clt says there is no where to eat

[quote=“JaMiNNiNeR, post:20, topic:30844”]Almost everything in UCity has been built since the 1970’s. There aren’t a lot of cheap rent locations that would be conducive for someone to take a gamble and open a local restaurant other than shuttered chain restaurants or big box stores. Plus, college students are generally poor and aren’t going to spend big bucks dining out. If UCity had existed prior to the automobile I believe you’d have more real estate options for restaurants like you see in NoDa or Plaza Midwood.[/quote]rent in ucity is cheaper than basically anywhere in the city that isn’t slummy.

There are a lot of people in ucity that make decent to good money.

I don’t think it is demographics as much as it is ambiance. Ucity is poorly developed and frankly quite ugly. Most of your restauranteurs are creative types and the dullness of ucity simply doesn’t fit the hip or edgy themes most restauranteurs are going for.

Even in the hipper areas of town, you aren’t seeing the best restaurants opening in shopping centers with grocery stores or drug stores. That’s basically all UCity is composed of.

With the Kohl’s going out of business in UCitt, I’m hoping that shopping center will be torn down and something more street friendly built. That and the redevelopment of the shoppes at university place could do a lot to change the feel of the campus area.

[quote=“Niner National, post:21, topic:30844”][quote=“JaMiNNiNeR, post:20, topic:30844”]Almost everything in UCity has been built since the 1970’s. There aren’t a lot of cheap rent locations that would be conducive for someone to take a gamble and open a local restaurant other than shuttered chain restaurants or big box stores. Plus, college students are generally poor and aren’t going to spend big bucks dining out. If UCity had existed prior to the automobile I believe you’d have more real estate options for restaurants like you see in NoDa or Plaza Midwood.[/quote]rent in ucity is cheaper than basically anywhere in the city that isn’t slummy.

There are a lot of people in ucity that make decent to good money.

I don’t think it is demographics as much as it is ambiance. Ucity is poorly developed and frankly quite ugly. Most of your restauranteurs are creative types and the dullness of ucity simply doesn’t fit the hip or edgy themes most restauranteurs are going for.

Even in the hipper areas of town, you aren’t seeing the best restaurants opening in shopping centers with grocery stores or drug stores. That’s basically all UCity is composed of.

With the Kohl’s going out of business in UCitt, I’m hoping that shopping center will be torn down and something more street friendly built. That and the redevelopment of the shoppes at university place could do a lot to change the feel of the campus area.[/quote]

Is it hard to turn an old Jack n’ the Box or Outback Steakhouse into a “trendy” place people want to frequent. Maybe a developer will build a place with more walkability but new developments come with higher rent.

If they get the redevelopment across 29 to be something close to what is envisioned that will help immensely.

Yeah, it’s encouraging the major landowners in the area seem to be acting in unison to transform the area into something walkable and college-friendly. I wonder how many of those people with piles of money that have a built-in interest in U City the Foundation has on speed dial… :wink:

clt says the perceived safety issue is also a factor.

When a shooting happens on sugaw creek, the local main stream media calls it university.

Sad

If you want upscale dining go to an upscale community. The U City area has been historically full of college kids and recent grads AKA poor people. If I am a business owner, why would I bring in a top chef and park him or her in the U City area to make pizza? Business owners want to make money and it would be hard to get them to come to that community.

[quote=“Dowless, post:26, topic:30844”]If you want upscale dining go to an upscale community. The U City area has been historically full of college kids and recent grads AKA poor people. If I am a business owner, why would I bring in a top chef and park him or her in the U City area to make pizza? Business owners want to make money and it would be hard to get them to come to that community.[/quote]this isn’t about upscale dining, it’s about destination dining. UCity has virtually no must-see spots, high end or not.

The trendy neighborhoods have plenty of places that aren’t upscale where you can dine for less than $20 per person.

Plaza: the diamond, midwood smokehouse, Yama Izakaya, Zada Jane’s, Thomas Street Tavern, Intermezzo, Pure Pizza. Throw in other trendy places like Two Scoops Creamery and Central Coffee

Elizabeth: bang bang burgers, earls grocery, sabor, Cajun Queen (some things can be had under $20 and brunch definitely can be. It’s sort of the fringe between fine dining and upper casual dining imo). I’ll include Elizabeth Creamery here as well.

Dilworth: JJ’s Red Hots, Mayo Bird, Dilworth Grill, Bakersfield Tacos, Mr. K’s

NoDa: Amelie’s, Sabor, Revolution Pizza, Boidreaux’s, Jack Beagles, Crepe Cellar, Growlers, Heist, Bennys

SouthEnd: not really many destination places to eat, but they do have prices chicken, several breweries, and food truck Friday. Leroy fox and a Korean place are coming this year.

West side: pinks, burger co, sabor

Cotswold: Leroy fox, Eddie’s place, improper pig

You don’t have to be upscale to be desirable. Just have good food for under $20 and create a notable vibe and you can be a destination dining option.

If you decide to live in Ucity, you have committed to always driving across town for a night out with friends. There is nothing worthwhile around to entice people to come visit you.

Flying Saucer used to be a destination years ago, but now their selection of beer is less impressive. It used to be the only place you could get a ton of craft brew options in Charlotte, but now with all the breweries and bars with 50+ taps, it has lost some of its appeal.

University City isn’t poor. It has poor people, but there are neighborhoods around with money. A lot if you consider Harrisburg and southern Concord a part of UCity. While they technically aren’t, they very much are.

I agree partially. In that is what is perceived by many people, however, many people forget the massive amount of business parks there are nestled in the woods in the University area. There is a reason they built a Tesla charging station off of Mallard Crk church. There was a demand for it and people/families have money in that area.

I agree with the upscale factor. That’s why there really isn’t any “upscale” restaurants near concord mills. They know their demographics. However, I would like to see more specialty/unique restaurants in the U-City. A place like Futo Buta in Southend would kill it in the university. All these new restaurants/retail need to be TOD (transit oriented designs). I think we have a sleeping giant, which is the Boardwalks area. I think that area needs a MAJOR overhaul and if done right, can become that destination spot that people are willing to travel to. Tenant selection is KEY.

I agree partially. In that is what is perceived by many people, however, many people forget the massive amount of business parks there are nestled in the woods in the University area. There is a reason they built a Tesla charging station off of Mallard Crk church. There was a demand for it and people/families have money in that area.

I agree with the upscale factor. That’s why there really isn’t any “upscale” restaurants near concord mills. They know their demographics. However, I would like to see more specialty/unique restaurants in the U-City. A place like Futo Buta in Southend would kill it in the university. All these new restaurants/retail need to be TOD (transit oriented designs). I think we have a sleeping giant, which is the Boardwalks area. I think that area needs a MAJOR overhaul and if done right, can become that destination spot that people are willing to travel to. Tenant selection is KEY.[/quote]tenant selection at the new boardwalk area is nothing special. There are a few chains and a bank known already. I think a few spots are unannounced or not yet leased.

I’m still pissed Bikini’s went out of business. >:(