Chuck South pregame

Char. South (4-0) beat Citadel (0-3) at home 20-18.

This was a rivalry game at Charleston Southern so not sure how it stacks up.

Citadel has played the #1 team in FBS and the #7 team in FCS; while Chuck South had played two lower division schools and Campbell.

I think we play better against Chuck South, a team a lot better than Elon, but fall short at the end. Niners lose, 34-27.

We will get a small taste of what a C-USA QB looks like this week. CSU’s QB, Austin Brown is a transfer from UAB. He started 7 games last year for UAB, and made all C-USA Freshman team in his Freshman year.

Nice preview from a Citadel fan:

[url=http://thesportsarsenal.com/2014/09/18/2014-football-game-3-the-citadel-vs-charleston-southern/]http://thesportsarsenal.com/2014/09/18/2014-football-game-3-the-citadel-vs-charleston-southern/[/url]

Charleston Southern’s starting quarterback at the end of last season was Daniel Croghan, who started the final six games of the season for the Buccaneers after Malcolm Dixon was injured. Croghan was 5-1 as a starter, including wins over Charlotte and Coastal Carolina.

This year, Croghan is the backup quarterback, with UAB transfer Austin Brown taking over as Charleston Southern’s top signal-caller. Brown started fifteen games over two seasons with the Blazers, including a win over Tulane his freshmen year in which he threw for 409 yards.

Brown played the first three quarters for the Buccaneers in their season-opening romp over Point (final score: 61-9). He went the distance in CSU’s 16-10 victory against Newberry, and played all but three series in Charleston Southern’s 34-10 win versus Campbell.

In the game against the Camels, Croghan played the third series of the first half, and the sixth series of the second half.

For the season, Brown is completing 60% of his passes, averaging 10.9 yards per attempt, and has thrown six touchdown passes against one interception. Brown can also run the ball (a necessity for a QB in Jamey Chadwell’s spread option offense). He is averaging 5.5 yards per carry, and had a 50-yard run against Campbell.

Christian Reyes returns as the primary running back for the Buccaneers. Reyes had 92 yards in last season’s game at Johnson Hagood Stadium, probably more than any other native of Rogue River, Oregon has ever had against the Bulldogs.

Ben Robinson is the “change of pace” back for CSU. While Reyes is a fairly big running back (218 lbs.), Robinson is 5’7″, 175 lbs.

They run behind an offensive line with a good deal of experience, led by right guard Clayton Truitt. CSU also returns last year’s starters at center and both tackle spots.

Charleston Southern has experience at slot receiver with Alex Cruz and Nathan Perera, the latter having been injured for most of the last two years. Also returning: 6’8″ tight end Nathan Prater, who already has two touchdown receptions this season.

The other wideouts are less experienced, but do have big-play potential (Jared Scotland has three receptions for 20+ yards, including a 52-yard TD against Newberry).

CSU normally plays a 3-4 base defense, but is liable to change things up against The Citadel’s triple option attack, as do many other defenses. Last year CSU used multiple fronts throughout the game against the Bulldogs.

The Buccaneers have experience and depth along the defensive line. Notable performers include end Dylan Black and noseguard James Smith (who is listed as a co-starter on the depth chart with Isaac Lowrance, the latter having started the first three games of the season).

The linebacking corps attempts to confuse its opponents by featuring linebackers Zac Johnston (the middle ‘backer, #25) and Zach Johnson (the “spur”, #22). I bet the sports information staff at CSU can’t wait until those guys exhaust their eligibility.

Zach Johnson is backed up by freshman Bobby Ruff, whose father Brian is arguably the greatest football player in The Citadel’s long gridiron history.

Weakside linebacker Aaron Brown had a very good game against the Bulldogs last season. He currently leads the Buccaneers in tackles through three games, with twenty.

The “bandit”, Gabe Middlebrook, went to West Ashley High School, where he was All-Region in tennis. There are not a lot of Division I starting linebackers who can claim to have been All-Region in high school tennis.

The secondary features veteran free safety Demaris Freeman, a redshirt senior. Freeman leads a group that in general is not as experienced as the other units for the Buccaneers. Starting strong safety Davion Anderson is a freshman.

Charleston Southern returns its punter from last season, Truett Burns, who did a good job last season placing kicks inside the 20. So far this season, four of his thirteen punts have been downed inside the 20, though his average yards per punt (31.9) needs to improve.

Placekicking appears to still be a work in progress for the Buccaneers, with David Kennedy now designated on the depth chart as the starting placekicker, and Bryan Jordan handling kickoffs for CSU. Both are freshmen who went to Summerville High School (though Jordan turns 22 years old in December).

Long snapper Joseph Smith is a native of Easley, but he actually started his collegiate career at Delta State, where his coach was Jamey Chadwell. When the coach took the Charleston Southern job, Smith returned to his home state to continue his football career with Chadwell.

I hope he isn’t good at 5-7 yard throws… otherwise we are screwed!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

We need to get better at having these little 5 yard crossing routes over the middle with our receivers. Didn’t seem like Mullens made any adjustments like this to keep the opponents LB’s from immediately dropping back into coverage on our intermediate level routes, and were always in position to intercept these passes.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/polls/fcs

The Bucs come into The Rich ranked #25 in the FCS Coaches Poll.

Not sure how you get ranked from beating Newberry, Pointe, Campbell and Citadel. They must base it off the Massey formula and roll in your previous season.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:6, topic:29036”]http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/polls/fcs

The Bucs come into The Rich ranked #25 in the FCS Coaches Poll.

Not sure how you get ranked from beating Newberry, Pointe, Campbell and Citadel. They must base it off the Massey formula and roll in your previous season.[/quote]

…that and the probable win they will get Saturday. :frowning:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/09/23/5195281/charleston-southern-bracing-for.html#.VCIoRBaLWwQ

I had kind of forgotten how that game played out. We were in it for three quarters, despite giving up an insane amount of rushing yards. Mistakes allowed them to put points on us in the fourth. With our improved run defense, I think we have a shot at making this a close game.

Also, the last time we played the #25 ranked team at home, we (the few of us that were there) witnessed one of the greatest athletic events in school history.

Should be great crowd and excellent weather. All reserved tickets have been sold, along with more than 900 GA tickets. Let’s hope our students do their part.

Just an FYI… this is also Octoberfest weekend… i have a bad feeling this will adversely affect turnout…

That’s pretty strong having 900 GA tickets sold already. Can’t wait and yes, 80 degrees is supposed to be the high so it will be perfect football weather :slight_smile:

Opening Line via 5 Dimes: Charlotte (pk) (-120) vs Charleston Southern
and for the people that don’t know what a “pick em” is…A Pick (or PK) is a type of straight bet. This means that the teams are even. There is not a favorite and an underdog. You are betting on the team winning the game or event.

I had kind of forgotten how that game played out. We were in it for three quarters, despite giving up an insane amount of rushing yards. Mistakes allowed them to put points on us in the fourth. With our improved run defense, I think we have a shot at making this a close game.

Also, the last time we played the #25 ranked team at home, we (the few of us that were there) witnessed one of the greatest athletic events in school history.

Should be great crowd and excellent weather. All reserved tickets have been sold, along with more than 900 GA tickets. Let’s hope our students do their part.[/quote]

We were right in that game last year until the wheels fell off in the 4th. Down a TD going into the 4th, this is how our drives ended after that:

SAFETY
Punt
Missed FG
Interception
Fumble
Punt

I actually think we win Saturday.

I think we have a fair chance depending on what team shows up

Can we beat this team…yes.

Will we…?

We have the talent but they all have to click it on and sync it up.

[quote=“truninersfan, post:12, topic:29036”]Opening Line via 5 Dimes: Charlotte (pk) (-120) vs Charleston Southern
and for the people that don’t know what a “pick em” is…A Pick (or PK) is a type of straight bet. This means that the teams are even. There is not a favorite and an underdog. You are betting on the team winning the game or event.[/quote]
So if I bet a dollar on Charlotte and the win, then I get a dollar?

[quote=“Jimmyhat49er, post:17, topic:29036”][quote=“truninersfan, post:12, topic:29036”]Opening Line via 5 Dimes: Charlotte (pk) (-120) vs Charleston Southern
and for the people that don’t know what a “pick em” is…A Pick (or PK) is a type of straight bet. This means that the teams are even. There is not a favorite and an underdog. You are betting on the team winning the game or event.[/quote]
So if I bet a dollar on Charlotte and the win, then I get a dollar?[/quote]
No

[quote=“Jimmyhat49er, post:17, topic:29036”][quote=“truninersfan, post:12, topic:29036”]Opening Line via 5 Dimes: Charlotte (pk) (-120) vs Charleston Southern
So if I bet a dollar on Charlotte and the win, then I get a dollar?[/quote]

I believe since it is -120 you would have to bet $1.20 to make a dollar.

That’s interesting that the money line has us as more a favorite than does the straight line