Coach Mox to the Terps

[b]Exactly. This would be a perfect situation to bring in a veteran, defensive oriented assistant, something I have been clamoring for all year. [/b]

We don’t have the $$ to bring in anyone with any real experience.

Beside, we pay Lutz to install a defense. The assistants are there to run it during practice.

Anyone know how much we were paying Moxley? Just curious…

Neither the Observer nor NinerReport have anything on this yet. Not even anything on Charlotte49ers.com…sad.

[edit] I was way off and should shut up when I don’t know for sure.

20K??? More like 4 times that. If hired he’ll be the top assistant at Maryland…which will pay him more than the head coach at Coastal Carolina or any school of that type.

They get much more than 20K. I know that. These guys get very good compensation. I’m sure we could afford someone from somewhere like the MVC or the Mountain West. We just have to be selective.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Apr 15 2005, 10:09 AM [b] 20K??? More like 4 times that. If hired he'll be the top assistant at Maryland...which will pay him more than the head coach at Coastal Carolina or any school of that type. [/b]
He won't be the top man, he will be the 2 or 3 man, but Gary wants him in place because Dave Dickerson will probably get a head job soon.

BTW

Maryland is Moxley’s dream job. He’ll wait till GW retires I bet.

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Apr 15 2005, 09:11 AM [b] He won't be the top man, he will be the 2 or 3 man, but Gary wants him in place because Dave Dickerson will probably get a head job soon. [/b]
Dave Dickerson is already gone. He's HC at Tulane. I'm pretty sure Moxley will be the top guy.

Terps will enjoy another NIT bid with the addition of Moxley. Give me a break. Moxley is not much.

Mox will be the top guy and will be paid handsomely. I have a pretty good idea how much he’ll be getting and it’s more than I expected.

As much as anyone may hate losing him, it’s tough to begrudge him this opportunity. It’s pretty much his dream job.

So long as he’s never trumpeted around saying the Charlotte Assistant position was his dream job, I have no ill will. :slight_smile:

[b]the Charlotte Assistant position was his dream job[/b]

:smiley: :lol: :smiley: :lol: :smiley: :lol:

Sorry, that statement just sounds funny.

My question is this. What recruits do we now lose out on becuase of his departure? Then, how many do we lose out on in the future? I seem to remember Early hurting us a bit in the recruiting department after leaving us.

It didn’t say he was out yet. He is just in the running for the assistant position. He still might be back here. You people always jumped the gun on stuff like this.

It’s official. Moxley to Maryland. Reported in Observer by Jena and on Maryland website.

Funny how the High Point newspaper mentions that Adams had resigned with the Mystics to return but no mention of Moxley…

[b]"I grew up a die-hard Maryland fan going to games at Cole Field House, and I always wanted to be a coach at Maryland. I never wanted to be a doctor or lawyer or anything like that. This is truly a dream come true. Maryland was the only assistant job I would have left Charlotte for." [/b]
[url=http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/bal-sp.terpshoops16apr16,1,6458582.story?coll=bal-college-mbasketball&ctrack=1&cset=true][b]Terps hire assistants Adams, Moxley[/b][/url], Baltimore Sun [url=http://umterps.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041505aai.html][b]Terrapins Tab Moxley and Adams As Assistant Coaches[/b][/url], UMTeprs.com [url=http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/colleges/university_of_north_carolina_-_charlotte/11409500.htm][b]49ers men's assistant joins Maryland staff[/b][/url], Charlotte Observer

Thanks and good luck Rob!

[b]Maryland basketball coach Gary Williams announced the hiring of former University of Charlotte assistant coach Rob Moxley and former NBA sharpshooter and Washington Mystics head coach Michael Adams as Terrapin assistant coaches on Friday.[/b]

…from umterps.com

At least someone gets it right!!!

From the UMterps.com story. Pretty impressive, plus that is his territory.

Moxley served as the top assistant and recruiting coordinator in Bobby Lutz’s Charlotte program for the past seven years. During his tenure, the 49ers made five NCAA Tournament appearances (1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005), won the Conference USA Tournament twice (1999, 2001) and captured the league’s regular-season title in 2004. An excellent recruiter, four of the classes Moxley helped land were ranked in the Top 20 nationally. His recruiting class in 2000 was 14th in the nation, headlined by 2001 National Freshman of the Year and NBA lottery pick Rodney White.

An excellent teacher as well as recruiter, Moxley’s offensive expertise helped the 49ers experience success in the long-range game. Charlotte ranked second in the nation in 3-point shooting in 2001 (36.0 percent) and has led the conference in long-range proficiency in four of the last six seasons. One of Moxley’s players led C-USA in 3-point shooting in each of his seven seasons.

That’s a BIG loss for Charlotte. Moxley’s my man, he’s the type that will move up REALLY fast.

Big loss but good move for him.

Any talks about possible replacements?