Clt says Odom should not leave Charlotte

If Odom was responsible for recruiting players like Woods & Dorn under Major I donā€™t think we have anything to worry about in that area. I donā€™t know how big if a role he played in getting them. That is the kind of talent we need to be & should be recruiting. Does anyone know if he was the recruiting guru for Major?

Sat next to his family for his whole tenure here. But mostly donā€™t get the baseless notion that he canā€™t have success here

Donā€™t worry, after UMBC beats Kansas State, Odom will end up in a higher rated conference than CUSA.

Sounds like baseless notion Lutz canā€™t either

Odom has been a winning head college basketball coach for the last 3 years. Bobby has not been one. Next question please.

So only last 3 years count. Got it. Eliminates Matta, Crean, many more.

Odom success is salt in the wound for Judy crowd.

Man would there be some people eating crow if he came here and got us dancing.

Odom is salt in wound of Judy crowd? First time Iā€™ve been assoc with that lol

Not talking about you at all metro.

Iā€™m just saying if he were to come here, and succeed, we would have a lot of blue hair Judy friends that would need to be quiet. Iā€™m not sold on Odom, I just find the dynamic interesting.

clt says the announcers mentioned last night that Odom coached at Charlotte and we let him go. It was a shot a judy.

1 Like

Honestly Clayton is murky right? Gray. We are trying to clt alt del on Lutz, yet Odom relevant. I say pass on both and fresh blood.

1 Like

I agree here. It may be a gamble to take a shot at him after one big W at UMBC, but he did turn that program around and has them in the second round, a place we havenā€™t been since what 2001?

I think Grant would be an awesome hire, he seems to have a chip on his shoulder and is primed for a bigger job. However, I understand the concerns about Odom being like a Manziel type talent where he flashes, makes a ton of money, but doesnā€™t pan out.

I think Odom can go take a P5 job for more money though.

i am fairly confident in his ability to recruit and it is hard to judge his ability during his time with major. grant is still my first choice, far and away. he can recruit. saw first hand against us how athletic his team was for a caa team and they play in your face defense. looked to have a team of players that are above caa talent. i would be okay with odom but more nervous than with grant. i think one thing we will discover is how much better a lot of these guys are at coaching without having judy as their boss. that cannot be an easy person to work for. have to imagine her malarchy affected our previous coaches ability to be effective.

Last time I saw Ryan Odom in person was at the Hilton Center City in 2015 right after we let him go. He was with his dad and I think some Virginia folks. The hotel was the Virginia team hotel for the NCAA tournament where 2 seed Virginia was playing Belmont in the 1st round (UVA lost to 7 seed Michigan State in the 2nd round).

Imagine if I told him on that elevator that in 3 years heā€™ll be beating UVA in the NCAA tournament as the first 16 seed to beat a 1 seed. He would have called security and had me removed from the hotel.

From everything I have heard I am also a little higher on Grant than Odom. I would be happy with either one but I do find it somewhat frustrating that we may have had our future head coach right under our nose & we went in a different direction. I know there was really no good evidence at the time that Odom should have been retained but looking back it would have made a lot more sense than hiring someone with no college coaching or recruiting experience. I know hindsight is always 20/20. I definitely feel like the program would be in far better shape today if Odom had been hired 3 years ago.

& I do not mean that as a shot at Mark Price. He was an awesome player & from what I have heard & seen a great person. I thought he would be a good coach & may have been if he had the chance to learn college coaching & recruiting as an assistant. He was thrust into a tough situation & things just didnā€™t work out. The blame for that lies on our athletic department & not him.

Somehow I still believe Kennedy may the guy that is hired quickly and by surprise. If not Kennedy Iā€™d take Grant next then Odom and be ok with either!

TRLeader, I disagree with your talk about one game because heā€™s been on the radar of schools for a while now, itā€™s just the public perception that has played. Hill has been working on/talking to prospective candidates since before he even came down here for his finalist interviews.

I took a shine to Grant Earl back in November. Obviously Iā€™m not the only one who was keen on him even at that time and surely that number increased long before they played Auburn close. Reasonable to think the same for Odom in my opinion.

The Jimmer versus Garropolo thing though, definitely something to think about for Hill. Hopefully thatā€™s where his experience at Florida will shine.

I randomly met a UF alum at a bar in my neighborhood Friday night and his opinion was anyone who learned under Jeremy Foley should make a great AD. His story of Foleyā€™s rise to Floridaā€™s AD sounds similar to Hillā€™s path (Foley started in the ticket office).

While he didnā€™t know much about Hill specifically, he knew Florida football and basketball inside out.

I am confident that not only will Hill make a solid choice for HC, but even more so that he will provide the resources necessary for the new HC to succeed.