the university hires firm
the university mildly changes logo
the university begins branding campaign

result:

headline in observer: UNCC launches ‘branding’ effort

for more info visit www.uncc.edu

[QUOTE=ninerID;424443]for more info visit www.uncc.edu[/QUOTE]

clt forgot that, dap for ninerid.

I heard a rumor that as soon as the Charlotte Observer finishes closing up shop, the school has already positioned itself to acquire the charlotte.com domain name. In other words, by 1st quarter of 2010, charlotte.com will point to the academic site for UNC Charlotte.

The Observer is not going to go out of business. The domain Charlotte.com will cease to be sometime in the future though as they have switched to Charlotteobserver.com (although charlotte.com still directs to charlotteobserver.com). They said a while back that charlotte.com will be something entirely new. It would be interesting if they school did something like that, but I really don’t see it happening. I thought the school was not allowed to have more than one domain name?

I had heard rumblings there were plans in the mix to transition over to either unccharlotte.edu or charlotte.edu, but it doesn’t seem anything ever materialized.

Only one .edu doman is allowed per institution, UNLESS, they had it prior to the rule. Our school didn’t think ahead and now we’re forced to make a short transition and lose the uncc.edu.

Charlotte Observer…I crap bigger than them

[QUOTE=J Felt;424468]I had heard rumblings there were plans in the mix to transition over to either unccharlotte.edu or charlotte.edu, but it doesn’t seem anything ever materialized.

Only one .edu doman is allowed per institution, UNLESS, they had it prior to the rule. Our school didn’t think ahead and now we’re forced to make a short transition and lose the uncc.edu.[/QUOTE]

I seem to recall that the same rule also says we cannot change it now.

[QUOTE=JoeSixPack;424473]Charlotte Observer…I crap bigger than them[/QUOTE]

I agree, but it’s not their fault. It’s our own fault that people still call us UNCC. See NinerID’s post. Unitl we drop the ‘unc’ part, we will always be called UNCC.

Actually had a conversation about this with a coworker at lunch. He is from Clemson. He thought us, UNCW, UNCA, UNCP, UNCG were sattellite schools of “UNC” (Chapel Hill). Half the problem is on our end, the other half is that they are allowed to continue using UNC as their moniker. By the end he understood, but it wasn’t easy to explain until we got down that Chapel Hill is not UNC.

[QUOTE=Mr. Bojangles;424499]I agree, but it’s not their fault. It’s our own fault that people still call us UNCC. See NinerID’s post. Unitl we drop the ‘unc’ part, we will always be called UNCC.[/QUOTE]

clt agrees and any decent study would have reached that conclusion.

clt was reading recently about the formation of the university of California and cal state. uc was set up as the higher tier universities and the cal state schools being lower tier but still above junior college. if we had the same structure, how would we rank the unc schools and how would the unc board?

how would we rank the unc schools and how would the unc board?
The board would rank it: Tier 1 UNC Tier 1.5 NCSU Tier 2 Everyone else

My rank.

1. Us
  2. Everyone else
  3. NCSU
  4. UNC-CH.

If we can’t do .edu, do .org.
uofcharlotte.org
charlotte.org
ucharlotte.org
char.org
uchar.org
char49.org
uchar49.org

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;424518]My rank.

1. Us
  2. Everyone else
  3. NCSU
  4. UNC-CH.

If we can’t do .edu, do .org.
uofcharlotte.org
charlotte.org
ucharlotte.org
char.org
uchar.org
char49.org
uchar49.org[/QUOTE]

www.uchar49.org?

I would transfer.

[QUOTE=thelew1014;424537]www.uchar49.org?

I would transfer.[/QUOTE]

how about univofcharlfortyniners49.org?

[QUOTE=shagg49er;424550]how about univofcharlfortyniners49.org?[/QUOTE]

I wonder if I could afford OOS tuition? Nothing else in NC really strikes my fancy.

how about univofcharlfortyniners49.org?

just go for the gusto

universityofnorthcarolinaatcharlotteakacharlotte49ers.edu

[QUOTE=J Felt;424554]just go for the gusto

universityofnorthcarolinaatcharlotteakacharlotte49ers.edu[/QUOTE]

oh no, we cant use that, no spaces in website names…

So, if we can grab charlotte.com, that means [B]tarhole fans[/B] trying to access the old Observer website to read about their tarholes [B]will wind up on the school’s site[/B].

Over finds this scenario quite humorous.