Charlotte Men's Soccer Coach Leaving?!?!?

We could lose current players and recruits… add in a new coach/style and I seriously doubt we will be ok next year. But you just never know.[/quote]

Tart did well with the players he inherited…

We could lose current players and recruits… add in a new coach/style and I seriously doubt we will be ok next year. But you just never know.[/quote]

The players seem to be rallying behind associate head coach Kevin Langan. If we hire him, I don’t think we need to worry about losing players.

Tart did well with the players he inherited…[/quote]

John is a great guy, but let’s be honest. The only time that he did well was with the players that he inherited.

With soccer transfers not having to sit out a year, it makes transferring much more appealing in this sport. I still find it hard to believe that they have different transfer rules for different sports.

Wonder who they’re going to replace him with. At least we know who the players want. :o

Reaction to Gunn leaving

Good luck coach and thanks for what you did for our University. Once again, another stepping stone. :frowning:

John is a great guy, but let’s be honest. The only time that he did well was with the players that he inherited.[/quote]

Exactly. But that’s why I picked that precise example as to why I don’t think next year will be disastrous.

I’m glad he’s gone, proves he wasn’t commited to this team or school.

People say we should be respectful but I’ve heard he is a dick to his players and that’s why some of them left the team last year. Have fun at Stanford, they have soccer??

He could have gone to Clemson 2 yrs ago and didn’t. We are not a soccer powerhouse. Gunn rebuilt this program. I thought it might happen but was hoping for another year or two.

He also played in Cali and can’t blame him for going to Stanford.

[quote=“get_gold78, post:28, topic:26076”]I’m glad he’s gone, proves he wasn’t commited to this team or school.

People say we should be respectful but I’ve heard he is a dick to his players and that’s why some of them left the team last year. Have fun at Stanford, they have soccer??[/quote]

Pretty pissed he’s gone. Dick or not, we had a shot at the National title with him as coach. I don’t think anybody blames him for taking a job at one of the top universities in the nation…

[quote=“get_gold78, post:28, topic:26076”]I’m glad he’s gone, proves he wasn’t commited to this team or school.

People say we should be respectful but I’ve heard he is a dick to his players and that’s why some of them left the team last year. Have fun at Stanford, they have soccer??[/quote]Wow. Harsh much?

You can’t blame the guy for leaving. Better pay presumably. He has ties to the state of California. The Stanford area is one of the nicest in the nation. I would probably choose it over Charlotte in my favorite places. If we are only starting our soccer coaches at $65K as the O’Shit paper reported then this will continue to happen. Sure they made a counter off, but at that point it is too late. They should’ve secured a new contract within hours of returning from the college cup. Instead they sat on their thumbs and waited for him to get scooped up.

This coach gave everything he had (I presume considering how well we’ve done) to our program for the last 5 years. For you to say that he had a lack of commitment to the program is ridiculous. He is just trying to elevate his career like the rest of us. I would like to see how committed any of us would be if we worked for a mid size company and a larger company came calling with more money. You would hop that money train in a second.

[quote=“Dowless, post:32, topic:26076”]You can’t blame the guy for leaving. Better pay presumably. He has ties to the state of California. The Stanford area is one of the nicest in the nation. I would probably choose it over Charlotte in my favorite places. If we are only starting our soccer coaches at $65K as the O’s*** paper reported then this will continue to happen. Sure they made a counter off, but at that point it is too late. They should’ve secured a new contract within hours of returning from the college cup. Instead they sat on their thumbs and waited for him to get scooped up.

This coach gave everything he had (I presume considering how well we’ve done) to our program for the last 5 years. For you to say that he had a lack of commitment to the program is ridiculous. He is just trying to elevate his career like the rest of us. I would like to see how committed any of us would be if we worked for a mid size company and a larger company came calling with more money. You would hop that money train in a second.[/quote]

Great post!

The most important thing at the moment for Judy & the assistant coach is talking with the players & recruits & keeping as many as possible. The next coach inherits a GREAT team if kept intact. Remeber, UNC won the National Championship this year with a 1st year coach!

Gunn had turned down calls from Michigan and Kentucky after this seasons run. Stanford was just too much to turn away from.

I cant say I blame him. I thought he represented us well this season, and of course I wish he would have stayed. I think we really could have built something special here. That’s not to say we can’t still do that, but we did seem to have all the correct puzzle pieces in place this year. The players have all appeared rallied around our assistant, so who knows what next year will bring. No matter what happens, I’ll always be thankful to Jeremy and especially this group of players for this magical year, and I’m still excited for 2012. As others have previously said, Gunn had spent some time in Cali, and I think the Stanford area would have been a nice place to live, not to mention the financial gains he received.

All this being said, I wish him well until the point where we kick his arse in the 2012 College Cup!

Pshaw, dude couldn’t even win one game.

clt will talk to poochy’s uncle about this and be in touch.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/12/22/2867265/success-costs-49ers-a-coach.html

Boy, am I disappointed. Looks like the ‘boom, bust’ cycle at Charlotte is alive and well.

I’m sure Gunn knows what he’s getting into at Stanford, where I’m not sure soccer is all that big of a sport. I know they are BCS, and have big $$$, but could be a wasteland for soccer. Hope his move goes better than Lipsitz move to Kentucky - which I think has been a struggle. Palo Alto is a long way from the farming community of Bakersfield - Hope Stanford is paying for Gunn’s house. I hope that our Admin was able to at least offer Gunn a doubling of his salary.

Sometime’s I’m not so sure going to big time football schools is the best for soccer.

Best of luck Coach Gunn! Thank you for all you did here at Charlotte!