Cincy trip thoughts

Some comments about my 26-hour trip to Cincinnati…

• What was going on in Cincinnati to cause every rental car agency to be out of vehicles? We were lucky in getting ours.
  • We got worried after discovering the Kingsgate Hotel was located across the street from the county coroner’s building.
  • People in the city actually knew there was a ball game last night, the car rental staff, the hotel staff, the bartenders, etc. And they were nice about it, they have 100s of “casual fans,” attending a game, the ones we would call the Wal-mart variety that don’t come to our games now.
  • Fran Frashilla of ESPN is a nice guy. He speaks highly of the 49ers (yesterday on the hotel lobby) and afterwards too.
  • The Hofbrauhaus brews fine beer and serves wonderful food.
  • gruehls really does use coke bottle glasses to read a menu.
  • 49erAlumnus and I found out that Big Boy beer mugs on the Kentrucky riverfront are can’t be raised with one hand.
  • Niner Nation rocked the Rathskeller.
  • Chisox drooled when meeting the legendary gruehls.
  • Fifth Third Arena sells beer, lots of it.
  • Some Bearcat fans have season tickets on the top row. They have homemade coat hangers to place their coats on the wall during the game. Fine engineering!
  • Cincinnati fans do appreciate the 49ers, maybe more than our own fans. Everyone I spoke to wants to see the series continue.
  • Doug Sweeny still hasn’t ditched his Niner wear yet.
  • Jena is a fine sportswriter, regardless of what she’ll tell you and interesting to talk with.
  • Meeting the “Big O,” Oscar Robertson, was the lighlight of my night. Well maybe not, Mrs. gruehls still remains my favorite person in Cincinnati. :wub:

There’s probably more to say that I can add later. gruehls was an excellent host and travel guide for the visit. He took care of all of us. THANK YOU VERY MUCH GREG!

Did gruehls give you a Huggy bobble to give to me?

I"m keeping it Norman.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Jan 20 2005, 04:26 PM [b] I"m keeping it Norman. [/b]
:o

:cuss:

Crybaby, check your PMs.

:clap:

always a pleasure to hook up with you HP. same for Nick. it was a blast hoisting those tankards of ale with both of you at the hofbrauhaus. and it was great to meet Al.

PB and NLNP, good to see you again. chisox and moss, pleasure to make your acquaintance. you guys keep yappin about those “krystals,” but up here, it’s “White Castle.”

glad you all got back safely. i sincerely hope your visits to cincinnati starting next year will be more rewarding.

norm, i saw your post on the other board. glad HP got you the huggydoll. and oh yeah, the Mrs. says, “hugs and kisses to HP.”

G-rules, thanks for the hospitality. Rathskellar was a blast! Hope the series will continue, so we can make this happen more often. Hope to see you and the Mrs in Halton.

Go Niners

Hi everyone! Longtime reader, first-time poster of this site. Go NINERS!

Wanted to make my first post on this thread because I was fortunate to hang with some of ninernation all the way to Cincy (in record time) and had a great time.

Thanks G-Ruehls for the hospitality - never knew Cincy fans had a red heart, always thought it was blue cold. :lol:

And thanks to powerbait for convincing the guys to let me tag along.

Oh, and HP - do I get a photo credit for taking the pic of you and Oscar Robertson? :smiley:

Look forward to posting more.

Sounds like an awsome trip HP. Glad you guys made it back all in one piece. :smiley:

[i]Originally posted by lishdaddy[/i]@Jan 20 2005, 11:37 PM [b] Hi everyone! Longtime reader, first-time poster of this site. Go NINERS!

Wanted to make my first post on this thread because I was fortunate to hang with some of ninernation all the way to Cincy (in record time) and had a great time.

Thanks G-Ruehls for the hospitality - never knew Cincy fans had a red heart, always thought it was blue cold. :lol:

And thanks to powerbait for convincing the guys to let me tag along.

Oh, and HP - do I get a photo credit for taking the pic of you and Oscar Robertson? :smiley:

Look forward to posting more. [/b]

We were glad to have you along, it was a really fun trip, minus that whole Niners getting their asses kicked thing… <_<
Seriously we were glad to have you along for the trip. That’s funny that you know my dad. lol I’ll tell him you know all kinds of crazy stories about him and see what he says. I thought you did a great job of putting up with our twisted humor and constant bashing of each other. You should post more often, NNN is the bestest site there ever did be!

[b]Oh, and HP - do I get a photo credit for taking the pic of you and Oscar Robertson? :D [/b]
lishdaddy, you were a lifesaver for being there to take the photo. You certainly can take the credit for being with us in the dungeon of the Shoe. :D
[b]and oh yeah, the Mrs. says, "hugs and kisses to HP."[/b]
gruehls, what more can I say? Admit it, she loves me! The Niner Nation of "secessionist bastards" will make a [b]Southern[/b] woman out of her yet. :P

Hope you can make that trip down to the other Queen City in a few weeks.

yummmm…white castle… :drool:

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Jan 21 2005, 08:08 AM [b] gruehls, what more can I say? Admit it, she loves me! The Niner Nation of "secessionist bastards" will make a [b]Southern[/b] woman out of her yet. :P

Hope you can make that trip down to the other Queen City in a few weeks.[/b]

that’s “traitorous secessionist bastards,” not to be confused with “verminous southern scum.”

we hope to get there HP.

Glad you clarified that gruehls. :lol:

For those of us who travelled up to Cincinnati, we should also thank this fine gentleman. Without him, there’d have been much less fun for sure. He is a former mayor of the city and he raised a damn good son, the legendary gruehls.

gruehls, the resemblance is certainly unmistakable.

I just wanted to say it was good meeting a few of you. I’m glad to hear the trip back was safe. When you guys come to town to beat Xavier, don’t be strangers.

We wont. I have to say, that was the calmest I’ve ever seen Fanatical.

HP, where were your seats at the 'SHOE? I ran into gruehls at halftime and i wanted to hook up with you guys before hand, but i just couldn’t do it. I would love to come down to see the Cats beat the Niners in Halton on the 5th with gruehls, but unfortunately, I will be in New Orleans for Mardi Gras… :drink: :drool: :drink:

We were up in 221, way up there, but still good seats. Don’t worry, I think each one of us that went are convinced that we want to come back up when the 49ers begin playing Xavier.

Lucky dog going to NO for Mardi Gras, but you’ll have a difficult time drinking more than we did with gruehls, I loved the Hofbrauhaus.

Hey bourgeois rage, it was good meeting you too. I hope all of us made a positive impression on you. Well, I guess all of us may have except for Powerbait. :rolleyes:

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Jan 21 2005, 02:25 PM [b] We were up in 221, way up there, but still good seats. Don't worry, I think each one of us that went are convinced that we want to come back up when the 49ers begin playing Xavier.

Lucky dog going to NO for Mardi Gras, but you’ll have a difficult time drinking more than we did with gruehls, I loved the Hofbrauhaus.

Hey bourgeois rage, it was good meeting you too. I hope all of us made a positive impression on you. Well, I guess all of us may have except for Powerbait. :rolleyes: [/b]

Hey Hey Hey now, BR and I are old friends. I just wish we had more time to hang out, I was pretty exhausted all day yesterday.

I also wish that Rathskeller wasn’t so anal about no one under 21 after 9 pm. How was Moss supposed to pick up girls like that?