Charlotte vs. #1 UNC-Chapel Hill baseball today

Hi Guys,

I will be at the Chapel Hill vs. Charlotte baseball game today. UNC-Chapel Hill is ranked #1 in the nation and it will be a beautiful day. I will root for my Niners! Anyone else going let me know, we can try to get a little Niner section going. I will be wearing a Charlotte green baseball tee and baseball hat.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™ll be there. UNCW took them down last night, but UNCW is also phenomenal this year.

This one doesnā€™t look to promising.

Congrats to our sister school UNC-Wilmington then. Itā€™s their first time in history beating a #1 opponent - they have a little marketing video up:

http://www.uncwsports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19800&SPID=11329&SPSID=92919

Canā€™t make it. BTW when did CH become #1 in the country? I definitely need to pay more attention to college baseball.

Been there for weeks. 39-3 record now. :frowning:

Theyā€™ve been #1 since the very first preseason poll. If they are ever going to do it, it will be this year with the pitching depth they have.

Whenā€™s the return game?

Maybe next year now that Lew is gone.

Do yā€™all have a live feed, or just the computerized updates?

LISTEN HERE:

http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/charlotte.portal#

Thanks for all who came out - it was a beautiful night. I would say 20 niners in attendance, including Uh-Huh guy.

We played well but dropped two innings with bad errors resulting in 3 & 4 runs each. We hit almost all UNCā€™s pitches as fly ball catches, very annoying.

Chapel Hill hit a grand slam on us, that hurt but was fun to see a #1 grand slam.

Go niners!

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/04/24/2847945/unc-wins-40th-game-of-season.html

I was out there. Great night, bad result. I still enjoy college baseball over the Durham Bulls because so many people actually watch the game. I could overhear conversations about the pitchers arm angle at release and other finer details.

My fianceeā€™s a UNC-CH grad and we actually got half-season ticket packages for this year at Boshamer, so Iā€™ve seen them several times this year. They might be the best college baseball team Iā€™ve seen in person. Everybody in the lineup from 1-9 can hit for power, they get on base almost every inning, their top four hitters are practically impossible to get out, and their weekend pitching is lights out. They used a very seldom-seen reliever against us in the 9th last night and he hit 97 on the radar gun.

Iā€™ve only seen us play twice this year in person (@Duke and last night, although Iā€™ve seen some games online), and Iā€™m pretty flabbergasted by how untalented we are as a team. We have some good pitching, but our offense is pretty anemic and donā€™t get me STARTED on our baserunning. Itā€™s sad to say, but we sort of look like an Atlantic 10 program. I know that the next recruiting class is VERY good, which is a relief, because this isnā€™t going to cut it in C-USA.

[quote=ā€œUNCCTF, post:14, topic:27747ā€]My fianceeā€™s a UNC-CH grad and we actually got half-season ticket packages for this year at Boshamer, so Iā€™ve seen them several times this year. They might be the best college baseball team Iā€™ve seen in person. Everybody in the lineup from 1-9 can hit for power, they get on base almost every inning, their top four hitters are practically impossible to get out, and their weekend pitching is lights out. They used a very seldom-seen reliever against us in the 9th last night and he hit 97 on the radar gun.

Iā€™ve only seen us play twice this year in person (@Duke and last night, although Iā€™ve seen some games online), and Iā€™m pretty flabbergasted by how untalented we are as a team. We have some good pitching, but our offense is pretty anemic and donā€™t get me STARTED on our baserunning. Itā€™s sad to say, but we sort of look like an Atlantic 10 program. I know that the next recruiting class is VERY good, which is a relief, because this isnā€™t going to cut it in C-USA.[/quote] Maybe our recruiting will pick up now that we are going into a vastly better conference for baseball. We do look like an A10 team now.

I see no relief with next yearā€™s class. At least not yet. They are still on paper. Until they produce results on the field in niner green they are an unknown commodity.

Anybody who has thought this is going to cut it in C-USA has been living in a fantasy world.

As Iā€™ve stated before, Hibbs needs at least 2 full recruiting classes before we can start to judge his teams ability to compete in C-USA.

The nice thing about next year is we will have that recruiting class coming in, but we will also have Matt Creech and Corbin Shive in the lineup again as well.

I see no relief with next yearā€™s class. At least not yet. They are still on paper. Until they produce results on the field in niner green they are an unknown commodity.

Anybody who has thought this is going to cut it in C-USA has been living in a fantasy world.

As Iā€™ve stated before, Hibbs needs at least 2 full recruiting classes before we can start to judge his teams ability to compete in C-USA.[/quote] You mean next years class hasnā€™t proven anything yet because they havenā€™t played here yet? Do tell! I dunno, but I guess the reason he said this team wouldnā€™t be competitive in CUSA was because thatā€™s what he thinks. I have heard no one say anything contrary to that.

Very true. Shive was probably our best returning power hitter from last year. It will be really nice to have him back. He also wants to contribute on the mound as well.

Creech will fill in nicely at SS next year.

I just found saying this team wouldnā€™t be competitive in C-USA to be rather stating the obviousā€¦but, whatever.