Charlotte v Clemson - POSTGAME

and Phil Jonesā€¦major props manā€¦this guy is paying attention in class

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;363705]

If we even shot 50% from the FT line. FIFTY ****ING PERCENT!!!.. we winā€¦[/QUOTE]

We shot 3-11 in the second half.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;363705]

Ian did take two bad threes. [/QUOTE]

Butter, I meant Lamont Mack, took the worst three of the night

no
Coley

so what....thats only because we gamble like mofos on D.

I am purely speaking of when we are on offense. Watch the tape, count how many dumbass-ultra stupid passes we make.

I think it was Coleman, but damn he gambled hard one time, and it was a wide open lane. Anjuan bit too much for my liking on Rivers at the end there and got beaten to the hole. In a situation like that, Iā€™d rather you make him shoot the jumper than goto the hole, dependent upon the group the other team has in (if there are good finishers in, have him shoot the jumper). I knwo he is a good jump shooter, but 15 ft is tougher than 1 ft.

We shot 3-11 in the second half.

The contested one from the topā€¦ Sometimes I wish I could strangle people.

I donā€™t know if you can put this on Bobby, Iā€™d like to think not, but our players need better self control. I want you to nut up and hit the big shot, but realize that if you are struggling from deep, taking it to the rack improves %, gives you a shot to get fouled, but also allows rebounders a chance, as a 3 has a high probability of ending in a long rebound.

Another game, another heartbreaking loss. 3 losses by a total of 5 points. Ouch.

Nice to see Halton alive again.

Ian was on fireā€¦ I love his passion and energy. Even when he is on the bench he is getting people fired up.

I thought Wilderness played pretty well and needed more minutes in the first half despite picking up 2 fouls. But how on earth can he miss 4 consecutive free throws when we are down by 2 with under 4 to play? Hell, we only needed 1 of those 4 to send it to OT.

Lamont Mack. What is going on with this guy? I thought he was supposed to be our leader and out best player. So far he is neither. If he would have played the first 4 games like he played most of last year, we would be 4-0.

one thing i forgot to mention. if rashad coleman was healthy, weā€™d be 4-0. look at the numbers. of course, we might also be 4-0 if coach would tell a player with a sprained shooting wrist to take it to the rim or pass it instead of to keep trying 3sā€¦

Lamont Mack is NOT a leader.. What a Joke! Reminding me ALOT of DA! F'n ball hog! Pass the damn ball will you????

EXACTLY what I thought during this game. Mack and DA are great complements, but Iā€™m afraid he should not be the focal point.

On the flip side, Jones is starting to put it together. Wow. He will be seriously nasty next yr. And Barnett shows alot of hustle. He is out of position sometimes, but he seems smart on the floor.

Not writing off this season as a complete loss yet (at least all of the games have been close), but Jones, Spears, Wilderness, Bowden, Harris with Coleman, Dewhurst, and Barnett coming of the bench? Wowā€¦

Not writing off this season as a complete loss yet (at least all of the games have been close), but Jones, Spears, Wilderness, Bowden, Harris with Coleman, Dewhurst, and Barnett coming of the bench? Wow...

I gotta sayā€¦ Iā€™m getting tired of waiting till next year.

Weā€™ll have the two freshman and possibly a third as well.

I gotta say... I'm getting tired of waiting till next year.

Weā€™ll have the two freshman and possibly a third as well.

I hear ya. Weā€™re kind of like the great white hype.

Dijuan had a blockā€¦ :lmao: That kid should be crying all the way home despite the W.

We are FIVE POINTS away from being [B][SIZE=4][COLOR=green]0[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]-0 this season.
fixed

Different kind of players but I agree with the Mack to DA comparison. Just way too many forced shots. Seems like he wants to be the go-to guy a little too much and at times, he needs to pass or be more patient.

I really love Phil. Itā€™s a shame we canā€™t get the ball to him more than we do. Itā€™s rare you have a big man that can shoot free throws that well but we need to do a better job at getting him to the line. I was really hoping we could feed it to him at the end of the game, in hopes of him drawing a foul but Mack tried to be the hero.

Wilderness hurt us bad on the line but there were so many plays in the 2nd half where we gave up the opportunity to score. There were around 4 possessions in a row at one point where Clemson didnā€™t score and we couldnā€™t capitalize on the other end. And as metro mentioned, we made some really bad/dangerous passes that lead to turnovers or disruptions in our sets.

The crowd was great but it definitely wasnā€™t a sell out. They may have sold all of the tickets but there were plenty empty seats. The students came out in droves though and did a great job.

I really fear this long road trip. This tournament has some very good teams in it and weā€™ll need to play much better to come out of there at .500. The next few weeks on the road will make or break this season. Unfortunately, from what Iā€™ve seen thus far, Iā€™m having a hard time seeing us finish at .500 for the season, let alone after this tournament. Itā€™s a shame because this team has a ton of heart but Iā€™m not sure their talent compliments it enough.

I am very proud of our guys despite the loss. I think we handled their press well which led to a lot of Ianā€™s 3ā€™s. Our concerns coming into this game was rebounding and perimeter D. We outrebounded a very big and physical team. Our perimeter defense was OK, not great, but Oglesby had a tough time getting anything going. Free throws killed us of course and a couple of forced shots didnt help. This was a very entertaining game and I hope everyone continues to support the Niners. Halton was rocking tonight and I just hope this was not a fluke because we were playing a team in the ACCā€¦

Hereā€™s how Iā€™ll put it:

PG, when Dew is playing point we play like crap. Itā€™s a constant battle. Thatā€™s not Dewā€™s fault though, heā€™s not a PG, when heā€™s in the game at SF or SG he makes plays.

SG, Ian played well tonight, but Coleman is ultimately a better player overall, but Ian needs to play more right now, because we have no REAL threats from outside if Coleman is at the 2G. You saw how Clemson just layed off him tonight, and he didnā€™t knock down a single 3.

SF, Anjuan can get to the whole and defend, but he has zero jumpshot still and canā€™t hit FTs. Dew on the other hand can hit FTs, drive, but he isnā€™t as good as a defender as Anjuan is and not as quick.

PF, Mack is trying to be a basketball God or something. He thinks the fate of the team rests with him. He gets into this mode where he must do something himself to ā€œsaveā€ the team. This usually results in chucking up a 3.

Also, his defense has been garbage, ABSOLUTE garbage, there were several times he just left his man tonight or didnā€™t hustle back and left his man open.

C Phil Jones has been doing a good job, he is progressing and is fun to watch. He does need to play a little more assertive still, I donā€™t want to see jumpers if the lane is open. Also, grab a rebound with 2 hands Phil! Canā€™t hold on to the ball.

C Charlie Coley has no jump shot, but heā€™s definitely exciting to watch. The 3 he threw up because Clemson gave it to him was unnecessary considering the situation. Also canā€™t hold on to the ball a lot like Phil, but not his hands are not quite as bad as Philā€™s.

C Charlie Coley has no jump shot, but he's definitely exciting to watch. The 3 he threw up because Clemson gave it to him was unnecessary considering the situation. Also can't hold on to the ball a lot like Phil, but not his hands are not quite as bad as Phil's.
I love Coley, but he has never made a 3 in regulation play since he's been at Charlotte. He should never, never attempt a 3.

[QUOTE=contemptor;363735]I love Coley, but he has never made a 3 in regulation play since heā€™s been at Charlotte. He should never, never attempt a 3.[/QUOTE]

DOBA.

the thought should never even cross his mind. he is a ****terrible shooter. the end.

Does anyone else think the substitution patterns are a little strange? For the second game in a row, Wilderness disappeared to the bench for a long stretch in the first half, and heā€™s been our most valuable player early in the season. What gives?

I think one of the biggest killers was letting mack keep shooting and not running more plays for Ian.
Agreed. That and what had to be less thn 50% free throw shooting.

[QUOTE=49er Domination;363738]Does anyone else think the substitution patterns are a little strange? For the second game in a row, Wilderness disappeared to the bench for a long stretch in the first half, and heā€™s been our most valuable player early in the season. What gives?[/QUOTE]
Anjuan had 2 early fouls. They benched him because he is important. They wanted him in the 2nd half.

Here's how I'll put it:

SG, Ian played well tonight, but Coleman is ultimately a better player overall, but Ian needs to play more right now, because we have no REAL threats from outside if Coleman is at the 2G. You saw how Clemson just layed off him tonight, and he didnā€™t knock down a single 3.

Ian is very average but what in the hell do you see in Coleman other than athleticism and a pretty good attitude??

He was 0-3 from 3pt range tonight (2 didnā€™t even hit rim), 0-3 from the FT line with 0 assists and 3 turnovers.

ON THE YEARā€¦he is 2-16 from 3pt range and 0-3 from the FT line!!!

WTF!!!