Clt starts the odu game chat page

Running the ball on 3rd and long, then attempting a 30 yard pass on 4th and short, instead of kicking an easy field goal to go up 13 with just a few minutes remaining in the 4th quarter, is so moronic that it deserves more than a runon sentence. That is not going for the win. That is asking for another loss for Lambertā€™s losing record.

The team showed improvements. Thank God Mullen is gone. The defense played great except for some interior runs, but should have been burned for a TD that ODU dropped. Foggie baited the QB on the next play and picked the int with a nice long returnā€¦only to have Lambert turn the ball over on downs instead of getting points that would have better secured the game .

Seats direct behind the bench canā€™t be students in CUSA. Those are players families and other program tickets, such as coaches passes and recruits.

Punter was MUCH better today.

It is insane to think these are the same offensive players as last year. Montgomery is so much better than Mullen itā€™s unreal.

Kicking game continues to be legit.

Our defense is talented, but the secondary continues to struggle. Itā€™s a good thing their QBs were not very good.

Discipline is still an issue.

Donā€™t lose the Forrest for the trees. This conference is abysmal. Still not where we need to be as a program, especially on the recruiting trail.

Lambert makes some head scratching decisions. If weā€™re ever in a position where we are in a game, and one of these things costs us a game, itā€™s gonna be real bad.

1 Like

ODU receiver also straight up dropped a TD pass :pray:

3 Likes

The QB and best receiver were not players from last year.

They were both on the roster. Somebody determined we were better off redshirting them.

1 Like

Praise Lambert!

Nice to walk out of the stadium victorious for a change. It was very strange not being able to tailgate before the game, but a fun time yesterday.

<<<<
Really? It was TOTALLY empty the entire game. So, canā€™t believe no playersā€™ family members showed up.

The parents were sitting on the home side in the good seats yesterday.
Reynolds mom was behind me.

1 Like

Shade. We had visiting players parents in front of us. Said it was 20 degrees cooler on our side.

clt expects us to win 6, make a bowl, and win it for lambertā€™s last game.

My initial reaction when we didnā€™t kicked the field goal and went for it was it was a bad call. I still donā€™t feel great about it but was nice to see Lambert be a little aggressive. The dropped punts are getting old and weā€™re lucky they havenā€™t cost us a game yet.

I thought our defense played pretty well but the tackles ODU broke for big gains drove me crazy. Overall, it was good to see us get a win. Watching Benny LeMay play is worth the price of admission, how many guys did he jump over? Crazy!

Our tackling was very poor and let their backs make some big gains. We were arm talking a lot and not driving into their guys. Maybe they are trying too hard for the strip and fumble. We have to concentrate on getting the runners down first.

McAllister looks quicker to me than LeMay. He looks like he has a much better chance of breaking a long run. Lemay trying to hurdle opponents worries me some because I think it risks injuries.

Thought on the game.

Props to the staff. This was a fun day. Lot of smiles
Also props to the band for playing during the game and at halftime. It was cool to be there, a very unique environment.

Also, I saw Hill on the student side talking to the kids, just working the room.

As for the game, it seemed we had a game plan and stuck with it even when we went down a few points.

I saw three major fixable errors. Quattlebaumā€™s punt muff, Kofaā€™s personal foul, and the punt in the fourth quarter that almost hit three of our guys. There are usually ten of these a game, so three is OK.

Corbett made a great play picking a short hop long snap and getting the punt off.

The offensive kine played pretty well, but they are so shallow. Brown missing the latter part of the 2nd quarter was a problem. We need Davis back.

The Dline is also shallow, but they are probably the strongest position group we have.

I like the short throws they set up for Reynolds to move the chains. I also liked them rolling him right. We need to do that more. We also ran a counter run play. I donā€™t believe Iā€™ve ever seen that before.

The running backs were big league. The grind it out mixed with short passing will beat some CUSA teams.

Anyone else have a flash back to FIU 16 in the fourth quarter?

Iā€™ve seen Lambert bashed for forgoing the FG up ten, but I see the logic both ways. I would have kicked it, but he went for the kill shot, which is something heā€™s rarely done. He baited ODU to burn two timeouts during the drive which paid dividends later.

All in all good game. I do think ODU is, with the possible exception of WKU, the worst team we will play this season. I donā€™t think weā€™ll beat UMASS, nor will will we beat UAB. I think we might win one more and Lambert goes away on schedule.

1 Like

That was a thing of beauty.

I think we may beat UMass, WKU, FIU, and maybe one more team. That would get us 6 wins and a bowl game. I know we are still not where any of us would like to be at this point, but if we continue to improve like we have from last year to this year and the first few games then I see real progress for once. We are very short-handed on both lines and need more players. I think we have lost some players since the summer. I know #70 on the oline has not been dressing out or on the sideline the whole season. He played a lot in the spring game.

I think our offense is so much better than in years past. We had two drives that went longer than 5-6 minutes yesterday which I do not think we have ever had in the past. This helps our defense get much needed rest since we are short on players. I think our offense will continue to improve over the season and hope the defense can stop giving up the big plays.

I am not sure if we can recruit, but I know we are working the local area more than in the past few years

I only watched bits and pieces of the game.

Its good for the next coach that we have RBs, a competent QB and a kicker. Having those in place will make the rebuild a lot easier for the next guy.

Great to get a win, but the Lambert theme of winning continues to be ā€œuglyā€. We usually win games, not because we had minimal errors, strong play or a creative coaching plan, but in spite of them (usually because the other team is making the same quality of errors). It puts us in a massive disadvantage, and even in this game where we could had won easily if we had come out and played a clean ball game, we took down to the wire.

How refreshing watching an offense run clockā€¦no more of that hurry up crap where we go 3 and out in 12 seconds and keep the defense gassed!

And is D. Barkley still banged up?? I thought he was supposed to be our D-Line stud. He rarely played at allā€¦but the few snaps he playedā€¦he seemed to be making stopsā€¦just curious why so limited in snap count.

The punterā€™s mother was in front of me. Glad he did pretty well as I can be pretty verbally critical. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

He was in and out, but looked good when in there. He had a second half sack too.