Coach Major's Assistants

Per Utter’s tweet:

[font=lucida grande][size=14px]Joining the staff of new Charlotte 49ers coach Alan Major are Boston U assoc head coach Orlando Vandross and Va Tech asst coach Ryan Odom[/size][/font]

[font=lucida grande][size=14px]Orlando Vandross bio[/size][/font]

[font=lucida grande]Ryan Odom bio[/font]

Yes, Ryan is the son of Dave Odom and brother of Lane Odom.

GoTerriers.com: Orlando Vandross, Associate Head Coach, Boston U.

Hokiesports.com: Ryan Odom, Assistant Coach, Va Tech

Nice. Both seem to have good experience in recruiting, which is key. Welcome to Charlotte coach Vandross and coach Odom!

This is going to be one hell of a program!

More…

Enterprisenews.com: Brockton’s Vandross enjoying life as BU associate head coach

Roanoke.com: Odom finds place in family biz

i dont want to be negative but i dont see odom as having recruited one players at virginia tech. i just checked on rivals. does anybody have any other inside information on these guys?

sweetness. another reynolds alum on the team.

http://gmine.blogspot.com/2010/04/new-49ers-coach-already-amassing-staff.html

Interesting, while researching Vandross and Odom, found this about the latter in relation to the UNCW search:

Starnewsonline.com: Could nepotism law affect a UNCW candidate?

i wouldn’t get caught up in that. Not saying he is going to be stellar, i have no idea, but the rivals thing with assistant coaches isn’t maintained that well from what I have looked at in the past.

For instance, Rob Moxley only has Braswell, Green and Sirin from 2009, nobody else in his history at Charlotte.

VT has done well recruiting down this way. They just got Marquis Rankin from Vance and they got Victor Davilla from Starmount a few years ago.

As has been noted in another thread per Wake’s 2010 recruiting class!

[quote=“ConcordNiners, post:11, topic:23024”]VT has done well recruiting down this way. They just got Marquis Rankin from Vance and they got Victor Davilla from Starmount a few years ago.[/quote]And don’t forget Dorenzo Hudson of Charlotte and JT Thompson of Monroe.

Any word on if he will keep Perron as either DOBO or promote to assistant?

If we were going to get rid of Perron, I imagine we would have done so already.

Still need another asst and director of bball opps, so I think its safe to say Perron is probably going to get one of those positions.

Vandross is Boston U’s top assistant and they actually kept him on staff after firing the previous head coach (much like Wat at Missouri). Dont know what that means, but it means something. Should know recruiting the northeast well, and played as a guard in college.

Getting Odom is interesting. Obviously, he has ties to this region and played guard in college as well. Im not exactly sure how we pulled him from VT unless we gave him the associate hc position? Otherwise, I doubt the pay would be more, and most probably would be less…

I guess we’ll find out more today.

I think the key here is that you will not have an inexperienced staff. Vandross has been around a while in the Northeast and Odom’s been around basketball all his life and played under a coach many of you like, Tony Shaver.

[quote=“Niner National, post:15, topic:23024”]If we were going to get rid of Perron, I imagine we would have done so already.[/quote]I think it is pretty obvious why he is retained.

Perron falls into a different classification as a state employee from the other coaches. He cannot be simply terminated. If they decide not to keep him on the basketball staff they will probably assign him different duties, which I would expect would lead him to leave as coaching is his goal.

Major has been contacted by many excellent assistant coaches. There’s no shortage of guys who want to join his staff. I hope Perron is offered as an assistant or at least has the option to remain as Dir of Ops. I don’t think Odom is a done deal, btw.