clt provides more UNC CHeat scandal.

I would love to see CHeat get nailed hard on this one but was what they did technically against NCAA rules at the time the events occurred? It was absolutely unethical but i’m not sure if it broke a rule.

No, it was fine. It’s what they were charged with 5 level I charges. (someones been listening to tarhole talking points)

Remember, they controlled the scope of the Wanstein inquiry. Imagine what would have been found by a real inquiry. Wanstein wasn’t allowed near anyone that could really damage the program.

Their response here is somewhere between unmitigated hubris, and a targeted attack on the foundation of the NCAA. The stakes are simple: If they win, the NCAA no longer exists in any recognizable form. And those shit heads in chapel hole are happy to take it down to protect their banners and “kerliner” way.

clt says this is fake news, good ol Roy is a saint.

9erken, how much does being a CH troll on the internet pay? I’ll apply, & pretend to believe in them. :))

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:1864, topic:28477”]9erken, how much does being a CH troll on the internet pay? I’ll apply, & pretend to believe in them. :))[/quote] Doesn’t pay much. They do name a street after you, though.

Is there any timeline on the NCAA decision, assuming Cheat does not come up with yet another delaying tactic?

The article I linked says the NCAA response is due in July, and a hearing could happen in August.

The article I linked says the NCAA response is due in July, and a hearing could happen in August.[/quote]

Hearing in August? I’m afraid we 'll be “hearing” that they’re innocent. I hope not, but if they do escape with no additional punishment, we’ll have 5 stories a day in the O telling us how their reputation has been unfairly damaged, etc.

I’ve thought about this a little bit and came to the conclusion that this is/was the only recourse that UNCCheat has/had.

They know good and damn well that they are guilty as hell and are caught red handed. They can’t possibly argue that they are innocent so what are they left with? This is all they can do, it’s really nothing more than a hail Mary. I just hope the NCAA knocks it down…

Well they did have another option. To self impose sanctions, including vacating titles to seek to lessen any punishment from the NCAA. Of course that required admitting guilt, which even if found guilty they will never own up to.

I find some of their choices interesting.

First, they knew they were cheating and they hired some pretty well known and talented cheaters to do just that. Then, in an effort to protect themselves at the top of the house–from Chancellor Thorpe, to AD Baddour, to head coaches Davis and Williams–they all stuck their heads in the sand. Now, I believe they knew what they say they didn’t know, but they chose to risk Lack of Institutional Control rather than getting caught with dirty hands.

Then, when they were all caught, they fought and delayed, and then fought and delayed some more. Knowing that their cheating was flagrant, they finally seemed to realize that it was also obvious. It seems to me that they weighed the outcomes of their two options–admit to their mistakes and take the consequences which would limit the already significant damage to the dignity of the University and give some closure to their alumni who have a big stake in this, or give the NCAA the finger and tell them to F’ off. Sure they cheated, but it is none of the NCAA’s business and they can’t touch them. This second approach will have minimal cost to the legions of Walmart Tar Heel fans because the value of academic integrity is not something they have ever thought about anyway. Clearly UNC-CH has picked bandwagon over graduates, which surprised me until I considered that maybe the University makes much more money on licensing fees than alumni donations, and that is the relationship that must be protected. That may be the saddest outcome from this whole stinking pile of crap.

I do wonder how much they make from sports relative to the academic side. I’m sure they get a ton of money from licensing, and at least some percentage of the donations are due to or enhanced by their athletic success. But they risked a huge pile of money in grants to protect that, because they would lose most of their research funding if they lost accreditation (~ $847 million last year alone). I’m sure part of the calculation was that they were unlikely to lose accreditation over this, but I bet part of it was that the decision-makers were also sports fans that want to protect their favorite teams so they’re willing to take crazy risks.

As it happens, the accreditation folks mostly gave them a pass, but if they continue to lie about the role of athletics, the extent of the problem with fake classes, and what the people involved in the scandal were doing (suggesting the people in charge still are condoning cheating and would likely just do it again), the accreditation agency may re-evaluate that weak response. So the initial cover-up, lies, and legal shenanigans are not as crazy as the continued lying to SACS (about other fake classes in other departments) to help protect themselves with the NCAA.

Just threw up a little in my mouth thinking about this possibility.

Just threw up a little in my mouth thinking about this possibility.[/quote]

Hell, I took a shit and threw it against the wall. >:D >:D >:D

File under crushing irony:

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:1875, topic:28477”]File under crushing irony:

[/quote]

clt can sense the smugness thru the screen of clt’s gateway 2000 monitor.

Has the tone of the media really changed recently?

[quote=“NinerNirvana, post:1877, topic:28477”]http://www.tarheelblog.com/2017/6/1/15710574/north-carolina-academic-scandal-notice-of-allegations-response

Has the tone of the media really changed recently?[/quote]

clt isn’t going to click on that, but will bet that they are whining.

more scandal: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article154031604.html

From former UNC QB: