Charlotte to Hire Michigan associate Head Coach Biff Poggi as new Head Football Coach

https://amp.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/charlotte-49ers/article268901377.html

Fowlerā€™s article

ā€œCincinnati did it, why cant weā€, this is VISION, this is what we lacked as an overall athletic program in past years, we have always had athletic leadership ( Rose/Dubois ) that saw us as the little brother to other more established regional institutions, and was willing to adhere to the stay in our lane type of mentality, hopefully with the Hill/Gaber/Poggi combination, we establish the foundation for our athletic program that allows us to meet our potential and compete in the highest levels of college athletics

8 Likes

Welp, Mr Fowler, with the transfer portal we will know sooner rather than later if Charlotte can compete to get the best players. I donā€™t think you, sir, will be happy with the results. You may be forced to pay attention a little further away from beloved Chapel Hill and wonā€™t that be a pisser for you. Also, fuck you.

12 Likes

Playing with a chip in our shoulder was something our teams always did. The entire AD has missed that us against the world mentality. We need it back.

6 Likes

Just finished watching the presser with my pops Stan the Man Olson who is up here visiting us. Iā€™m super impressed and really excited. My dad who has seen a million coaches come and go says this guy seems like the real deal and a big time winner. It will be a long off season because Iā€™m so pumped for next season to start

16 Likes

Chi. Hope your ā€œPopsā€ is doing well. Lot of great memories reading and listening to him thru the years. Unfortunately the business has changed and the younger generations do not get to become familiar with a voice of your sport and follow and listen to him like family for many years. Stan the Man!!!

8 Likes

Just watched the Press conference;

Some positives: liked the Chancellor, she did really well and the outdoor venue was nice as well. New coach is a good speaker and had a good presence on stage.

Some other observations:

Not sure i want to hear the AD building up Baltimore HS football at this stage of where we areā€¦.
Ughhh not a good look, maybe Texas or Georgia HS football, but even that is a stretch in terms of what we expect from that position at this stage of the game.

As we are moving up in Football competition, and the AD is building up HS football in Baltimore, very oddšŸ˜³ā€¦ he must see the problem with this hire, given his position.

New Coach, so what is exactly an NFL offense? They said he ran the wildcat as a HS coach on another board. Not a very humble guy, did anyone else notice that?ā€¦.doesnā€™t seem to know the AAC either with his NFL defense and offense comments and his description about the run and then throwing over peoples head. Who is running an NFL offense & defense in the AAC?ā€¦.Has he watched an AAC game? Does he think he can coach & compete with the Coaches in that league and if so what gives him that confidence?

I think the answer to all your questions is yes!

Did seem to have a lot of confidence but would you want anything else??

Not sure how this will turn out but I am pumped right now. Portal and recruiting will tell the tale.

7 Likes

Reading Fowlerā€™s articles are as interesting as listening to finger nails scratching across a blackboard.

3 Likes

That at least elicits an emotion.

1 Like

I could not be more impressed with our new coach. Not the traditional hire but the ā€œperfectā€ hire for where we are and want to go ā€œtogether.ā€ I see him as loyal. He chose us over other options. We are extremely blessed and fortunate to get this guy. I promise you, he is a game changer for our university in so many ways.

Great job Mike Hill and Chancellor Gabber! Letā€™s please give him the backing and support he needs. I loved his comment that he is here to do what Mike and the Chancellor ask him to do. This is big from a guy that doesnā€™t have to do this, but wants to do this. This guy has vision!

6 Likes

My thoughts are the same thing I said on the radio. I am on board until I am not. I still donā€™t know if this guy can really coach. Still donā€™t know if he can really recruit when it isnā€™t his former kids or when it isnā€™t basically just buying talent. With that said I love his vision, more old school approach to the game but blended with the caring about kids. He clearly had something to do with Michigan success and he is willing to put in the time and work and has seen success in everything he has done. I also like he is friends with people with money. Running base pro style offense and defense I also like. His entire MO works for me.

I donā€™t think he will be happy with 6/7 win season and lower bowl high floor/low ceiling which is kinda of what most of us were hoping for with this hire. Another big swing, but could have pretty big rewards, but comes again with a big risk. Folks can complain about Mike in some regards but not with not having some guts swing big.

6 Likes

I just have a quick question. Do we want him copying the other teams or running our team his way? His way seems to have served him well so far. My personal opinion is they can run whatever they want to run in the AAC and we will run what we want to, as long as, we are imposing our will on them I donā€™t care what they do.

1 Like

The Observer is still in business?

3 Likes

Yeah the business of putting copious amounts of ads on paper with little to no news or sports (especially Niner sports) and selling them to schumcks like me

1 Like

Every bit of his coverage comes off as condescending, ā€œI am above this. I wish my editor would give me something worthy of meā€, and just going through the motions.

What grates my nerves about it is that Tom Sorenson, who was known to enjoy provoking people, at least put himself in our shoes and showed some genuine interest when we voted to get football. Loved his ā€œdonā€™t let other people tell you who you can / should beā€ line (paraphrasing). That is what separates a good writer from a paycheck one.

7 Likes

If Fowler was any good he wouldnā€™t be working for the observer for minimal pay.

6 Likes

Ashley Mahoney covers us better than anyone.

5 Likes

I didnā€™t get to watch the entire thing but what I was impressed with was he stated a specific goal and thatā€™s to win the AAC and win it repeatedly.

That is what our goal should always be. To win our conference.

I like his positivity and confidence. I think a lot of people will be very comfortable being led by this guy.

I am sending all positive thoughts and energy to Coach Poggi and our team.

Hopefully I can scratch up an additional donation before end of year!

Or should I hold it for this collective heā€™s talking about???

4 Likes

Iā€™m generally quick to say that the Observer is not the best at covering the Niners. But I donā€™t have much of an issue with Fowlerā€™s article this time. Poggiā€™s background is part of the story. Ashley Mahoney has it in her piece too. I do think there could have been other ways to mention the attendance figures. But sometimes the truth just hurts.

1 Like