Charlotte Magazine article on What Happened to UNCC (??) Basketball

Have been working a lot but has this been posted or anyone else seen this?

If Rose says this year is citical then why the extension from last year unless it is just smoke and mirrors for recruiting.

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/November-2009/Tipping-Point/

Not a bad article.

Who is this UNCC team they refer to? Aren’t they located in Durham?

i love how “lack of vision” wasn’t an excuse. Instead we pull the “ACC fault” card out of our butt’s again, as if teams like Xavier, Memphis, Dayton, Gonzaga, don’t have BCS schools in their area to compete against for recognition and talent, and as if Duke, Carolina, and Wake don’t recruit nationally.

This article simply shows how “reactionary” we are, and how proactive we haven’t been.

We’ll throw some comments about the “ACC” and the area’s love affair with them, we will get no coverage from our local paper, who instead prints raleigh area pieces on the ACC. Then when that paper is fledgling we’ll give money to the paper to put ads in their sport section.

[QUOTE=ninerID;438359]i love how “lack of vision” wasn’t an excuse. Instead we pull the “ACC fault” card out of our butt’s again, as if teams like Xavier, Memphis, Dayton, Gonzaga, don’t have BCS schools in their area to compete against for recognition and talent, and as if Duke, Carolina, and Wake don’t recruit nationally.

This article simply shows how “reactionary” we are, and how proactive we haven’t been.

We’ll throw some comments about the “ACC” and the area’s love affair with them, we will get no coverage from our local paper, who instead prints raleigh area pieces on the ACC. Then when that paper is fledgling we’ll give money to the paper to put ads in their sport section.[/QUOTE]
The dude who wrote that is the editor for the ACC. Can you tell? He’s also a big Davidson grad/fan that is well aware that we are not UNC hyphen Charlotte

[QUOTE=ninerID;438359]i love how “lack of vision” wasn’t an excuse. Instead we pull the “ACC fault” card out of our butt’s again, as if teams like Xavier, Memphis, Dayton, Gonzaga, don’t have BCS schools in their area to compete against for recognition and talent, and as if Duke, Carolina, and Wake don’t recruit nationally.

We’ll throw some comments about the “ACC” and the area’s love affair with them, we will get no coverage from our local paper, who instead prints raleigh area pieces on the ACC. Then when that paper is fledgling we’ll give money to the paper to put ads in their sport section.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think the ACC card should be the only one played, but with local and regional talent you are kidding yourself if you don’t think that’s the star in most players eyes. Would winning help us negate it some, yes, but we’d still lose players who would still think they are too good for an A10 school, and at times that can be sad.

Until we start spending the money that those 3 non-BCS schools spend, I don’t think we will be getting the type of classes that they are getting.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;438367]I don’t think the ACC card should be the only one played, but with local and regional talent you are kidding yourself if you don’t think that’s the star in most players eyes. Would winning help us negate it some, yes, but we’d still lose players who would still think they are too good for an A10 school, and at times that can be sad.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;438387]Until we start spending the money that those 3 non-BCS schools spend, I don’t think we will be getting the type of classes that they are getting.[/QUOTE]

we were one of the winningest teams in conference USA. In 2005 we were Top 20. Before then we were in and out of the NCAA Tourney for years.

The ACC has existed for quite a while. it isn’t the ACC’s fault that we didn’t start football in the 90’s (or sooner). It isn’t the ACC’s fault we had to fall into another conference. The 2005 recruiting class wasn’t the ACC’s fault. The constant in-out juco recruiting wasn’t the ACC’s fault.

Yeah it sucks, get over it. Xavier has Ohio State in state, and a Big East school in their city, they manage.

I am not saying that it isn’t a problem, but putting it at the top is what keeps this round-and-round mediocre expectations, [U]and keeps the people responsible off the hook.[/U]

[QUOTE=ninerID;438392]we were one of the winningest teams in conference USA. In 2005 we were Top 20. Before then we were in and out of the NCAA Tourney for years.

The ACC has existed for quite a while. it isn’t the ACC’s fault that we didn’t start football in the 90’s (or sooner). It isn’t the ACC’s fault we had to fall into another conference. The 2005 recruiting class wasn’t the ACC’s fault. The constant in-out juco recruiting wasn’t the ACC’s fault.

Yeah it sucks, get over it. Xavier has Ohio State in state, and a Big East school in their city, they manage.

I am not saying that it isn’t a problem, but putting it at the top is what keeps this round-and-round mediocre expectations, [U]and keeps the people responsible off the hook.[/U][/QUOTE]

I agree with most of it, but you made it seem as if the ACC’s hypnotic appeal to local and regional recruits isn’t an issue. I simply said it is, but not the only reason, and the reason it didn’t bother us for a number of years too badly was b/c we were winning, again, what I pointed out. The number one reason we’ve been crap lately is b/c we’ve played like crap. Although, by playing like crap it allows the ACC’s hypnotic appeal to become stronger over area recruits, b/c there is not equal opportunity locally.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;438354]Not a bad article.[/QUOTE]

I looked for a minute trying to find the next page / rest of the article. It just kind of died off.

[QUOTE=NinerAl;438404]I looked for a minute trying to find the next page / rest of the article. It just kind of died off.[/QUOTE]

Very true.

i thought it was just me, so i wasn’t going to say anything.
whew!!! relieved!

[QUOTE=Powerbait;438414]Very true.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. If that was the entire article, what was its point? To remind readers we aren’t part of the ACC?

[QUOTE=survivor45;438361]The dude who wrote that is the editor for the ACC. Can you tell? He’s also a big Davidson grad/fan that is well aware that we are not UNC hyphen Charlotte
.[/QUOTE]

sarcasm? or serious?

What a piece of crap!

The university didn’t start playing sports until 1970.
Say what?! Been playing sports since the school opened in 1946 and even had a football team back then!
UNC-Charlotte
I counted 9 of those f***ing hyphens! Would be nice if the so-called city magazine would get it right! Geez!
The Big East looked to Conference USA. “I quickly began lobbying,” Rose said.

The A-10 is an excellent basketball league, but it’s Northeast-centric…

Last time I checked, the Big East is a Northeast-centric league as well that, like the A-10, stretches into the Midwest, so what’s the point?!

Yep, still a piece of crap! :rolleyes: :fastgun:

[QUOTE=NinerAl;438404]I looked for a minute trying to find the next page / rest of the article. It just kind of died off.[/QUOTE]

yeah is this a two part article or do you have to find the rest in the magazine? It definitely is poor writing if it just ends like that.

This caught my eye:

Here’s something Lutz told reporters before that last game in the NCAAs, in March 2005, against North Carolina State, of the ACC: “We tend to find that our perception outside of the state is better than it is inside the state.”
True. It’s one thing for that to happen in other areas of the state, but there is no damn excuse for that happening in the Charlotte Metro Area.

Most people in this area are still not aware of most of our accomplishments.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;438367]I don’t think the ACC card should be the only one played, but with local and regional talent you are kidding yourself if you don’t think that’s the star in most players eyes. Would winning help us negate it some, yes, but we’d still lose players who would still think they are too good for an A10 school, and at times that can be sad.[/QUOTE]You don’t need ACC talent to have a decent year in the A-10.

[QUOTE=run49er;438424]What a piece of crap!

Say what?! Been playing sports since the school opened in 1946 and even had a football team back then!

I counted 9 of those f***ing hyphens! Would be nice if the so-called city magazine would get it right! Geez!

[B]Last time I checked, the Big East is a Northeast-centric league as well that, like the A-10, stretches into the Midwest, so what’s the point?![/B]

Yep, still a piece of crap! :rolleyes: :fastgun:

[/QUOTE]

Are u serious? Would you equate playing Duquesne and Fordham every year with playing UConn and Syracuse. Obviously, its about geography AND name recognition of opponents.

[QUOTE=919R;438484]Are u serious? Would you equate playing Duquesne and Fordham every year with playing UConn and Syracuse. Obviously, its about geography AND name recognition of opponents.[/QUOTE]

Name recognition is important, but let’s not be disingenuous and pick two of the least recognizable A10 programs for the comparison.