Class of 2022 Early Signing Period (Dec 15th - Dec 17th)

Dunno if it is Covid related, but the class is heavily weighted towards in state players so far.

Gates is the only ink still missing. He is also the only DL commit.

We have moved up to 3rd in CUSA. Marshall has a loaded class - doubt we can catch them.

Overall this is a solid start to the class…lots of help for DB and OL, with some key WR and a starting caliber RB and TE

What I don’t see are significant upgrades or depth adds to the front 7 on D, especially the front 4. How much of that is due to coaching changes and / or scheme? If so, we need to resolve that situation ASAP.

We have to build that DL out. It is key to ever accomplishing anything. Feel like we can recruit enough solid LBs if we do that, but we have got to find some guys who can stop the run and get to the QB.

1 Like

Wonder if any OLs can move to DL since we have gone strong at OL the past two years.

Not sure we are really deep enough at OL for that. I would rather recruit that position, even if it’s all transfers at this point (and it may have to be given our coaching changes).

Until we can lineup 4-5 guys who are all of suitable size, strength and speed on the DL, I just don’t think this team will rise above fighting for a 6th win every season.

That likely involves a scheme change too. This has to be a priority, followed by better cover corners.

And with that, it looks like our early class has wrapped. And I can take a break!

I do like seeing us add some good size to the DL.

3 Likes

Motivate Lets Go GIF by The Titan Games

A lot of those freshman will redshirt to bulk up right? So do we have redshirts from last year that are ready to be play D1 or is that unlikely?

OLs usually take 2-3 years to get ready to play in most cases. OL is one of the hardest transitions from high school to college with the size, speed, and the learning of the blocking versus high school

Doh!

No DL.

We need to go sign like 4 DL and 4 CBs, probably all from the transfer portal.

Time to go shopping!

DL:

Edge:

CB:

No DL or QB?

No QB would probably indicate Chris is coming back next year

2 Likes

Would have really loved to bring Quinten Williams (MCHS) back home instead of letting him transfer to Marshall. We could definitely use his help.

1 Like

Is Foster coming back as well, or is he leaving? If he’s back, that’s a solid QB1 and QB2

I wonder if Foster was thinking he would be the starter next year. When he signed was the extra Covid year an option? And can he transfer and start immediately now?

Foster cannot transfer again without losing a year and sitting out. That is a positive about taking transfers is they cannot leave easy.

If I am a Coach in these new times. I limit my HS offers by 30% to 40% and concentrate on the transfer portal instead. After they transfer in less chance I lose them and more known quantities.

1 Like

Our QB prob needs to come from transfer portal. We need a #2 off a good school that’s not getting playing time.

There are 9,999 QBs in transfer portal right now. No way to have a decent back up anymore if this continues. Helps G5 but still no way to build future success.

I want it all and I want it right now!!!