18. Marist
  19. George Washington
  20. Bucknell
  21. New Mexico State
  22. Northern Iowa
  23. Pennsylvania
  24. Toledo
  25. New Mexico

Others Considered: Oral Roberts, Charlotte, Drexel, Western Kentucky, Niagara, Loyola Marymount, San Franscisco, Saint Louis, Long Beach State, Northern Arizona, Loyola (Chicago)

I hope “Marist” was just a typo

Wow that is depressing. The fighting Martin Itis are ranked higher than us. Well, I guess its better to go into the season under the rader, than have a glamorous ranking and a target on our backs…

Memphis is a mid-major, LOL! Over40, post that link on their board and watch the meltdown occur (again).

Wow that is depressing. The fighting Martin Itis are ranked higher than us. Well, I guess its better to go into the season under the rader, than have a glamorous ranking and a target on our backs..

remember plavichs senior season we weren’t ranked very highly and we ended up being ranked like 20th at one point in the season. i’d rather be under the radar to begin with so their isn’t much pressure.

[QUOTE=HP49er;190232]Memphis is a mid-major, LOL! Over40, post that link on their board and watch the meltdown occur (again).[/QUOTE]

I think Over40NINER is banned from the mempiss board (like most other Niners on this board)… but I have a sneaky feeling this may still somehow wind up on their board. :smile:

Looking at the list of teams, it looks like any team not in a BCS conference was considered a mid-major. It makes you wonder if David Poole had something to do with it.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;190238]

Looking at the list of teams, it looks like any team not in a BCS conference was considered a mid-major. It makes you wonder if David Poole had something to do with it.[/QUOTE]

If your not in a BCS conference, you ARE a mid major. That is reality, as painful as it is…

[QUOTE=Jimmyhat49er;190244]If your not in a BCS conference, you ARE a mid major. That is reality, as painful as it is…[/QUOTE]

You’ve been corresponding with David Poole way too many times. :smile:

That sounds like something he would say in one of his dissertations while telling all 25 listeners of the Fudge show about how terrible Charlotte is.

I doubt Louisville, Cinci, Marquette, and DePaul were considered mid-major by many when they were in CUSA. Very few consider mempiss mid-major. What about Temple and St Joes? Same for Houston, UAB, and others.

Of course, the mid-major label is nothing but opinionated anyway, so if you want to call us mid-major, then so be it.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;190253]You’ve been corresponding with David Poole way too many times. :smile:

That sounds like something he would say in one of his dissertations while telling all 25 listeners of the Fudge show about how terrible Charlotte is.

I doubt Louisville, Cinci, Marquette, and DePaul were considered mid-major by many when they were in CUSA. Very few consider mempiss mid-major. What about Temple and St Joes? Same for Houston, UAB, and others.

Of course, the mid-major label is nothing but opinionated anyway, so if you want to call us mid-major, then so be it.[/QUOTE]

When we were in Conference USA we were in a MAJOR basketball conference and I would not have and did not considered us a mid major then. We aren’t in that conference anymore and that MAJOR conference doesn’t exist anymore. The reality is with the college landscape the way it is today, we are mid major and to think otherwise is being disingenuous. Mid Major doesn’t mean bad, I’m fine with being one of the Best Mid Major programs, it works fine for Gonzaga. Until we get football it is our only option.

mid major polls are utter bullshit. there is an underlying assumption that it’s a lesser level of play, which is complete bunk.

that poll is a complete waste of time. I want my 2 mins back.

Actually, the poster of the poll went out of his way not to name it a mid-major top 25.

[b]Non-BCS Top 25[/b]

Last year, I did a “Mid-Major Top 25”, and I planned on doing the same thing this year. It was going to include all the teams outside the Big Six conferences. However, after all the controversy surrounding which teams are mid-majors and which ones aren’t, it made me re-think that idea. People in the Atlantic-10 and the Missouri Valley and the Mountain West don’t want to be included in a ranking of “mid-major” teams. Therefore, I decided to avoid any sort of backlash and just call it the “Non-BCS Top 25”. The easy way out? Sure. But there was no easy way to rank the Top 25 teams outside the Big Six conferences.

Not saying that really means anything, but he is right that the A-10, Conference USA, and the Mountain West are not mid-major conferences (and writers like Andy Katz and Mike DeCourcy are continually pointing that out). Not sure why he included the Missouri Valley in that group, since they don’t seem to mind the mid-major label and are annual participants in the ESPN Bracket Buster. I will agree that the A-10, C-USA, and MWC are not power conferences at this point and time, although the original C-USA certainly was for the last few years before realignment.

GO NINERS! GO A-10!

Mid-major, BCS, 1-5 bid league are used a lot in the recruiting circles. Of course they have to be explained to the recruits but the BCS schools love to use it against us. Oh, Charlotte is a mid-major, the A-10 is a one bid league, etc. It’s now known as getting BCS’ed, like what happened with the PG who went to OU recently.

That’s why it’s so important that the A-10 GETS STRONGER.

The other thing. The A-10 was just slightly behind C-USA in NCAA credits prior to us joining it. As Run would say. GO NINERS! GO A-10! We’re in it like it or not. We need to support it.

“Mid-major” is a subjective term… not officially defined. Until it is, if ever, this debate will continue forever.

Best way to dump that tag: win games against BCS opponents.

Memphis is a major team in a mid-major conference. That is the way I look at it. Frankly, after the first 3-4 teams in C-USA, it goes to mid-major very quickly.