clt says talk about teacher pay here

clt says to start speculation.

Maybe to come and look at light Rail progress? I noticed the above ground track. Does it float over most of it’s journey through campus?

We warned you about offering coeds “rides” in the zeppelin.

It was to discuss how ConnectNC will support colleges and universities. Not sure what that is.

[quote=“Hawthorne_49er, post:4, topic:29563”]It was to discuss how ConnectNC will support colleges and universities. Not sure what that is.

I think that is what they are calling the bond referendum proposal he just made. Would fund construction of a science building on campus.

If McCrory was on campus I figured he’d be telling teaching students to quit college.

He should if they dont bother raising pay some more.

He should if they dont bother raising pay some more.[/quote]

Yeah, I voted for McCrory and now I’m pissed about that. You could make the same amount as a teacher working at McDonalds.

Yeah, I voted for McCrory and now I’m pissed about that. You could make the same amount as a teacher working at McDonalds.[/quote]

If they give them $15 an hour being a fry guy at McD’s is a better career choice.

My wife is a teacher and it is an honorable profession that will become economically not viable if the teacher pay stays were it is relative to the cost to attend college.

Yeah, I voted for McCrory and now I’m pissed about that. You could make the same amount as a teacher working at McDonalds.[/quote]

If they give them $15 an hour being a fry guy at McD’s is a better career choice.

My wife is a teacher and it is an honorable profession that will become economically not viable if the teacher pay stays were it is relative to the cost to attend college.[/quote]
I know your wife is a teacher, but I have friends who are as well and a daughter about to be. I think you are really exaggerating here. Will teachers get “rich”? No, but its still no comparison to working at McD’s. Thats ridiculous.

This is just not “generally” true. Even at $15/hr (which 95% do not make) x 40 hours/week and 52 weeks a year that would equal $31,200. Which is just below the bottom end salary of a first year teacher in NC, who also has a MUCH better benefits package and ~2 months (works ~10 months) off during the summer, plus holidays that McD’s does not give off.

This is just not “generally” true. Even at $15/hr (which 95% do not make) x 40 hours/week and 52 weeks a year that would equal $31,200. Which is just below the bottom end salary of a first year teacher in NC, who also has a MUCH better benefits package and ~2 months (works ~10 months) off during the summer, plus holidays that McD’s does not give off.[/quote]

My assumption would be teachers work 50 hours a week at minimum which at 10 months would be a full work year pretty much. If the pay was the same I would choose McD’s every time.

This is just not “generally” true. Even at $15/hr (which 95% do not make) x 40 hours/week and 52 weeks a year that would equal $31,200. Which is just below the bottom end salary of a first year teacher in NC, who also has a MUCH better benefits package and ~2 months (works ~10 months) off during the summer, plus holidays that McD’s does not give off.[/quote]

My assumption would be teachers work 50 hours a week at minimum which at 10 months would be a full work year pretty much. If the pay was the same I would choose McD’s every time.[/quote]
Some great teachers do that, most do not come close…No way in the world.

My assumption would be teachers work 50 hours a week at minimum which at 10 months would be a full work year pretty much. If the pay was the same I would choose McD’s every time.[/quote]

Let me know how that McDonald’s employee is doing in 30 years when the teacher retires.

I don’t think the starting teacher salary is really too much of the issue. Considering the amount of people that major in education and the pass rate that the major has this isn’t too surprising.

What is surprising and in my opinion is the problem is that teachers rarely get raises in NC even after working for many years. It’s hard to imagine many other jobs where you make the same salary as you started five years later.

Any job that requires a degree, I should clarify

My wife is a teacher and it is an honorable profession that will become economically not viable if the teacher pay stays were it is relative to the cost to attend college.[/quote]
I know your wife is a teacher, but I have friends who are as well and a daughter about to be. I think you are really exaggerating here. Will teachers get “rich”? No, but its still no comparison to working at McD’s. Thats ridiculous.[/quote]

Note I said IF they give them $15 an hour mcds is a better career choice. 31,200 a year based On a 40 hr week. So in 2014 they did bump teacher pay for first yr teachers to 33k. My wife after teaching for nearly a decade makes 36k. Based on the escalating costs of college tuition and paying student loans I stand by my statement. The future of the teaching profession is with out a doubt in jeopardy in NC. With the cost of attending plus potential student loan interest and the pay given to teachers it just isn’t a wise economic choice unless you plan on marrying someone that can provide for you.

As far as hours worked it greatly depends on grade and experience in my wife’s 9 years she has taught 3 grades, focus on math and reading for AIG as well as lower performers. What that means is almost every year entirely new lesson plans. Each principle is different in expectations on how detailed those need to be. Her first principle didn’t care second one expects fairly detailed ones. Then there is after school programs. My wife leads robotics. That’s a couple hours a week plus weekend competitions 4 times a year. Add in if the teacher is a grade level leader those are additional hours in meetings with school or county leadership. I haven’t even mentioned the required professional development. So perhaps not all teachers work a full 40 or 50 hrs but based on their position and responsibilities they certainly could. I would say on average my wife clocks in around 43 or 44. Which equates to 15.73 an hour and oh yeah the health insurance which used to be great now sucks.

Also they don’t get 2 months off. They get two months of unpaid time during which their contract can not be renewed. Also the teachers end up bringing in supplies on their own for kids. The school might have a great pat that covers it, but every year I end up paying for two or three kids to go on fields trips or need supplies. My wife would probably pay the out of her pocket of I wasn’t around which is just another drain on the low salary they bring in.

My wife is getting her masters in May which will bump her up into the 40s. So after ten years in a profession with an advanced degree she has finally broken 40k.

I know your wife is a teacher, but I have friends who are as well and a daughter about to be. I think you are really exaggerating here. Will teachers get “rich”? No, but its still no comparison to working at McD’s. Thats ridiculous.[/quote]

Note I said IF they give them $15 an hour mcds is a better career choice. 31,200 a year based On a 40 hr week. So in 2014 they did bump teacher pay for first yr teachers to 33k. My wife after teaching for nearly a decade makes 36k. Based on the escalating costs of college tuition and paying student loans I stand by my statement. The future of the teaching profession is with out a doubt in jeopardy in NC. With the cost of attending plus potential student loan interest and the pay given to teachers it just isn’t a wise economic choice unless you plan on marrying someone that can provide for you.

As far as hours worked it greatly depends on grade and experience in my wife’s 9 years she has taught 3 grades, focus on math and reading for AIG as well as lower performers. What that means is almost every year entirely new lesson plans. Each principle is different in expectations on how detailed those need to be. Her first principle didn’t care second one expects fairly detailed ones. Then there is after school programs. My wife leads robotics. That’s a couple hours a week plus weekend competitions 4 times a year. Add in if the teacher is a grade level leader those are additional hours in meetings with school or county leadership. I haven’t even mentioned the required professional development. So perhaps not all teachers work a full 40 or 50 hrs but based on their position and responsibilities they certainly could. I would say on average my wife clocks in around 43 or 44. Which equates to 15.73 an hour and oh yeah the health insurance which used to be great now sucks.

Also they don’t get 2 months off. They get two months of unpaid time during which their contract can not be renewed. Also the teachers end up bringing in supplies on their own for kids. The school might have a great pat that covers it, but every year I end up paying for two or three kids to go on fields trips or need supplies. My wife would probably pay the out of her pocket of I wasn’t around which is just another drain on the low salary they bring in.

My wife is getting her masters in May which will bump her up into the 40s. So after ten years in a profession with an advanced degree she has finally broken 40k.[/quote]
They do get 2 months off. They can elect to spread their pay over 12 months, but regardless you have to factor in 2 months of not having to “work” if you are comparing annual salaries to another job that DOES require you to go to the job site all 12 months. The other examples you list are very specific (including taking on the other responsibilities) and may be accurate for some teachers, but certainly are not for all or anywhere near all of them. I see many teachers who arrive at 8:00 and leave within 10 minutes of the kids being gone (ie; working 8am-4pm or earlier) and no they don’t all spend hours grading papers at night. Again, I am sure some do----but certainly not all and probably not most.

In this thread: anecdotal evidence that has nothing to do with the OP’s post.

I call it thread terrorism.