Charlotte's Rival

Hey there Niner fans, I was checking out you schedule and noticed your only playing GW once this year. Since they’re the second closest school to you, it seems to me like Charlotte/GWU has then potential to turn into a good rivalry, and should be home and home annually. Who do you guys think is your biggest A10 rival? GWU, Xavier?

[QUOTE=UMass13;257971]Hey there Niner fans, I was checking out you schedule and noticed your only playing GW once this year. Since they’re the second closest school to you, it seems to me like Charlotte/GWU has then potential to turn into a good rivalry, and should be home and home annually. Who do you guys think is your biggest A10 rival? GWU, Xavier?[/QUOTE]

GW because we haven’t been able to beat them at all since before 2003. i think they have a 5 game winning streak against us.

I would say GW just because of the types of games we’ve had with them. Doesn’t compare with former rivals though and probably never will. Hard to develop good rivalries when you keep changing freaking conferences.

I dunno if were rivals, but 2 of those losses were painful…

Yeah, it’s hard to pick a rival for us. We really just get beat by anybody worth playing against. Did we even beat Davidson last year? The year before?

We beat Davidson a year ago in Halton. It might have been an overtime game but we did beat them. In some point, I agree GW is our rival but isn’t a rivalry defined by almost by the two teams swapping wins every year.

Let’s choose a Rival now. I vote for UCLA. No, wait. I vote for Elon instead.

Richmond is about an hour and a half closer than GW.

ELON!? You had it right with UCLA!

We hate each other so much we won’t play each other!

Maybe Danny Fortson could coach an A10 team and we could take ice target practice.

[QUOTE=metro;258017]Maybe Danny Fortson could coach an A10 team and we could take ice target practice.[/QUOTE]

LOL. I hope he hires Ruben Patterson as an assistant. No fun if you can’t bean Patterson w a couple of cubes too.

Side-note; the NBA draft was in Charlotte that year (I went) and Fortson was the only 1st round draft pic to not show at the draft. I always wondered if he was scared to come back to Charlotte. Too bad nobody in the city would have known or cared to boo him. :sad:

[QUOTE=Gill2003;257992]I dunno if were rivals, but 2 of those losses were painful…[/QUOTE]
I agree. Given some of the games the past two years, they most closely qualify as our rival in conference.

Yeah, it's hard to pick a rival for us. We really just get beat by anybody worth playing against. Did we even beat Davidson last year? The year before?

i swear idk why some of you act like we’re NOT 25-10 against Davidson. the only reason they’re our rival is because when someone repedeatly beats the crap out of you, you get mad at them. in our case, GW is getting there quickly. the Davidson loss hurt last year, a lot. but not as much as 25 losses.

[QUOTE=metro;258017]Maybe Danny Fortson could coach an A10 team and we could take ice target practice.[/QUOTE]

Maybe Georgia, but i think Diego would have to leave the wife at home because the Georgia mascot would think he found his long lost mommy…

Sup, metro?

[QUOTE=UCTOM;258129]Maybe Georgia, but i think Diego would have to leave the wife at home because the Georgia mascot would think he found his long lost mommy…
[/QUOTE]

Ah, those were the days.

I still don’t understand the reason for us not playing Cinci on and off every year during the OOC. Home one year, away the next. Their crowd always got up for us, we always got up for them. Some of those Charlotte vs. Cinci games were some of the most heated games I’ve ever been too (pure hatred between the two). ****, one time, Thuggy Bizzle tried to get into the stands to fight a few of the students. Who didn’t keep that going? Was it them not wanting to play us bc they’re BCS now? ****, we both suck now, so they would still be good games. You wanna put butts in the seats, get Cinci in here. I don’t care how bad they suck now, name one team that the whole Charlotte student base hates more.

Those were some fun games to watch. I wish UC would have continued the series with Charlotte instead of UAB. I think this is the last year we have to play UAB and Memphis under our CUSA agreement.

UC was down last year, but they will be much better this year and Mick has some awesome recruits coming in next year, so we will be back as top 20 in the next year or so.

metro, you ignoring me? Sup dude…

Cincy games today wouldn’t be quite the same though. Sure, the fans would get excited, but with us sucking and Huggins gone I don’t think the atmosphere would be quite as electric. Having said all that, it would still kick ass over anything we have going in the A10.

[QUOTE=Submarley734;258211]I still don’t understand the reason for us not playing Cinci on and off every year during the OOC. Home one year, away the next.[/QUOTE]
That was primarily Cinci’s doings.

If I recall, Cincy had to play games against CUSA teams for the first two years out of the league.

Then Bob Huggins was shown the door.