clt says the observer is open with its bias now

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/04/27/1400173/newspaper-circulation-continues.html#none

when unc-ch’s bball team doesn’t do well, the paper doesn’t do well.

good riddance.

That’s not bias.

It’s just the truth. They have more fans and more money. Plus our fans are cheap.

Pretty much a self-fullfilling prophecy I would say…

I don’t understand why there’s even a mention of the Tar Heels in a story about their circulation problems. Do they think folks only read the paper for sports coverage? DUMB

If you read the article, it’s referring to the change in circulation from last year, which is when the Tar Heels won the championship. Do you think that a large school in the middle of the state that has a large following such as UNCCH who wins a national title, would not create an increase in circulation (and readership online), especially in Raleigh, but also Charlotte? DUMB.

clt reminds you that the press is supposedly “impartial”.

they are freely admitting that they have hitched their horse to the blue fairy wagon. so much for neutrality.

Well, they did point out that Circulation of papers in South Carolina declined even more, so that tells me there are more factors than whether or not UNC is winning. Unless, of course, the S.C. papers are MORE dependent on Tar Heel success than the Observer. I don’t view that article as an admission of bias, but as a (weak) attempt to explain their latest circulation problem. Please note that I did not state they were unbiased, just that they aren’t admitting it.

If you read the article, it’s referring to the change in circulation from last year, which is when the Tar Heels won the championship. Do you think that a large school in the middle of the state that has a large following such as UNCCH who wins a national title, would not create an increase in circulation (and readership online), especially in Raleigh, but also Charlotte? DUMB.[/quote]

I think the idea that coverage of a given team (in any area, city…) 95% of the time will increase readership is absurd. During a Final Four weekend, Super Bowl, etc. if a local team is in it sure I guarantee you will have more “walk-up” purchasers. However, this idea that is espoused by so many that the Tar Heels (or whoever) get more coverage/articles, etc. because they “sell papers” is crap. I know enough about the business to know that the VAST majority of newspaper readers come from 2 groups, neither of which is driven by what/who the paper writes stories about. One is subscribers and the other is habitual newsstand purchasers. Again, I’d bet 95%+ from both of these groups would buy the paper just as often regardless whether there were more stories about the Tar Heels or the Niners. Buying/reading a newspaper is habit for most people.

I like that. Makes good sense and, at the same time, debunks the Observer rationale for lots of UNC coverage.