€œshirt and shoes required in the pro shopā€.

Sunset Hills is a dogtrack. I didnā€™t even know it was still open.

I live on Westport Golf Course and word is that someone is in the process of buying it and is going to completely redo it.

[i]Originally posted by hootie[/i]@Aug 8 2005, 09:05 AM [b]Eastwood[/b]
'bout time Eastwood gets some love

Golf and the Charlotte Landscape

[b]Eastwood is a particularly interesting subject to study since it represents a finished chapter in this city's evolving green space. The 18-hole course opened in 1947 on its site near the intersection of the Plaza and Eastway Drive and closed just recently on January 15, 2000. The history of Eastwood not only shows the personal and impersonal forces involved in the evolution of a golf course but also the ways in which a space can have different meaning to so many people.

The clubhouse was not paneled in oak or mahogany but fake wood. The grill room didnā€™t serve pork tenderloin, it served hot dogs. Celebrities like Willie Nelson, Reba McIntyre and Morganna Robert the athlete-kissing stripper visited Eastwood. For years the course earned a reputation as being a gamblersā€™ paradise. Golfers tried all kinds of stunts at Eastwood to win bets, such as playing shots off the roof of the clubhouse, playing the 18-holes with a lacrosse stick, and playing the course in nothing but a pair of swimming trunks.

Soon train whistles and car horns replaced whippoorwills and thrushes as the golfersā€™ prime distractions. By the time the course closed, a gas station sat some 30 feet from the 10th green and a Bojangles restaurant just across four lanes of traffic from the 11th tee.13 The last owner of the course Pat Whisenant tried to do for the course in the '90s what even famous chicken and biscuits could not do and that was remodel it.

The course had come to be known as ā€œEastweedā€ and when Whisenant purchased the land in 1991 he applied to it, in his own words, the ā€œCourse of Dreams Theory: If you rebuild it, they will come.ā€ He extended cart paths, added some 300 trees and shrubs, and completely closed down the front 9 and back 9 in alternating years. His attempts to spruce up the course could not seem to stop the decline in rounds played. Between 1991 and 1999 Whisenant raised greens fees three times and saw play decline each time. In 1999 he sold the land to Mulvaney Properties, a group planning an infill residential development with a possible park. And very quickly 110 acres of green vistas were overtaken by homes.[/b]

Iā€™m a member(and live) out at Northstone, which is a wicked courseā€¦crazy greens. I have played Skybrook, Birkdale, Highland Creek and Ballantyne in the past and they great public courses. If you feel like venturing out HWY 73 to Lincoln county, Verdict Ridge is awesome too. And you canā€™t beat Fox Den in Statesville for the money.

If you want real cheap, try Mallard Head in Mooresville. Itā€™s $19 bucks, with $1.50 dogs and $1.00 beers!

[i]Originally posted by GtfoMyPorch[/i]@Aug 18 2005, 10:54 PM [b] I live on Westport Golf Course and word is that someone is in the process of buying it and is going to completely redo it. [/b]
where is that?? I'm new to the city.

Iā€™m playing Waterford tomorrow down in Rock Hill. Iā€™ve heard its tough.

[i]Originally posted by fsquid[/i]@Aug 18 2005, 09:50 PM [b] Sunset Hills is a dogtrack. I didn't even know it was still open. [/b]
I thought you said you were new to the city.

Youā€™re correct. It is a dogtrack.

And to whoever mentioned Verdict Ridge, I consider that the toughest course in the Charlotte area.

Also, everyone needs to pay a visit to the championship course at Rock Barn in Conover. We played the back tees there a few weeks ago and it was all I could do to break 85.

[i]Originally posted by Over40NINER+Aug 19 2005, 01:36 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Over40NINER @ Aug 19 2005, 01:36 PM)
[i]Originally posted by GtfoMyPorch[/i]@Aug 18 2005, 10:54 PM [b] I live on Westport Golf Course and word is that someone is in the process of buying it and is going to completely redo it. [/b]
I live close to it. I HOPE it happens. Would be a good time to buy a house out there. There were a bunch for sale the last time I drove by.

clt plays golf.