clt says we have the largest IT school in the state

Why don’t we promote this? Why wasn’t this in the amz vid?

Charlotte is home to the state’s largest computing college, at UNC Charlotte, which is also one of the largest in the nation.

“Our enrollment has been growing exponentially,” said Fatma Mili, dean of UNC Charlotte College of Computing & Informatics.

The size of the college’s computer and technology programs has doubled in the past 10 years.

Some students start internships during their freshman year, another example of the industry demand.

“Each one of our students gets multiple offers before they graduate,” Mili said.

[quote=“ghostofclt, post:1, topic:32151”]Why don’t we promote this? Why wasn’t this in the amz vid?

Charlotte is home to the state’s largest computing college, at UNC Charlotte, which is also one of the largest in the nation.

“Our enrollment has been growing exponentially,” said Fatma Mili, dean of UNC Charlotte College of Computing & Informatics.

The size of the college’s computer and technology programs has doubled in the past 10 years.

Some students start internships during their freshman year, another example of the industry demand.

“Each one of our students gets multiple offers before they graduate,” Mili said.[/quote]
It may have been, but look at our numbers when it comes to funding per student…we are still near the bottom. We get no recognition and no respect from the state, why would Amazon want to partner with us when our own state doesn’t respect us enough to fund us at the level we should be funded.
However, I am proud of this, it’s a growing field and it seems like we are beginning to really build a good computer/technology program here.

Our funding challenge is real. It’s also not anything new. UNC Charlotte has built fantastic programs in spite of the Triangle’s efforts. The problem is that no one seems to know about them. We need to be doing more to put the institution in front of the city.

100% agree, sadly I think the administration here thinks the Center City building is enough. While a great thing and something that gives us a presence in Uptown we need more. We need better marketing, commercials, social media campaigns, we need to sponsor some events in the city so people see us. Not enough to just have a building.

That’s pretty cool about our computing/tech majors. I was actually just thinking a few days ago, what Charlotte can do…university/city wise, to help bridge the gap of our tech workforce compared to the Triangle. The good news, we are slowing filling that gap with places like WeWork and Packard Place uptown. These are shared workspaces for start-ups and other tech company environments. Homegrown companies like Avidxchange are great for Charlotte and more and more of these type of companies are starting or relocating to CLT. Like a few others have said, we need to market this university big time…for when ppl looking from the outside (ie Amazon), University of Charlotte looks like a tier 1 school in the state. Lastly, I wouldn’t mind if we had more office/classroom space uptown (besides our uptown building in 1st ward). I’m talking like how Northwestern (Trade & Tryon…don’t know how they lucked out with that location) and Wake Forest (by Fitzgeralds) have a street-level presence on prominent streets that have a lot of foot traffic. No med school and being irrelevant in sports, hasn’t helped our outside perception either though.

North Carolina and Charlotte leaders preferred to go with the fact we have 12 “local” colleges in their presentation to Amazon. Their big point of emphasis was that we have one of the largest community colleges in the nation. Really?

There was no point of emphasis on the major university, UNC Charlotte, with all of our accomplishments and ability to serve. That was an absolute joke and a failure for our team. That was the key differentiator between us and the ones that made the short list. They focused on their local, major university. Come on city leaders, get behind Charlotte’s university.

Future growth will require state and city leaders to get behind our university. Charlotte leaders CANNOT allow UNC Chapel Hill to open a medical school in our city. This is well underway and needs to be stopped now. This should belong to Charlotte.

Phil DuBois needs to change his stance. He stated when he first took over that it is about the UNC system, not UNC Charlotte. correct me if i am wrong.

Phil, you are the chancellor of UNC Charlotte, not the UNC system. Stand up for your (our) university. Quit allowing our university to take a back seat.

The future of our university and the city of Charlotte requires you to be bold, not back down, and be a strong leader. I believe in you. Make it happen! Our city and university will stand behind your true leadership. Please do not sit back and allow this university to be second class. You know what to do more so than any of us. Leave a legacy behind.

clt says the media is dragging the school down with each HQ2 story. perception is reality.

2018 Rankings

University of North Carolina–Charlotte is ranked #198 in National Universities. Schools are ranked according to their performance across a set of widely accepted indicators of excellence.
#198 (tie) in National Universities
#106 (tie) in High School Counselor Rankings
#106 (tie) in Top Public Schools
#109 (tie) in Business Programs
#82 (tie) in Engineering Programs (doctorate)
At schools whose highest degree is a doctorate

We are Charl-IT.

I’ll let myself out.

49er9er, if CHP ignores us, I guess it’s time to starte e-mailing the CLT Mayor & City Council.
& for funding, the NC Gov. & NCGA.

I actually have confidence in Phil. I understand his challenge when he was new to his current position.

However, now he has established seniority. He is mature in his position. It is time for him to really produce for this University. Again, I am confident he will.

It is long time that the UNC system allows the University of North Carolina Charlotte to become the University it has the potential to be.

[quote=“ghostofclt, post:1, topic:32151”]Why don’t we promote this? Why wasn’t this in the amz vid?

“Each one of our students gets multiple offers before they graduate,” Mili said.[/quote]

Makes absolutely no sense. Did no one tell them that a very large percentage of the grads from the triangle schools come to Charlotte to find work? Would love to see the actual percentages of people that graduate from the triangle schools and stay in the triangle. My knowledge on this is anecdotal but it is my understanding that the “learn in the Triangle, earn in Charlotte” situation is for real. Not to mention that if your amazon the talent will come to you from all over NC AND SC. Your recruiting from every college in the Carolinas when you are in Charlotte.

I just watched the hype video they produced. The poetry grew on me. Not too bad. But failure to name check UNC Charlotte and relay some of our stats really pisses me off. They mention the EpiCentre by name but they cannot mention UNC Charlotte?? This kind of thing just pisses me off to no end. I’m speechless. What is this self loathing THING that Charlotte has for it’s largest university? Failure to accentuate this massive resource for Charlotte in this video is a root level failure of the marketing effort. I also saw nothing about the massive population within commuting range of Charlotte. Nothing about the massive investments in public transit (including to our school) that has taken place, nothing about the other universities in our area (Davidson had a comp sci department too). Just mind boggling.

Can Raleigh even handle this Amazon HQ? It just seems too big for them.

I don’t think they have a prayer of getting it.

Where Graduates Go

INSTITUTION Mecklenburg Wake
UNC Charlotte 35,000 3,368
UNC Chapel Hill 18,264 30,221
NC State 9,100 58,000
South Carolina 8,596 2,932
Duke 4,384 7,304
Clemson 2,591 7,304
Appalachian State 8,838 7,090
Davidson College 1,471 559

“The way I think about cities today—which I don’t think has really become a major issue yet in a city like Charlotte—is that there’s new kind of competition among cities,” Katz says. “There are all these emerging technologies that are moving from the laboratories to adoption, such as robotics, autonomous vehicles, genomics … and the question for cities in the U.S. is, can you play in those technologies? If you can, you’re set.

“Which cities now seem like they have a shot? Well, I’d say Pittsburgh because of Carnegie Mellon (University, which recently tested a self-driving car), and Atlanta because of Georgia Tech. It comes down to whether you have advanced research capabilities and the talent pool to attract these new technologies, and that has an impact on the local economy, job opportunities, infrastructure, and all the rest."

These days companies want to have a major research university less than 30 minutes away to try to recruit students as well as to develop and the research and tech they want to develop to use in the future. Not to mention it gives their employees the opportunity to further educate themselves at a great school in their fields without having to go far to do so. So a university like Chapel Hill or NC State being 3 hours away is a real inconvenience.

clt says connect the dots.

So Charlotte Magazine doesn’t even know we exist? Hmmm… if only we had a Chancellor who knew about this invention called marketing.

Phil could take lessons from the High Point University President. That guy is incredible.

yes he is. Private university presidents are always selling. This guy is amazing on Twitter too:
https://twitter.com/mercerprez