Coach Should Coach

The one thing that has disappointed me most this year, other than free throws, is that Bobby cannot control his emotions at times to help this team. The technical last night allowed Bama to take the lead and really set the tone for the rest of the game. Bama was an excellent team and the niners had to overcome Bama and the technical foul on Coach. I wish Bobby could stay under control and lead this team by example. We have played 5 games and Bobby has two technicals. One technical came when we were up by about 20 points. You never see great coaches out of control.

<< << <_<

[i]Originally posted by 77niner[/i]@Dec 5 2004, 01:44 PM [b] We have played 5 games and Bobby has two technicals. One technical came when we were up by about 20 points. You never see great coaches out of control. [/b]
Uh, Bobby only has one technical this year. I checked the box scores.

Our lead slipping away, players starting to pay too much attention to the refs, Bobby gets a T to attempt to fire up his team. This is a common thing, just trying to fire up the troops. We did too many things so poorly last night that blaming Bobby’s T just isn’t a good enough excuse.

[i]Originally posted by Butter49er[/i]@Dec 5 2004, 02:09 PM [b] Our lead slipping away, players starting to pay too much attention to the refs, Bobby gets a T to attempt to fire up his team. This is a common thing, just trying to fire up the troops. We did too many things so poorly last night that blaming Bobby's T just isn't a good enough excuse. [/b]
Lutz was not "trying to fire up the troops", he would have to be a moron to do so at that time in the game. He simply cannot control himself on the sideline and it has always been a problem. He has a reputation as a whiner and it hurts this team.
[i]Originally posted by 77niner[/i]@Dec 5 2004, 01:44 PM [b] The one thing that has disappointed me most this year, other than free throws, is that Bobby cannot control his emotions at times to help this team. The technical last night allowed Bama to take the lead and really set the tone for the rest of the game. Bama was an excellent team and the niners had to overcome Bama and the technical foul on Coach. I wish Bobby could stay under control and lead this team by example. We have played 5 games and Bobby has two technicals. One technical came when we were up by about 20 points. You never see great coaches out of control.

<< << <_< [/b]

Not that I’m defending Bobby’s actions, but would you rather have a Jeff Mullins that has to have his assistants tell him to get up and argue a call?

“you’re killing us,” that’s what Bobby said to get his technical, heard it clear as day :blink:

The ref misunderstood. Lutz was yelling that at Brendan for missing his free throws.

[i]Originally posted by BigDNiner[/i]@Dec 5 2004, 07:47 PM [b] The ref misunderstood. Lutz was yelling that at Brendan for missing his free throws. [/b]
if thats all he said and he was yelling at brenden. The ref should should be fined big by the ncaa.
[i]Originally posted by finalfourtyniners+Dec 5 2004, 07:33 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (finalfourtyniners @ Dec 5 2004, 07:33 PM)

I rarely criticize coaching, esp. our coach, BUT Bobby BLEW IT BIG TIME!!! His T was purely an out-of-control blast. We had the lead when he got it and shortly after we did NOT!!! The rest of the game was down hill. Usually when a coach gets a T to fire up the team, it’s when they’re losing. This T had the opposite effect.
I hope coach gets some TOUGH questions this week on Lutz Live. He’s got some ‘splanin’ to do.

As for the officiating: they did blow some key calls (the held ball near the end), but this same crew gave us 16 more free throws than bama, SIXTEEN!!! and that, my dear friends is where the REAL problem lies. Our inability to shoot a FT. Sad. Because otherwise, we have 1st class talent that should be undefeated now. Instead we’re 3-2, the 2 losses being AT HOME, FOR GOD’S SAKE!! and 179 in RPI. Disgusting.

[i]Originally posted by finalfourtyniners+Dec 5 2004, 07:33 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (finalfourtyniners @ Dec 5 2004, 07:33 PM)

He was t’d for stepping outside the coaches box. The reality is that Orlando Early should’ve been t’d also for the same thing because he did it every play. That’s what set Lutz off about the Tech.

I’ve never understood this “strategy” of a coach trying to fire his players up by getting a technical foul. I don’t think that’s what Bobby was trying to do. He lost his cool. That T was a six point turnaround wasn’t it? The 2 for the T, two more foul shots for the foul, then the possession on which they scored yet again? That KILLED any and all momentum we had. Personally, I don’t think the refs give Bobby much respect. You can’t tell me that Roy, Coach K, Knight, Self, et al would have gotten a tech for stepping outside the box a couple of times. I think the refs have some sort of reverence for storied coaches and it makes me sick. Sometimes I think that refs are mindful of teeing up a coach because he runs the risk of damaging his reputation from backdoor retaliation from said coach. In that case, a big name coach carries more weight. If I’m a ref, I might be less apt to Tee up Bobby Knight than I would Bobby Lutz, even though chances are Knight would deserve it more ten fold.

It couldn’t have come at a worse time. It was just one of so many ill-timed brain lapses that destroyed us.

Another, of course, was the Withers 5-second call. Late in the game, I’d look up at the clock and think “if we play this right, there’s no way we can lose this game”. Then we’d do something dumb and give them another chance. We have to be COACHED to finish games. We have to understand situations and adapt. That’s coaching.

Coaching for the season = F

If we had

1. Hit 70% of our free throws, or
  2. Not gotten the two technicals

we would have won the game.

As it was, Bama had both of those to go their way and needed it to win. If I had my pick I would take shooting 70% from the stripe. Hello!, they call it the charity stripe guys, not the hardest spot on the floor to make a basket. Maybe if our guys could use the red and blue Pepsi balls and shoot for a Food Lion gift card we would do better because almost anyone they drag out of the stands is shooting better than the team.

I can live with Lutz’s technical as part of the package, kind of like I’ll always accept defensive goaltending on a blocked shot, but I’ll never understand hanging on the rim. Withers normally doesn’t have an issue with this, but what is Iti doing? Does he want to impress us that a 7 footer (okay, 6’ 9" with the arms of a 7 footer) can dunk the ball? I’d bet he has had five of these since he has been here. Maybe he doesn’t understand the rule.

[b]I've never understood this "strategy" of a coach trying to fire his players up by getting a technical foul. I don't think that's what Bobby was trying to do. He lost his cool. That T was a six point turnaround wasn't it? The 2 for the T, two more foul shots for the foul, then the possession on which they scored yet again? That KILLED any and all momentum we had. Personally, I don't think the refs give Bobby much respect. You can't tell me that Roy, Coach K, Knight, Self, et al would have gotten a tech for stepping outside the box a couple of times. I think the refs have some sort of reverence for storied coaches and it makes me sick. Sometimes I think that refs are mindful of teeing up a coach because he runs the risk of damaging his reputation from backdoor retaliation from said coach. In that case, a big name coach carries more weight. If I'm a ref, I might be less apt to Tee up Bobby Knight than I would Bobby Lutz, even though chances are Knight would deserve it more ten fold. [/b]

The reason Bobby gets so little respect is that he hasn’t earned it. He has a reputation as a whiner and is treated as such.

:frowning: