Closure on CUSA record, champion and 2nd place

Now that we are exiting CUSA, I think we have a lot on the line this year in terms of which school ends up second too Cinci.

So the two stats are, since CUSA inception who has the second best league record (of course Cinci has the best), I think it is close between us and Memphis. Can someone help here.

The second stat is if you count regular season conference chamipionships plus tournament championships, who is 2nd to Cinci in this combined category, again I think it is close but we are probably 2nd in this category. Again Cinci dominates this one.

Not sure but I think we have a chance to finish 2nd in both categories to Cinci, before we exit CUSA.

C-USA league records: [NOTE: corrected]

Cincinnati 99-25
Memphis 78-46
Marquette 77-47
Charlotte 75-48
Louisville 72-52
UAB 62-62
Saint Louis 60-64
Southern Miss 55-69
DePaul 51-73
Tulane 51-73
South Florida 49-75
Houston 33-77
TCU 9-23
East Carolina 8-24

ConferenceUSA.com: 2004-05 Men’s Basketball Preview [NOTE: see page 5 - C-USA HISTORY]

Hey run, how does memphis and depaul have 140 games to everyone elses 124?

C-USA Regular Season and Tourney Champs:

1996: Cincinnati (both)
1997: Cincinnati (regular season), Marquette (tourney)
1998: Cincinnati (both)
1999: Cincinnati (regular season), Charlotte (tourney)
2000: Cincinnati (regular season) Saint Louis (tourney)
2001: Cincinnati/Southern Miss (regular season co-champs), Charlotte (tourney)
2002: Cincinnati (both)
2003: Marquette (regular season), Louisville (tourney)
2004: Charlotte/Cincinnati/DePaul/Memphis/UAB (regular season co-champs), Cincinnati (tourney)

Regular season championships:

Cincinnati = 8 (6 outright, 2 co-champs)
Charlotte = 1 (co-champs)
DePaul = 1 (co-champs)
Marquette = 1 (1 outright)
Memphis = 1 (co-champs)
Southern Miss = 1 (co-champs)
UAB = 1 (co-champs)

Tourney championships:

Cincinnati = 4
Charlotte = 2
Louisville = 1
Marquette = 1
Saint Louis = 1

[i]Originally posted by NinerPride[/i]@Oct 5 2004, 09:24 AM [b] Hey run, how does memphis and depaul have 140 games to everyone elses 124? [/b]
Haven't verified everything yet. Just pulling stuff off the C-USA website. We know how reliable they can be! :rolleyes:

Now that the numbers are correct (thanks NinerPride!), 2nd place all-time wins in C-USA is definitely possible for the Niners.

We already are 2nd if you combine conference tournament games w/ regular season ones.

Thanks, I thought it was close. So we can be un-disputed number 2 in the conference, if we can overtake Memphis on the win front. We locked up the championship stat.

This is a big year, and we seem to have the team to do it.

If I remember right we either ended up number 1 or number 2 in the metro

Does the A10 recognize a regular season champsionship and a tourney championship? It makes sense to have one conf champion and that comes from the tournament… even more so with unbalanced schedules.

[i]Originally posted by ApexNiner[/i]@Oct 5 2004, 10:21 AM [b] Does the A10 recognize a regular season champsionship and a tourney championship? It makes sense to have one conf champion and that comes from the tournament... even more so with unbalanced schedules. [/b]
Yes, they do.

Atlantic10.org: A-10 Regular Season/Tournament Champions

On last years standings on the A10 site… it does have a single A10 Champion with a “*” and it aint the undefeated St Joes squad. :wink:

A10 Mens BBall

[i]Originally posted by amnesiac[/i]@Oct 5 2004, 11:10 AM [b] So we can be un-disputed number 2 in the conference, if we can overtake Memphis on the win front. [/b]
We're going to gain 3 wins more than Memphis with only one head-to-head game? I love the optimistic thinking!

Memphis is carrying a 21-game home win streak. With home conference games against Southern Miss, Marquette, TCU, DePaul, East Carolina, Tulane, Louisville and Cincinnati, they’re easily 6-2 there.

The 49ers have to steal a couple of road games for sure, could this finally be the season to win at Saint Louis?

It is probably too tough to get the records, but I would count all wins and losses in conference play and in the tournament. I think the numbers above only include during the regular season, not including wins in the CUSA tournament.

With that we are probably even or ahead of Memphis, I am not changing the stat to make us the leader just trying to get at a good stat to use to determine at the end of this year whom is the conference USA un-disputed number 2.

It would be really interesting if Memphis ends up with one more win then us, remember that game about 6 years ago, I think we were up by 25 points on them and they ended up coming back in the second half and winning the game, that could be the deciding one.

I guess on the championship side, it is 12-3-2. Cinci-Charlotte- Marquette.

The bottom line is Cinci has really dominated this thing and we will be fighting for number 2 all-time this year as we exit.